Sorry Jeff, but we do not want more big games in Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly, the fact that the Tassie taxpayers are the major sponsor of Hawthorn and that the club has 9000 members in the State. Perhaps, you should think about that. If the club doesn't want the sponsorship, forego it, and be prepared by the AFL to be bled. I'm sure the club would love to forego all that sponsorhip revenue combined with the hit of playing the garbage clubs at Docklands.

As far as Jeff Kennett is concerned, he is dead set right in letting the AFL know that Tasmanians deserve better Hawthorn games other then the rubbish they keep getting served up year after year. Hawthorn members in melbourne are way too spoilt anyway and way too complacent which accounts for so many disappointing crowds in for melbourne games.

Wanna justify that last statement in comparison to clearly shrinking tassie crowds?

The worry for me in his first interview he was smirking calm self but got really passionate about tassie

Almost like he cares more about tassie than HFC

Remember he was all about getting yet another game to tassie last time

Take hawthorn out we have 17 opponents now. 9 Victorian 2 relocated Victorian and 6 others

Half our home games are going to be against non Victorian teams, so tassie IS actually getting its fair share

Also Carlton and Geelong have played there, saints have strong support there

Richmond and Collingwood have played pre season

And if you add up the recent opponents, I'd say the larger part were actually finals standard team in that year

When I was working for a consulting firm, charge rates in tassie were a poor fraction of those charged in Melbourne

Less than 20%

Mind you they have the good NBN
Rubbish.

Our NBN consists of some guy peddling a bike to power it, and the lazy bastard does not seem to like peddling between 7pm and 10pm.

If everyone knows isnt it just a useless exercise that just upsets Hawthorn members?
Basically talking s**t for the sake of talking s**t

Im sure AUDI would rather we played big Melbourne clubs at the G and on FTA as would most of our supporters and definitely all the opposition supporters

Audi signed a deal with us in the midst of our current arrangement with Tasmania. Something tells me they aren't sweating it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard a rumour if Liberal lose the Tassie state election next May our deal could be voided by the end of 2018 ? Not sure how true this is ?
Labor would prefer a wall of vaginas displayed at Stadiums than games of footy. (Sly dig at arts post )

Labor would prefer a wall of vaginas displayed at Stadiums than games of footy. (Sly dig at arts post )

Well the wall of vaginas and the rest of MONA brings in a absolute truckload of tourism dollars.

Dig at the arts all you want - it can bring in a shitload of revenue to the state coffers. Plus MONA is privately owned and does get some government grants - but again the tourism dollar is well in excess of what the government is paying out.

He doesn't want big games down there either, he's just acting like he does so it looks like it's the AFLs fault and not ours that Tassie gets the interstate teams

I like the games down in Tassie.
For starters, it's a terrific membership bump that would not be replaced with similar effort or investment of dollars elsewhere in Australia.
We have clear home ground advantage where Opposition do not relish the trip, and that's always a good thing. Think it's also great that it's largely against out of state teams (of course not so much for Tassie residents), because it denies them the chance to play more often at the G - which helps US come finals time. They're also not usually games that pull much interest from our Victorian supporter base so we actually make more money playing them down in Taz.

Further, it broadens the opportunity to market ourselves outside our home geographical connection, which in turn unequivocally casts us as a national brand. This is pretty important as I see it as outside of the NT there is not much scope to steal hearts and minds of AFL watchers, and the NT is simply too expensive and geographically challenging for our Club to take on the task of it being a serious source of memberships and sponsorships and matches for H&A points.

Lastly, I like the requirement placed on young and developing men to work on their social skills and awareness, so that community work and outreach leads to personal growth and understanding.

Tassie's been good for us and it's historically significant for the great players to have donned the colors for us....... long may it reign.

Last edited:
Jeff's letter to members yesterday said he was unhappy that we were not playing more big Vic clubs in Launceston.
I am unhappy with Jeff's letter. On behalf of the 66,000 Hawthorn members who do not live in Tasmania, surely we want the big games here at the MCG. Richmond and Collingwood play 14 MCG games, Hawthorn nine. If we think we are one of the big clubs (which our membership and crowds suggest), then surely it is time to stand up and demand to be treated as a big club. If we have the ambition to be the first club to 100,000 members, then surely there is more potential growth in a city of 4,000,000, than a regional town of 106,000.
We are losing sight of where our focus should. It should be in our heartland, not our sponsor.

Just want to correct your population figures Melbourne 2016 population 4.67 million Launceston estimates 2017 91,407

Just want to correct your population figures Melbourne 2016 population 4.67 million Launceston estimates 2017 91,407
How about you include the Tasmanian figures, as I have stated previously all major population zones in Tas can (and do) travel to Launceston in the same time it takes someone to travel from the outskirts of Melbourne, so just providing the Launceston population does not tell the full story.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well the wall of vaginas and the rest of MONA brings in a absolute truckload of tourism dollars.

Dig at the arts all you want - it can bring in a shitload of revenue to the state coffers. Plus MONA is privately owned and does get some government grants - but again the tourism dollar is well in excess of what the government is paying out.

upload_2017-11-3_9-57-2.png

;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back