Classic Fitzroy matches!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just in case anyone is interested, the Fitzroy FC Shop has copies of the 1989 Reserves Grand Final for sale at $25. I bought the last of their current batch but they'll be getting more in very soon.

Thanks for the info I wll try to get a copy

Just in case anyone is interested, the Fitzroy FC Shop has copies of the 1989 Reserves Grand Final for sale at $25. I bought the last of their current batch but they'll be getting more in very soon.
Do you know where the Fitzroy shop is located? I would be very interested in a copy if I have any finds - which is unlikely given the arrangements I make with Christian Ganaban.

shop is above a dodgy accountancy firm :D

http://www.fitzroyfc.com.au/merchandise.html

Bill will love that description LOL.

mianfei,

Give them a call first. I got the last copy they had of that game but they were going to reprint it and a few others. Still worth going in for a guernsey or two (old style maroon & blue with white FFC, 70's-90's style royal blue and red with yellow FFC), books, posters, etc.

The end of that game is the worst umpiring i have ever seen at AFL level. I can't remember specifically the goals before it (but i think dodgy frees played a part in them as well), but the last goal went something like: Dodgy free to Crows out of the middle, kicked forward to another dodgy freekick, then Jameson was allowed to take it even though it wasn't his, and he slotted the long winning goal.

Thats how i remember it anyway, but i was pretty young.
The last minute of this game just got a run on The Front Bar for the sole reason of pointing out how bad the umpiring was.

Favourite all time Fitzroy game was in 1992 v Collingwood. Pert puts the pies up with a minute left in the final quarter before Roosy flies over the pack and snaps truly. I remember running on to the field that day and giving Jeremy Guard (who was responsible for our last inside 50 of the game) a big head rub. My best football memory

New to the forum, hope no one minds me joining the chat!

Quite a few games against Essendon stand out in the memory - Tim Watson’s 300th which was one of Brad Boyd’s breakout games - we had a great win that day, Watson’s return from retirement the year before - we lost by a few points only to the eventual Baby Bombers premiers (could have been contenders that year 93), I also remember when I was just a a kid seeing Bill Duckworth hack at Bernie’s Achilles in the 83 semi, it was like watching Superman go down. And the 86 EF of course, my favourite Fitzroy memory (I’m sure I’m not alone!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New to the forum, hope no one minds me joining the chat!

Quite a few games against Essendon stand out in the memory - Tim Watson’s 300th which was one of Brad Boyd’s breakout games - we had a great win that day, Watson’s return from retirement the year before - we lost by a few points only to the eventual Baby Bombers premiers (could have been contenders that year 93), I also remember when I was just a a kid seeing Bill Duckworth hack at Bernie’s Achilles in the 83 semi, it was like watching Superman go down. And the 86 EF of course, my favourite Fitzroy memory (I’m sure I’m not alone!)

Great to have u on board mate. Go roys!

Memorable moments from those games:

Vs WCE - Jason Baldwin's miraculous 'eyes closed - twisting 360 degrees in the air on the run' mark
vs Coll - Matty Dundas kicking 5 goals straight (along with Lynchy) in the torrential rain including a torpedoe from the boundary line!!! Might of been Simon Hawking's first game too?
vs Crows - we won the last 4-games against Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne (see the theme?). Up until the loss against Essendon on a ripper Friday night match at the mighty G, we were going to play finals. That game set up a little losing streak that made us lose touch with the Final 6 and the last 4-games gave us a 10-10 win/loss ratio and was a huge "what coulda been" before the mass exodus at the end of the season.

1993 was an amazing year for the Roys and if we could've managed to hold on to Lynchy etc... we would've given it a shake in '94? :rolleyes:

I remember 93 well, we could have been real contenders that year. If memory serves, Roos broke his jaw in a state game and we lost 4 in a row - it may have been 94. Good list around that time

I remember 93 well, we could have been real contenders that year. If memory serves, Roos broke his jaw in a state game and we lost 4 in a row - it may have been 94. Good list around that time

We were certainly contenders...our season went downhill when Osborne, not Roos, was hit from behind by Worsfold in the state game,and his jaw was broken.Worsfold is a strange one,unloved with every good reason.And of course had no responsibility for the personal and collective disasters that engulfed West Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were certainly contenders...our season went downhill when Osborne, not Roos, was hit from behind by Worsfold in the state game,and his jaw was broken.Worsfold is a strange one,unloved with every good reason.And of course had no responsibility for the personal and collective disasters that engulfed West Coast.
Worsfold broke Osborne's jaw in the 92 Game; Roos suffered a similar (accidental this time) fate at the hands of Martin Leslie the following year. Both incidents had an immediate negative impact on Fitzroy's respective seasons after the side had built up a fair bit of momentum.

Worsfold broke Osborne's jaw in the 92 Game; Roos suffered a similar (accidental this time) fate at the hands of Martin Leslie the following year. Both incidents had an immediate negative impact on Fitzroy's respective seasons after the side had built up a fair bit of momentum.

It’s the Roos one I remember I think. We were up against North at Princes Park and won by only a point a two. There was talk in the media that he’d come back early for that game but it didn’t happen, he did walk out of the players race just after the team but he was in his suit! I remember Lynch gave Carey a bath that day, Lynch in 93 was one of the best seasons I remember an individual player having. All Australian full back but kicked about 60 goals as well

It’s the Roos one I remember I think. We were up against North at Princes Park and won by only a point a two. There was talk in the media that he’d come back early for that game but it didn’t happen, he did walk out of the players race just after the team but he was in his suit! I remember Lynch gave Carey a bath that day, Lynch in 93 was one of the best seasons I remember an individual player having. All Australian full back but kicked about 60 goals as well

That's amazing...a 60 goal AA full back!

Im going back maybe to early 70s. At the Junction oval the day the fog rolled in off the bay in the last quarter. You couldnt see more than 50 yards. The umpire had to run the length of the field to signal to the other goal umpire a goal had been scored before he could bounce the ball.:)

Im thinking it was against Carlton as that why I would have been there and im not 100% but I think the Blues won in a close one.

Im going back maybe to early 70s. At the Junction oval the day the fog rolled in off the bay in the last quarter. You couldnt see more than 50 yards. The umpire had to run the length of the field to signal to the other goal umpire a goal had been scored before he could bounce the ball.:)

Im thinking it was against Carlton as that why I would have been there and im not 100% but I think the Blues won in a close one.

The fog game at Junction Oval was Round 21, August 21 1971. Fitzroy won by 23 points.
FXB240428.jpg

The fog game at Junction Oval was Round 21, August 21 1971. Fitzroy won by 23 points.
FXB240428.jpg
Correct...I was there and enjoyed giving Barassi a serve as he walked up the race after.We had the makings of a terrific team,but bad coaching and administration cost us,and promising talent like Shanahan,Weatherly...really good forwards, left,and recruits,especially those from interstate, were mucked around.

Started going to the footy in 91' so didnt get to many Roys games but a couple I did that I remember were:

92 rd 2

Fitz def Ess. Was bloody hot and the new big screen wouldnt work... kept fizzling on and off... Fitzroy couldve won by 150 but Ess kicked like 11 goals in the last qtr to male it a "respectable" 10 goal loss..

1995 i think.. footy park... Fitzroy beat Adelaide on a Friday night... was hilarious hearing 45000 crows fans moaning

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

There was a game I remember was when Ossie kicked 10 goals against my tigers. I think it was 1992 or sometime around then. He played awesome that day.

Also the 1986 final series, my late godfather who supported Fitzroy had cancer and he and I went to see the Fitzroy v Essendon when Mickey Conlan kicked the goal to put the Lions in front. The Essendon crowd was silent. It was such great day. I remember that day because he got excited about beating Essendon by a point. The scores

Fitzroy 8.10.58 def Essendon 8.9.57 VFL Park Waverley September 6th in front of 59,420 people :thumbsu:
Ossie Kicked 8.7 in this game, he should of kicked about 15 that day, only ever got double once for Fitzroy 11 v Melbourne in 1989

Remove this Banner Ad

Back