Should we experiment with Moore as a back-man?

Where would you play Darcy?

• KPF/RUCK

• KPD

• Swingman. 50/50.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d just started to feel positive about Buckley next year (and it took a lot of effort), and now we pretty much get confirmation that Darcy’s “trial” down back is pretty much a locked in plan.

Gotta hope that Bucks was talking a bit of crap to make schade feel better about the delisting.

Wow talked about over reaction, how about we see how it plays out????
Reckon a great move by Buck Moore & Howe locks down our defence, a year of Moore down back will settle him in until we get Lynch in 2019 - clear as day.
Thank you

Gotta hope that Bucks was talking a bit of crap to make schade feel better about the delisting.
Christ I hope so. Honestly, our defence was really good with Dunn and Goldsack this year. With McLarty developing we can draft another key defender at 38 and phase the two older guys out over the next couple of years. I get that it’s good for Moore to be flexible, but I just hope his development as a forward doesn’t get compromised.

i think it will end up being a good move i like it
he will be good down back with reid howe dunn goldsack berg
improves the backline midfield looks good just need to improve the forwards a bit lynch 2019

i think it will end up being a good move i like it
he will be good down back with reid howe dunn goldsack berg
improves the backline midfield looks good just need to improve the forwards a bit lynch 2019
Why will he be good down back?

i think he will have good support down back unlike when he plays forward and will build confidence looks like a good defender in the making for me
I’m not seeing that at all. I’d rather he go back to the VFL for an extended period and learn to be the CHF we recruited. It’s time for him to pull his finger out.

I’d just started to feel positive about Buckley next year (and it took a lot of effort), and now we pretty much get confirmation that Darcy’s “trial” down back is pretty much a locked in plan.
I'm happy with the move if that's what we're going with. It tells me that we have a forward option lined up. Either someone in the draft who will be ready to produce in the short term (only Fogarty makes some sense there). Or, much more likely, a KPF by trade or FA next year.

But, Schade's comments are hardly confirmation. He could possibly have been reading too much into Moore being listed as a defensive option. At the very least, Moore should be (and was late) played both forward and back. And if we got an injury to a KPD, Moore can move to defence instead of playing someone like Schade who's not really up to it.

Moore's major asset will, going forward, be his flexibility. Ruck, forward, defence, probably wing. He's going to be wasted in one fixed position. Flexibility is massive in the modern game. It means we don't need to keep a long list of dud back up talls. Hence goodbye Schade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We finally find the perfect second ruck after going through a revolving door through rejects and we want to move down back. Can't I go into a seeing where where I don't see problems till at least the pre sarson matches.
If Moore goes back then Cox is probably a walk up starter to be the 2nd ruckman.

So our key forwards for next year are Reid + Cox.

If Moore goes back then Cox is probably a walk up starter to be the 2nd ruckman.

Well when you say it like that... we're screwed

Moore is definitely going back, Schade confirmed one of the reasons Bucks gave for letting him go was Darce going back

Last edited:
If it ends up that we pick up Lynch next year this could be a master stroke. Moore at one end and Lynch at the other sounds pretty good.

Yes people always value forwards over backs, but in the modern game your defence is where everything starts.

To me it doesn’t matter where Moore plays. Just hoping it is at an elite level. Elite forward or elite back. I’ll take either.

Last edited:
I’m not seeing that at all. I’d rather he go back to the VFL for an extended period and learn to be the CHF we recruited. It’s time for him to pull his finger out.
After a horrible first month, I thought he had a good 2017. A lack of game sense is an issue. If the plan is a stint in defence to improve his game sense and learn better leading patterns - great. If the plan is for him to play as a full time defender, I don't like it. He's not instinctual enough to know when to stick to his man and when to peel off. I suspect that as a defender, he will be a dour stopper.

Just a couple of points that no one has spent any time on:
  • Remember our poor delivery and disposal I50 would have undoubtedly had an effect on his "game sense"
  • He is only 21 and I am tipping the development side of the club will improve hence the coaching appointments
On that I'm thinking it will be an "experiment" whereby we get the right "mix" so it's probably not going to be a CHF only season because of course we've got to take into account opposition/venue/ conditions etc.

I still have doubts on whether Cox can be an effective forward, Reid's body and if the lack of athletism from the pair will hold up.

Why will he be good down back?
Athletic.
Runs at the ball.
Played back as a junior.
Dash for a big guy out the back going forward.

May be a terrific move.
Good it's an option

If it ends up that we pick up Lynch next year this could be a master stroke. Moore at one end and Lynch at the other sounds pretty good.

Yes people always value forwards over backs, but in the modern game your defence is where everything starts.

To me it doesn’t matter where Moore plays. Just hoping it is at an elite level. Elite forward or elite back. I’ll take either.

I’m Switzerland on this one until we see a bit more of it, but for mine you’re right. To me it strongly suggests that we have another legitimate long term forward option in mind.

I think his ball use can make him a legitimate difference maker down back if he can flick the switch from dour spoil first to flying for grabs! He has the traits to be an elite defender which is more important than an elite forward in modern footy, IMO, but we need the development to be bang on.

After a horrible first month, I thought he had a good 2017. A lack of game sense is an issue. If the plan is a stint in defence to improve his game sense and learn better leading patterns - great. If the plan is for him to play as a full time defender, I don't like it. He's not instinctual enough to know when to stick to his man and when to peel off. I suspect that as a defender, he will be a dour stopper.
Just a question, how is a guy as athletic as Moore with such a strong spring and dash ever be dour?
Just don't think he's that type of player.

I like it. Darcy will get more development. We have Reid and the resting Cox or Grundy. We know Darcy can deliver the ball.

I think his ball use can make him a legitimate difference maker down back if he can flick the switch from dour spoil first to flying for grabs! He has the traits to be an elite defender which is more important than an elite forward in modern footy, IMO, but we need the development to be bang on.
You know me Scodog, what's my favourite term right now? And if we get it right it may be more than Moore to get excited about!

Back