The 2018 Fixture - Announcements.

Remove this Banner Ad

It was my understanding the 'double up' fixtures were basically that you played 3 teams around you twice and 2 'others' (traditional/ derby/blockbusters et), and for some teams this is true. Eg-
Carlton play 1, 10, 13, 14, 17
Collingwood play 3, 7, 14, 16, 18

How is it then, that Freo play 3 top 8 teams twice when they finished 14th?
Freo play 5, 7, 8, 13, 16

Surely the AFL saw this. Or they saw it and ignored it.

Heck, even Essendon who finished IN the top 8 only play two top 8 teams twice.

The Carton Friday Fiasco, Gold Coat getting the pineapple, West Coast trip to Tassie, Melbourne and Sydney both look like they were forgotten about until Gil realised there were two more clubs who weren't on the fixtures.

This is clearly the least balanced fixture released in all the time I've been following footy. They couldn't have tried to do a more incompetent job.

You had one job.

I'm sorry but who gets home games as an away side and home finals when they aren't earnt??
Afl teams get home state finals like it’s been for the last 15 years or so. You’re the only Victorian team who has had a Home final on a ground you don’t share with anyone. Was a silly decision at the time and I doubt will be repeated anytime soon.

It was my understanding the 'double up' fixtures were basically that you played 3 teams around you twice and 2 'others' (traditional/ derby/blockbusters et), and for some teams this is true. Eg-

The Carton Friday Fiasco, Gold Coat getting the pineapple, West Coast trip to Tassie, Melbourne and Sydney both look like they were forgotten about until Gil realised there were two more clubs who weren't on the fixtures.

This is clearly the least balanced fixture released in all the time I've been following footy. They couldn't have tried to do a more incompetent job.

You had one job.
It's broken into groups of six. Look at it as an opportunity for your team to harden up perhaps?

I'd be happy with the fixture if I was a Geelong supporter.

- 9 Geelong games to get genuine home ground advantage
- 7 MCG games to get accustomed to the ground where the Grand Final (and Victorian finals) are played.

That is pretty good if you ask me.
Sure they will still find something to complain about.

You had one job.
How would that remotely work if you think about it for one second. I don't have the time to explain how logistically that would just not work.

After finals the Ladder is broken into 3 groups of 6: 1-6,7-12,13-18.

You play two to three from your bracket, and one to two from each of the other two. However, there is one caveat: top 6 can only play one bottom 6 twice (and vice versa).

So for Freo, your double ups are West Coast (top 6), Hawthorn (Mid 6), Brisbane (Bottom 6), Gold Coast (Bottom 6) and North Melbourne (Bottom 6).

Maybe I'm mis-reading things, but your top 6 double up was to be expected, and they were the only club to play in the top 8?

Cats are like the fat bloke in front of the ice cream tub. The ice cream being kp, you know another scoop will make you feel good for that moment however it’s not going to help you on prom night get the girl.
That sounds oddly specific? Were you that fat guy in the ice cream tub who missed out on the girl on prom night?

So for Freo, your double ups are West Coast (top 6), Hawthorn (Mid 6), Brisbane (Bottom 6), Gold Coast (Bottom 6) and North Melbourne (Bottom 6).
Sure you're looking at 2018 fixture? Freo's double ups are: West Coast (5th), Port (7th), Essendon (8th), Collingwood (13th) and Carlton (16th).

It’s a crowd puller being on a holiday and the only game that day
The so called Collingwood Queens Birthday “marquee fixture” which you mention has been of no financial benefit to the Pies. Melbourne have snaffled the gate every year for the last 18 seasons. Eddie’s gift to the Dees to help keep them from being liquidated.

Not that some ungracious Melbourne posters on BF would ever acknowledge or appreciate his generosity. Instead they sneeringly attribute ulterior motives to his altruistic action. By rights Melbourne should erect a statue of Eddie outside the MCG. They’d never admit it, but he helped save their club.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The so called Collingwood Queens Birthday “marquee fixture” which you mention has been of no financial benefit to the Pies. Melbourne have snaffled the gate every year for the last 18 seasons. Eddie’s gift to the Dees to help keep them from being liquidated.

Not that some ungracious Melbourne posters on BF would ever acknowledge or appreciate his generosity. Instead they sneeringly attribute ulterior motives to his altruistic action. By rights Melbourne should erect a statue of Eddie outside the MCG. He saved their bacon.

I’m talking crowds not money man :cool:

I’m talking crowds not money man :cool:
So what? What’s the point just talking crowds as if it’s some sort of advantage Collingwood are gaining by having this fixture, when clearly as I’ve demonstrated, it’s not? I and many other Pies supporters wish we’d pissed it off years ago.

On a separate note, where on BF forums can I access the emoji codes that you use? I’m trying to respond to your emojis, but I can’t find the appropriate thread anywhere.

Sure you're looking at 2018 fixture? Freo's double ups are: West Coast (5th), Port (7th), Essendon (8th), Collingwood (13th) and Carlton (16th).
Weird, those are the ones I had found on the age. Either way, you play 1 Top 6, 2 middle 6 and 2 bottom 6 which is slightly harder than expected, but not an entirely unexpected draw for a bottom 6 team.

Or you can tell it like it is, that Freo play three of the 2017 finalists, 13th and 16th twice!
As far as the Policy goes, Freo is not an outlier. If you want to spin the facts to make it easier to sleep tonight go ahead. But the AFL states it's done on a Top6/Mid6/Bot6 policy, and as far as I can tell, you got not different to anyother team in the Bottom 6.

As far as the Policy goes, Freo is not an outlier. If you want to spin the facts to make it easier to sleep tonight go ahead. But the AFL states it's done on a Top6/Mid6/Bot6 policy, and as far as I can tell, you got not different to anyother team in the Bottom 6.

"spin the facts to make it easier to sleep tonight"

Now why would anyone want to do that when they can just dribble s**t to suit their argument?

"and as far as I can tell, you got not different to anyother team in the Bottom 6."

You can't tell very well then. At first glance there is a team from the bottom 6 that has return games against one top six, one middle 6 and three bottom 6 teams. That is just looking at one team, you could be forgiven for thinking it was Brisbane or GC or Carlton or North I was talking about...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back