Remove this Banner Ad

Coldacre

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
watching the 1993 shootout against Geelong right now. don’t know why I haven’t noticed this before but....

Gary Ablett's sole opponent for the first 53 minutes of the game is Derek Kickett. that’s right; Kickett is playing at full back. he gets absolutely slaughtered. mostly by Ablett, but a fair bit by the umpires as well! (commentators call it fairly)

8 minutes into the 3rd quarter, Ablett has kicked 11 goals and Sheeds FINALLY puts another player on Ablett (Hird). the question is....

why?

Fletchers out there. he’s only a pup, but he’s on a half back flank for the entire game.

man can't you use the original autopsy thread?
The board isn't quite that old :p

Actually it's probably good if we have some threads about past games (the good ones!) maybe people can choose their favourites and do a bit of a write up about them over the off-season? Can even do re-watches if we can find footage of it on youtube or something.

What a game. Was in the Ponsford with my brother.
Everytime the ball went into Geelongs forward line, one of us would say “Goal to Ablett”
Absolutely unstoppable, though I don’t recall Kickett being on him that long. (I think a few had a go in the end)
Even Fletch in his prime wouldn’t have helped much.
Just lucky he didn’t kick straight, could have had 21.

What a game. Was in the Ponsford with my brother.
Everytime the ball went into Geelongs forward line, one of us would say “Goal to Ablett”
Absolutely unstoppable, though I don’t recall Kickett being on him that long. (I think a few had a go in the end)
Even Fletch in his prime wouldn’t have helped much.
Just lucky he didn’t kick straight, could have had 21.
I was there too. Possibly the greatest game of footy I have seen live. Ablett was ridiculous although Fish (and Alessio after Fish went off injured) down the other end weren't too bad either.

Was in the bleeds behind punt road goals with a birds eye view with a mate. Top 5 games I’ve ever been to.

Have seen the replay that many times that the main highlights blend into what I actually remember live. My main live memory however was Grenvold kicking the sealer on the run from 45-50 to the city end.

Also think that was the game that gave the lads belief we could win the flag, given the strength of the Cats.

I remember that game too. I was there. Salmon was just as good with 10 till three quarter time. Just that Ablett was such a freak ... and got such a friggen ride by the umps. Imagine if Buddy Franklin got that sort of ride!

Not to bag out Yablett .. the man has a 3 hour highlight reel!

watching the 1993 shootout against Geelong right now. don’t know why I haven’t noticed this before but....

Gary Ablett's sole opponent for the first 53 minutes of the game is Derek Kickett. that’s right; Kickett is playing at full back. he gets absolutely slaughtered. mostly by Ablett, but a fair bit by the umpires as well! (commentators call it fairly)

8 minutes into the 3rd quarter, Ablett has kicked 11 goals and Sheeds FINALLY puts another player on Ablett (Hird). the question is....

why?

Fletchers out there. he’s only a pup, but he’s on a half back flank for the entire game.
Folklore has it that the essendon coaching box was of the opinion resources were better spent focussing on the other players, as they believed nothing would stop ablett.

But i think that story also goes that they tried many options before arriving at this - which would appear to go against the facts as you say 'em.

Caught the last quarter of this on Fox as well. I was at that game, if only I knew at the time it was going to be the start of a premiership run. If I remember correctly we had a pretty average run coming in to this game but it was then that we started to believe.

Prelim that year was also one of the best I've ever been to.

Just a reminder that Gary Ablett Sr was the GOAT. Unbelievable player, don’t know of anyone else that made everyone else seem inferior. This game, ‘89 finals ( that goal on the boundary in ‘89 Prelim against us!).

There was a State of Origin game I think in his first breakout season ‘84 where Ablett kicked 8 goals for Vics. He was playing against the best players in the comp and he stood out amongst all of them, was on another level.

I haven't seen the game for years but I seem to remember Chris Daniher playing on Ablett for a fair while.

Ablett is the best I've seen. The man could do anything. Imagine how good he could have been if he was dedicated.

One of my favourite games, I was a bay or two away from being behind the punt road goals.

I've deliberately never watched a replay as I don't want to potentially realise watching it back that it may not be as awesome as my memory tells me it was!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't seen the game for years but I seem to remember Chris Daniher playing on Ablett for a fair while.

Ablett is the best I've seen. The man could do anything. Imagine how good he could have been if he was dedicated.

He was a freak in every area. Quick, huge leap, huge kick, strong as a bull, aggressive, great skills.

Definitely the best there's been... sounds a lot like how people spoke of Coleman.

Fish needs a mention, one of my all time favourites, the more he copped off Ess fans the more I loved him.
Fish getting booed is one of the most disgraceful things I have seen from Essendon fans. He was a legend! It was fantastic to get him back, even if just for a year.

he was never his direct opponent. he’s there trying to spoil Ablett in some of the long bombs into Geelongs forward line, hell there’s 2-3 guys trying to spoil... but Kickett was his direct opponent up until 10 into the 3rd when Hirdy is moved onto him.

I did enjoy seeing Harvs give Ablett some stick!! he copped a ridiculously soft free against Harvs and he has no qualms about giving Yablett a spray! :D

G Ablett Senior, 1993-1995, aged 31 to nearly 34.

355 goals in 58 H & A games... (only 31 Brownlow votes..!).

He was a player like no other.
No player ever like him until...Stringer arrived at Essendon.

I was at that game and it was brilliant. I think I recall Watson was on him at some point...hell everyone was on him, and tbh Ablett was...perfect.

I remember sitting in our spare room as a 16yo doing a year 12 essay (can't remember the subject though) on our then pretty modern IBM 386 computer with this game on the radio. Not much of the essay was written during the game nor in the immediate aftermath.

Highlight was the game saving mark by wanganeen, just a kid.

It's going end to end, helter skelter, next geelong foray Wanga with no fear of how he'd land takes a ride on hickmott (I think?) And knocks himself out on the way down

Pretty sure we went through other way, scored and away we went

Remove this Banner Ad

Back