Sorry Jeff, but we do not want more big games in Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Just Jeff singing the song he has to sing Re: our main sponsor.

Never going to get the big clubs travelling down, if the AFL ever does decide to get nasty and force us out of Tassie, THEN you'll see us playing the big drawing clubs in Launny, to screw us, complemented by rostering us to play the low drawing teams at the G and Etihad. Direct financial sabotage.

As a Tassie member, it does get boring seeing the same interstate teams on rotation, and no doubt it's hurting attendance amongst neutral Tassie supporters who might otherwise go. Also don't underestimate the impact North in Hobart has had, that's probably 2-3 k of Neutral supporters in the South who no longer have to go to Launceston for their AFL fix.

that's probably 2-3 k of Neutral supporters in the South who no longer have to go to Launceston for their AFL fix.
Tasmanians wouldnt necessarily be neutral
There would be plenty of supporters aligned through their families due to previous heros.
Baldock, Hart, Hudson,Richardson etc.

Tasmanians wouldnt necessarily be neutral
There would be plenty of supporters aligned through their families due to previous heros.
Baldock, Hart, Hudson,Richardson etc.

I was in Burnie on Grand Final day in 1999 and there were plenty of Carlton banners in people's yards.

When I was in Burnie last year for work though I noticed quite a lot of Hawks gear around.

Loving your rounding up of the Melbourne population from 3.848 million and rounding down of little old Launie from 106,153.

But that aside, do you mean the 'heartland' that has to accommodate 9 other Vic teams (10 if you include Geelong). Also, your arguments show a bit of ignorance regarding travel distance and population zones in Tassie, for example, travelling from Hobart (and surrounds), Devonport, Burnie and even Wynyard, would be around 1.5 to 2 hours to get to Launceston, which is similar to the outer suburbs of Melbourne, particularly with traffic congestion.

In addition, I would argue that any new markets in both Vic and Tas have largely dried up, e.g. If you like AFL then you probably already have a team.

Lastly, Vic is well known as the sporting capital of Australia which means multiple sports are competing for market share, in Tassie I believe we have two big national streams the V8's (once a year) and AFL (a handful of games) that we can watch live.

So please stop being selfish, spare a thought for others, and suck it up. Tasmania has the highest rates of people living below the poverty line out of any Australian state and the lowest wages in the country. Please allow your little brothers and sisters from the south that love AFL and the Hawks to taste the scraps from Victoria; after all you all have significantly more opportunities to watch high level sport than we do, and you also get replacement games, you really have nothing to whinge about, other than having to share the city with 3.847 million other people, isn't peak hour a bitch.

Where is the reasoning for Victoria's 2nd largest membership club to play Collingwood (Haw v Coll home and away average 71,000 since 2007), Geelong (Haw v Geel home and away average 73,000 since 2007) and Essendon (Haw v Ess MCG average 65,000 since 2007) in a region where the population is in decline?

Where is the reasoning for Victoria's 2nd largest membership club to play Collingwood (Haw v Coll home and away average 71,000 since 2007), Geelong (Haw v Geel home and away average 73,000 since 2007) and Essendon (Haw v Ess MCG average 65,000 since 2007) in a region where the population is in decline?

Where have I ever stated that we should play any of those teams in Tassie?

I believe if you take the blinkers off and re-read my comments re the Tassie deal you will see that I'm pretty clear on where I stand and accept that playing interstate teams along with lower crowd pulling Vic teams is ok, this being said I also acknowledge that some in Tassie supporters are frustrated by these draws.

I actually don't mind watching the Hawks play interstate teams; I also don’t mind going to North games, as I have said before, we get very limited opportunities to watch top tier sport live down here.

I understand that playing larger Vic teams isn’t financially viable, and isn't fair and reasonable to supporters in Vic, I'm more than happy with the current arrangement. It's all about 'compromise' re what's in the best interest of the Club and all of its supporters, this is a word that a very small proportion of posters on here are not familiar with. Most understand the benefits of the Tassie deal.

There is no reasoning, you know that, the AFL know that & the Tassie Gov know that, but what Jeff has just done is give our major sponsor a fairly large advertising plug.
Tasmania is currently being spoken about in the papers, on the radio & in forums like this all due to Jeffs comments. That’s exactly what the Tas Gov wants.... the word Tasmania being said, the state being spoken about.

Some Hawk dorks won’t be able to see that due to wearing their political glasses :rolleyes:

I've heard a rumour if Liberal lose the Tassie state election next May our deal could be voided by the end of 2018 ? Not sure how true this is ?

It's highly unlikely they will lose, but even if they do Labor set up the deal in the first place and is very supportive of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly, the fact that the Tassie taxpayers are the major sponsor of Hawthorn and that the club has 9000 members in the State. Perhaps, you should think about that. If the club doesn't want the sponsorship, forego it, and be prepared by the AFL to be bled. I'm sure the club would love to forego all that sponsorhip revenue combined with the hit of playing the garbage clubs at Docklands.

As far as Jeff Kennett is concerned, he is dead set right in letting the AFL know that Tasmanians deserve better Hawthorn games other then the rubbish they keep getting served up year after year. Possibly a reason for the disappointing crowds in melbourne is because Hawthorn's crowds have become too spoilt and complacent so schedule better and more games in Launceston.

Last edited:
I’m sure they know Jeff is just blowing smoke up the Tassie gov’s arse
If everyone knows isnt it just a useless exercise that just upsets Hawthorn members?
Basically talking s**t for the sake of talking s**t

Im sure AUDI would rather we played big Melbourne clubs at the G and on FTA as would most of our supporters and definitely all the opposition supporters

Not sure if I'm allowed to post in this thread, but I come intending no harm.

One of the increasingly apparent issues your club faces in the next couple of years is that clubs like Adelaide are becoming very vocal about getting more MCG games, making it hard for the AFL to fixture bigger interstate clubs down in Tassie without them kicking a stink. I'm actually suprised that we weren't scheduled a Tassie game as the return fixture to allow an interstate club an extra MCG game, we've got 7 which is the most that I can remember for a long time.

On a positive, if you guys return to Melbourne full time you can have our MCG home games and we can then return to 11 in Geelong. That would take you up to 8? I think. Time to kick Essendon and Carlton back to the Dome as well.

Loving your rounding up of the Melbourne population from 3.848 million and rounding down of little old Launie from 106,153.

But that aside, do you mean the 'heartland' that has to accommodate 9 other Vic teams (10 if you include Geelong). Also, your arguments show a bit of ignorance regarding travel distance and population zones in Tassie, for example, travelling from Hobart (and surrounds), Devonport, Burnie and even Wynyard, would be around 1.5 to 2 hours to get to Launceston, which is similar to the outer suburbs of Melbourne, particularly with traffic congestion.

In addition, I would argue that any new markets in both Vic and Tas have largely dried up, e.g. If you like AFL then you probably already have a team.

Lastly, Vic is well known as the sporting capital of Australia which means multiple sports are competing for market share, in Tassie I believe we have two big national streams the V8's (once a year) and AFL (a handful of games) that we can watch live.

So please stop being selfish, spare a thought for others, and suck it up. Tasmania has the highest rates of people living below the poverty line out of any Australian state and the lowest wages in the country. Please allow your little brothers and sisters from the south that love AFL and the Hawks to taste the scraps from Victoria; after all you all have significantly more opportunities to watch high level sport than we do, and you also get replacement games, you really have nothing to whinge about, other than having to share the city with 3.847 million other people, isn't peak hour a bitch.

Growth? How about tassie kids growing up and moving to Melbourne when they grow up?

What about going the whole of Melbourne not just se suburbs?

Tassie crowds are toast, I reckon Victorians and south Tasmanians are jack of travelling there

If everyone knows isnt it just a useless exercise that just upsets Hawthorn members?
Basically talking s**t for the sake of talking s**t

Im sure AUDI would rather we played big Melbourne clubs at the G and on FTA as would most of our supporters and definitely all the opposition supporters

Do Audi even Tasmania?

Possibly, the fact that the Tassie taxpayers are the major sponsor of Hawthorn and that the club has 9000 members in the State. Perhaps, you should think about that. If the club doesn't want the sponsorship, forego it, and be prepared by the AFL to be bled. I'm sure the club would love to forego all that sponsorhip revenue combined with the hit of playing the garbage clubs at Docklands.

As far as Jeff Kennett is concerned, he is dead set right in letting the AFL know that Tasmanians deserve better Hawthorn games other then the rubbish they keep getting served up year after year. Hawthorn members in melbourne are way too spoilt anyway and way too complacent which accounts for so many disappointing crowds in for melbourne games.

The Tasmanian membership as proportion of total membership is declining and as a major sponsorship agreement of one of the biggest AFL clubs in the country, its close to market rate tbh.

As for disappointing crowds in Melbourne, well that I a bit of a fallacy. Hawthorn has been in the top 3 drawing Victorian clubs (in terms of Melb based attendances against comparable teams) for more then 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back