Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

If I was a member of the QLD government I'd be extracting every bit of PR benefit out of the deal too. The AFL has proudly received $2 billion in television rights payments of which they are contributing just $10 million out of a required $70 million for these facilities. They expect tax payers to stump up the cash because of a perceived benefit to the local economy, women's sport etc but there's no real business case for this and they never seem to acknowledge that the biggest benefit is to the AFL who need a reasonably even competition that is across all states. Gillon and friends are a bunch of rent seekers.

tenor.gif

I just saw on the news that Cricket Australia is looking for funding to make a new national training centre on the northside, as they're outgrowing the current facilities at Allan Border Field. They linked the funding to the upcoming election and had Graham Quirk on there pumping it up. It would be just our luck to be screwed over by cricket once again.

If there's any funding on the cards we'll find out in the next few weeks it seems.

Didnt Swan say they expected an announcement 'before the end of the season'?... this is one BS saga to withstand as a supporter. Amoung many other... BS sagas.

And from what I hear, the western corridor (Ipswich, Springfield, Ripley, Yarrabilba, Beaudesert etc) will be high on the labor party’s agenda.

I still say stuff Springfield and go to Burpengary, new draftees would rather do a warm down at Bribie Island than than that artificial lagoon at Springfield. I guarantee our current state of club rooms etc is why we can't land a big fish in the trade period. At least Burpengary has something there already and North lakes is growing all the time.

I still say stuff Springfield and go to Burpengary, new draftees would rather do a warm down at Bribie Island than than that artificial lagoon at Springfield. I guarantee our current state of club rooms etc is why we can't land a big fish in the trade period. At least Burpengary has something there already and North lakes is growing all the time.
Ummmmm.... we did land a big fish.
2 actually.

I’ve moved on from debating the location. Decision has been made. Need to move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve moved on from debating the location. Decision has been made. Need to move on.
If Labour have made it an election promise then I really hope the Libs are prepared to match otherwise we might be back to where we started.
I guess we do already have the funding for the training facility itself.

Just for my personal understanding, which is closer to the Gabba. Is it Burpengary or Springfield?
I’ve only been to Burpengary twice but it seemed a long way from everywhere?

Last edited:
Just for my personal understanding, which is closer to the Gabba. Is it Burpengary or Springfield?

I’ve only been to Burpengary twice but it seemed a long way from everywhere?

they are about the same distance ie think Rockingham to Perth but one is near the coast and the other one isn't. One also has some facilities built including an aquatic centre. I come from Perth as well and If I was buying a house it would be out there rather than downtown Springfield, what am I going to show the relatives when they come over the "Ipswich mall". Also I talk to the lions acadamey parents often at training and games and most come from the Sunshine Coast or Aspley and may pull them out if they go to Springfield. Would you rather the next Eric Hipwood or the next Ryan Hooper (Ipswich boy). Check out the traffic on the weekend in summer they are all heading north to Sunshine Coast or south, not many people heading west to Springfield. Pre season and the women's games would be unbearable out there except at night. I also think our early draft player retention may suffer as well as most young men prefer living near the Coast

they are about the same distance ie think Rockingham to Perth but one is near the coast and the other one isn't. One also has some facilities built including an aquatic centre. I come from Perth as well and If I was buying a house it would be out there rather than downtown Springfield, what am I going to show the relatives when they come over the "Ipswich mall". Also I talk to the lions acadamey parents often at training and games and most come from the Sunshine Coast or Aspley and may pull them out if they go to Springfield. Would you rather the next Eric Hipwood or the next Ryan Hooper (Ipswich boy). Check out the traffic on the weekend in summer they are all heading north to Sunshine Coast or south, not many people heading west to Springfield. Pre season and the women's games would be unbearable out there except at night. I also think our early draft player retention may suffer as well as most young men prefer living near the Coast

I think this debate is dead
upload_2017-10-29_13-16-28.jpeg .

Gabba to Burpengary = 49Klms
Gabba to Springfield = 29Klms

Maybe if your a crow , the traffic west , plus the fact there is a tunnel from the Gabba to Kedron makes it about even. It's that last 5 km of the Springfield trip where you turn off the freeway that seems to hit you. It is still not too late to accept the Moreton Bay council offer, they could even put another club like the Springwood one in there to improve their bottom line as there is no competition out there unless you count Costco

In regards to the academy kids, and I have no clue how it works, but I’m surprised we don’t have several club based zone camps, so kids don’t have to travel from all over SEQ for training.

In regards to the academy kids, and I have no clue how it works, but I’m surprised we don’t have several club based zone camps, so kids don’t have to travel from all over SEQ for training.

They seem to be going to Coorparoo which is a stretch for them, then state training is normally at Yeronga but to eventually go to Springfield is a step too far. The Broncos who have a ready made supply of NRL players could get away with going out there but our talent base seems to be on the Sunshine Coast/ Nrt Brisbane ie in the QFL Colts this year Maroochydore won it, Aspley came second and Caloundra was fourth. Why don't they ask the players where they would rather train. I feel passionate about it as having spoken to the GWS people they said they may not have had a club if they stayed out at Blacktown as the exodus of top shelf players would be too much.

Last edited:
Yeah, Bribie Island will definitely make the club super attractive to potential recruits.
???????

Maybe if your a crow , the traffic west , plus the fact there is a tunnel from the Gabba to Kedron makes it about even. It's that last 5 km of the Springfield trip where you turn off the freeway that seems to hit you. It is still not too late to accept the Moreton Bay council offer, they could even put another club like the Springwood one in there to improve their bottom line as there is no competition out there unless you count Costco

No crows involved, only google maps. If parents of the academy kids are threatening to pull out because of Springfield, I would suspect they are not really committed or the kids are no good(kids like Lewy Taylor travelled 100s of Klms a week to train). As far as the Hipwood or Hooper analogy goes, that’s just bollocks, and I bet that within a few years a lot of the academy boys will be from Springfield. As I have said before, there are thousands of expat Victorians living in the Springfield area, most are young families.

Might be a question for Lions insider, get someone from the club to have a chat to the ones who are threatening to pull out of the academy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back