Opinion Players who need a big 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Heppell's placing in the B and F vindicates his role as a midfielder, and puts to bed, the ridiculous notion he should play defence - He's a very good inside midfielder who can also sit on an opposition mid.

Heppell a better defender and user of the ball? I'd say that Gleeson is better than Heppell at every part of the game that is relevant to being a defender (though maybe Heppell is a bit stronger taking a contest mark - a little bit) . If Heppell is a better 'defender' it's not based on anything he has shown in a game of football I've seen. It's more of a positive for Gleeson than negative for Heppell - Gleeson's defensive work has become very good culminating in being one of our best players in that elimination final under the extreme pressure of a midfield capitulation.

The point is that there is nothing to be gained by Heppell playing in defence where the only role he could play would be Gleeson's. He's slow, his kicking is hardly the stuff of a quarter-back and he's no more than a mid-sized defender. Heppell won a rising star playing as a largely unaccountable half back a long time ago.

Heppell is 100% a better user of the footy than Gleeson.

And Gleeson is far from a 'very good' defender. He's a very good intercept player - but his one on one defensive work especially is very poor.

Heppell is 100% a better user of the footy than Gleeson.

And Gleeson is far from a 'very good' defender. He's a very good intercept player - but his one on one defensive work especially is very poor.

What have you ever seen from Heppell that indicates that he is any better?

As for the very poor one on one defensive work, Gleeson's season was more than that contest against Rohan.

What have you ever seen from Heppell that indicates that he is any better?

As for the very poor one on one defensive work, Gleeson's season was more than that contest against Rohan.

We're getting off topic - the coaching panel seems to be a big fan of Gleeson and that's great. I just don't rate his defensive work, though I can see his value in other areas.

As for the thread title, apart from the obvious Langford and Laverde, I think Myers really needs to lift and I also think Mason Redman needs to show us something.

People are harsh on Gleeson. Credit to the guy, when he gets sent back to the VFL, he actually works on the reason he was dropped. He has improved considerably every year and is now in our best 22. Considering Kelly and McGrath will be leaving the backline, he will become more valuable to us.

Myers will need to improve on this years effort, we will need his big body more than every before.

Colyer (if he is still with us) needs to improve on this years output if he wants to play every game again. Hopefully he can get back to his 2015 form.

Langford and Laverde both have question marks over their heads. So hopefully both prove they can play at the level.

Redman, Morgan & Francis also will want to improve dramatically for 2018. (If they are all on our list.)

Heppell's placing in the B and F vindicates his role as a midfielder, and puts to bed, the ridiculous notion he should play defence - He's a very good inside midfielder who can also sit on an opposition mid.
How many people are seriously arguing he should be playing defence?

I can't exactly recall coming across a groundswell of such sentiment.

IT'S BEEN been mentioned in passing on more than one occasion - Heppell is a midfielder and one that's important to the team's set up.

IT'S BEEN been mentioned in passing on more than one occasion - Heppell is a midfielder and one that's important to the team's set up.

A McGrath/Heppell rotation off the back flank wouldn't be the end of the world.

No one's suggesting Dyson play 100% game time at full back or anything.

Im going to pick out 4 guys who the club has shown faith in and given contracts to until the end of 2019 - but they have yet to really show much...
These 4 guys need to improve & show much more than what they have thus far;-

Francis - pick #6 but only 5 AFL games and his ability to play out an entire AFL game questionable
Myers - has his fans, (Im not one of them!), but like Francis was pick #6 and has hardly lived up to that - love to be proven wrong
Redman - yet to debut but has shown glimpses in the VFL. Drafted as a forward but may be an option down back...can he have a breakout year in 2018?
Colyer - not sure where he is at - has pace - but does he have anything else..??
redman has debuted....3 games in 2016

Almost every player needs to step up. The game evolves and everyone gets better, if we don't then we will go backwards - so actually I would expect every player to be mentioned.

Special mentions for:

Francis - I reckon after he has a strong preseason we should play him & leave Gleenson in the VFL
I have nightmares when Gary Rohan ragdolled Gleeson to take that mark which won Syd that game.

Redman - We haven't seen him play. He has been good in VFL,
Could replace Gleeson if Francis doesn't. Needs to put on weight. But only his 3rd year in the system & has speed, Skill, courage, bit of mongrel about him. One to watch.

Laverde - will probably get a lesser player when playing in sides with Stringer & Stewart in it. This kid will get better. I have been a harsh critic but I have lots of time for him.

Langford - Another who should be a lock every week. Like Lav needs to scream play with his work on the track. Expect a massive break out year from him.

Draper: experimental ruck are a dime a dozen in this comp, especially at Essendon. Give the guy a crack. Hopefully he is good enough around the grounds to dislodge the TBC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost every player needs to step up. The game evolves and everyone gets better, if we don't then we will go backwards - so actually I would expect every player to be mentioned.

Special mentions for:

Francis - I reckon after he has a strong preseason we should play him & leave Gleenson in the VFL
I have nightmares when Gary Rohan ragdolled Gleeson to take that mark which won Syd that game.

Redman - We haven't seen him play. He has been good in VFL,
Could replace Gleeson if Francis doesn't. Needs to put on weight. But only his 3rd year in the system & has speed, Skill, courage, bit of mongrel about him. One to watch.

Laverde - will probably get a lesser player when playing in sides with Stringer & Stewart in it. This kid will get better. I have been a harsh critic but I have lots of time for him.

Langford - Another who should be a lock every week. Like Lav needs to scream play with his work on the track. Expect a massive break out year from him.

Draper: experimental ruck are a dime a dozen in this comp, especially at Essendon. Give the guy a crack. Hopefully he is good enough around the grounds to dislodge the TBC.
Why are you obsessed with dropping probably our second best defender this year?

Why are you obsessed with dropping probably our second best defender this year?

Sorry mate you must have me confused with another poster.

Defo no obsession here brown doggy.

You would agree that a fit fireing Francis would be vastly superior than Gleeson though.... seems obvious to me.

Come on Yaco, you're better than this. You are.

Sounds like you're trying to create discussion when there is no discussion to be had

Yet the post directly after my post discussed Heppell spending time in defence.

Sorry mate you must have me confused with another poster.

Defo no obsession here brown doggy.

You would agree that a fit fireing Francis would be vastly superior than Gleeson though.... seems obvious to me.
Gleeson in the second half of the year would have been in the first 10 players selected. If Francis is "vastly superior" he would be AA.

Entering his 3rd season, young Mason Redman has hardly set the world on fire to even be close to AFL ready yet.

Only 3 of his 37 games with the club have come at senior level. Whilst he is still young (21 next August), he has hardly dominated games at either level.
Id like the club to settle him in a position, seems to have been thrown around everywhere. Id continue with the backline experiment while also chucking him in the middle for stints perhaps swapping with Mutch.

I'm just gonna focus on fringe and lower players - so no mention of our better players.

Redman: His first season was promising and he drifted in his second season. Will be moving into delist territory if he can't at least start to break into the emergencies and put some pressure on the best 22.

Francis: Lets see him get himself fit. Actually has a skillset that will translate straight into AFL when they believe he can run out games properly. Hartley/Brown/Ambrose aren't impossible to pass as players (although I do really like Ambrose).

Langford: Spent the year developing as a midfielder in the VFL - I reckon worst case scenario we get a solid best 22 player who has good size, athleticism and marking. We are going to have some gun smaller mids but he could add another dimension around the stoppages. He's the most important of all these players listed in terms of how badly we need him to succeed and luckily I think he's the most likely to make it.

Laverde: The time to move into the midfield is now and I think it would be best for him because his kicking is pretty poor and is a weakness in the forward line. Has a nice size and pretty good pace with good marking. There's some really good things about him as a player. He desperately needs to stay fit for the first time in his career. I'm so-so about his overall chances.

Morgan/Jerrett/Long - Not gonna make it.

I'm really excited about Begley/Ridley/Mutch/Draper - I hope they all continue to develop and get some games at AFL level (maybe not for Draper just yet). Begley I think should play every game or close enough. Our new recruits will make it a more challenging best 22 to get into though.

I think the sentiment derives from him starting his career down back.

His best position has to be in the middle - he played a few really impressive games this year, particularly round 1 against Hawthorne.

Two things I'd like to see him get better at:
  • Clearances by foot (when in congestion)
  • Greater Physical Strength

Remove this Banner Ad

Back