2017 Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam McClure on SEN this morning said that he's got it on good authority the Lions will take Rayner, the Dockers will take LDU, and Carlton will take Dow.

Hearing it on SEN probably doesn't count as a rumour though. Best I've got.

That's very possible.

Pick 4 and 5 will be interesting.

North will go Cerra or Stephenson, Fogarty the dark horse going off of some comments around the traps.

I think Freo is the unpredictable one, most people are just lumping a tall with them, after hearing their recruiting guys, it seems pretty clear they will take another mid.

Sam McClure on SEN this morning said that he's got it on good authority the Lions will take Rayner, the Dockers will take LDU, and Carlton will take Dow.

Think blues will take cerra before Dow.Rayner will be a flight risk big time.Lions would be better to take Dow country boy.

Other end of the draft, but have heard (ie read on here) that Port are (or were) keen on Jackson Ross as draft age talent, and Liam Ryan and Bailey Banfield as mature agers.

I've heard Fogarty to North as well
If Cerra isn’t selected by North then lock him in for pick 5. Freo keen on Cerra.
I’m in the minority but feel two midfielders will be our go. One of Rayner/LDU/Dow at 2. I wouldn’t rule out Brayshaw at 5 if Cerra is gone. Stephenson and Fogerty also options.

Other end of the draft, but have heard (ie read on here) that Port are (or were) keen on Jackson Ross as draft age talent, and Liam Ryan and Bailey Banfield as mature agers.
Not the best work ethic Ryan. But if he is going to succeed getting out if Perth would be a big help.

If Cerra isn’t selected by North then lock him in for pick 5. Freo keen on Cerra.
I’m in the minority but feel two midfielders will be our go. One of Rayner/LDU/Dow at 2. I wouldn’t rule out Brayshaw at 5 if Cerra is gone. Stephenson and Fogerty also options.
You've listed the seven most highly fancied players in the draft. That's not a rumour.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've listed the seven most highly fancied players in the draft. That's not a rumour.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Sorry champ I’ll leave this thread for the club’s recruiting staff to log on and post their plans.

The whispers were related to Cerra and Fremantle having a strong interest. The rest is prob captain obvious stuff as you say but I was responding to the conversation on Fremantle’s obsession with reaching for a tall.

McClure is a coach for Xavier College I think he would get decent mail talking to players and family's of players

Are you getting that from the recently published article from his interview?
There's been a few rumours from different posters/sources on the Lions board in the last week or so, all mentioning Rayner as potentially pick 1. There hasn't been any rumour about any other player, only discussion about who suits us best at 1.

However Bishop strongly links us to LDU.

There's been a few rumours from different posters/sources on the Lions board in the last week or so, all mentioning Rayner as potentially pick 1. There hasn't been any rumour about any other player, only discussion about who suits us best at 1.

However Bishop strongly links us to LDU.

Hmm who knows fair chance that the Lions themselves haven't decided 100% yet who they'll take.

In case you're interested, our best ITK poster says Lions will choose between Rayner & Dow. Although that was like over a week ago so things could have changed.

Hmm who knows fair chance that the Lions themselves haven't decided 100% yet who they'll take.

In case you're interested, our best ITK poster says Lions will choose between Rayner & Dow. Although that was like over a week ago so things could have changed.

It sounds easy as players can say all the right things in interviews but the Lions need to go for the guy least likely to leave after a few years (within reason of course as they should only pick one of the top 4 guys with their number 1 pick).

It sounds easy as players can say all the right things in interviews but the Lions need to go for the guy least likely to leave after a few years (within reason of course as they should only pick one of the top 4 guys with their number 1 pick).

Saw an SEN article with the following snippet:

The Lions coach said the club interviewed 30 young players at the draft combine and said years of honing the process believes he’s adept at sniffing out those with a reluctance to travel outside their home state.

“You pick up players who have a really strong preference to stay in Victoria and that makes you think twice,” he said.

Not always going to get it right but i think ultimately clubs will pick up whether a player is being genuine or not or at least keep getting better at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back