The San Antonio Spurs thread - A Fiesta of Youth

Remove this Banner Ad

And it just got stranger; Pau becomes a free agent... & then comes back for exactly the same money over 3 years!

Where did you see the same money?
Everything ive seen has said terms not disclosed.

Surely the reason we got him to forego his player option was to just to spread out the cost... surely we aren't stupid enough to make it 3yrs at the same rate?
(Or same money overall for the 3yrs? Which would actually be ideal)

---
Edit: just saw the figures - makes absolutely no sense to me

Where did you see the same money?
Everything ive seen has said terms not disclosed.

Surely the reason we got him to forego his player option was to just to spread out the cost... surely we aren't stupid enough to make it 3yrs at the same rate?
(Or same money overall for the 3yrs? Which would actually be ideal)

---
Edit: just saw the figures - makes absolutely no sense to me

Yep. Can only think they had a handshake deal that it would've been the same money had they not landed a big fish. Playing the nice guys again.

And it just got stranger; Pau becomes a free agent... & then comes back for exactly the same money over 3 years!
I just don't understand this, as you said must have been a handshake deal. I can't understand the 3 yrs(i know it's only partial in yr3) He's at that stage of his career that he's a only really solid bench contributor but is there really enough room in the cash flow to pay 16m for a bench guy with very questionable defence?

I trust Pop and R.C but I feel like we've laid a bit of a off season egg this year. Simmons was worth bringing back, I actually think his D has improved so much that I would have moved Green on and given Simmo the starting role(if team payments was an issue). Deadmond to Lauv seems a little bit sideways, better D v better O. Gay could be a great signing but........ tough injury to come back from so it seems like we've pinned our entire off season hopes on a guy who needs the ball in his hands(not our style) and lets be honest he's never really been in a winning situation before.

I just don't understand this, as you said must have been a handshake deal. I can't understand the 3 yrs(i know it's only partial in yr3) He's at that stage of his career that he's a only really solid bench contributor but is there really enough room in the cash flow to pay 16m for a bench guy with very questionable defence?

I trust Pop and R.C but I feel like we've laid a bit of a off season egg this year. Simmons was worth bringing back, I actually think his D has improved so much that I would have moved Green on and given Simmo the starting role(if team payments was an issue). Deadmond to Lauv seems a little bit sideways, better D v better O. Gay could be a great signing but........ tough injury to come back from so it seems like we've pinned our entire off season hopes on a guy who needs the ball in his hands(not our style) and lets be honest he's never really been in a winning situation before.

Yeah i just don't get it... the only reasonable explanation is that these guys are fallible.

Unless there's some kind of retirement clause in there, or there's a way we pay him out with it being in the cap, or if there's some reason that the contract was needed to make other deals possible (which i dont see how) - this is just a bad move.

I think we have fallen into the trap of trying to be "win now" and compete with the warriors in the short term - rather than take the long term approach and build stocks around Kawhi. I wonder if this is a sign that Pop is heading out in the next couple of years and they want to go all in at winning in that time - which I reckon is a mistake and will cost us long term.

Conspiracy Theory: are we overpaying Pau to get Marc to come over? Please let it be that.
(I know, not likely)

Yeah i just don't get it... the only reasonable explanation is that these guys are fallible.

Unless there's some kind of retirement clause in there, or there's a way we pay him out with it being in the cap, or if there's some reason that the contract was needed to make other deals possible (which i dont see how) - this is just a bad move.

I think we have fallen into the trap of trying to be "win now" and compete with the warriors in the short term - rather than take the long term approach and build stocks around Kawhi. I wonder if this is a sign that Pop is heading out in the next couple of years and they want to go all in at winning in that time - which I reckon is a mistake and will cost us long term.

Conspiracy Theory: are we overpaying Pau to get Marc to come over? Please let it be that.
(I know, not likely)
That would be nice and as good as Marc is I wonder if he would fit with LMA and Pau? all real big with slow feet.

I get the feeling they will let LMA fly after this year(pretty sure he has a player option) if they dont trade him throughout the year(not our style). I feel they will try and bank the $22m of his salary and turn that into a different type of big.... probably somebody who doesn't want the ball as much and is a more versatile defender.

Did we learn anything from the opening day win over Minnesota?

I'm unsure we did long-term (because the team will play differently once Kawhi returns), but if anything, there were some small positives.

Well Dejounte Murray has definitely been the surprise of the first 3 games IMO.

After a pretty poor 1st year, he's gone 16/5/2, 8/10/6 and 16/14/6 to start this one. Very early at this stage, but a bright start that may suggest why we didn't go harder at any of the potential PG's that were on the market. (Or a decent backup plan if we didn't get them). Keep playing at these kind of levels and Tony can join Manu and Mills as our leadership and energy guys off the bench.

Also very happy that LMA is showing that he can still easily be that 20+/10 guy when he gets the touches. I'm still not sure how well that will work when Kawhi gets back, but if LMA keeps these levels up through the new year then, at worst, he bumps up his trade value if the club, or he, wants to look at other options midseason (which wouldn't suprise me from both parties - and I wonder if its a conscious decision to get his numbers up to facilitate that).

---

I stiiiillll dont get Pau's contract though

Well Dejounte Murray has definitely been the surprise of the first 3 games IMO.

After a pretty poor 1st year, he's gone 16/5/2, 8/10/6 and 16/14/6 to start this one. Very early at this stage, but a bright start that may suggest why we didn't go harder at any of the potential PG's that were on the market. (Or a decent backup plan if we didn't get them). Keep playing at these kind of levels and Tony can join Manu and Mills as our leadership and energy guys off the bench.

Also very happy that LMA is showing that he can still easily be that 20+/10 guy when he gets the touches. I'm still not sure how well that will work when Kawhi gets back, but if LMA keeps these levels up through the new year then, at worst, he bumps up his trade value if the club, or he, wants to look at other options midseason (which wouldn't suprise me from both parties - and I wonder if its a conscious decision to get his numbers up to facilitate that).

---

I stiiiillll dont get Pau's contract though

Another great game by LMA today also Gay looked sharp. So far so good getting the job done. Looking forward to Kawhi coming back.

No one gets Pau’s contract.

I think Kawhi works best as the 2nd or 3rd option anyway. So playing through Aldridge may suit him.

I like Murray too. He's still all arms and legs at this stage, but once he fills out a bit he will be hard to stop. Reminds me a lot of Tony and Manu when they started.

Playing through LA so much is only going to work for so long. Unfortunately (for us older folk anyway), this isn't the 90s anymore.

So until Kawhi gets back, I think Pop is gonna go with the following motto: "If Brandon Paul don't get ya, then Bryn Forbes will".

In other words: Hurry up and get back Kawhi.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you really want incredible:
KCwpBiO.jpg

A few notes:

Great to see Kawhi back, but the team hasn't quite adjusted yet.

Really disappointed for Slo Mo. Was playing really good bball before he went down. Hopefully he's back soonish.

I'm liking Bryn Forbes. A Dejounte Murray/Bryn Forbes backcourt is going to be exciting in 2/3 years.

A few notes:

Great to see Kawhi back, but the team hasn't quite adjusted yet.

Really disappointed for Slo Mo. Was playing really good bball before he went down. Hopefully he's back soonish.

I'm liking Bryn Forbes. A Dejounte Murray/Bryn Forbes backcourt is going to be exciting in 2/3 years.

Anderson will be back this week vs either the Blazers or Jazz.

I think we need to win one of those 2 games, or else we might find ourselves back in the pack a little. Tbh, I still can't believe we're going at above .65. I'm worried that a rather favourable fixture thus far is masking some deficiencies, but that's probably a bit harsh with Kawhi still working his way back into games, and Anderson & Green being injured as well.

Pop is clearly trying to play every player (except LA) for approximately 18 minutes.

Spurs stat line today. Six scorers in double figures with the highest scorer being Forbes (12 pts). Has anyone seen a lower high score than that in the NBA? Even in a huge blowout, someone on the losing side will always be good for more than 12 points.

Spurs stat line today. Six scorers in double figures with the highest scorer being Forbes (12 pts). Has anyone seen a lower high score than that in the NBA? Even in a huge blowout, someone on the losing side will always be good for more than 12 points.

Yeah thats a really odd stat.

Can't find specific records for that (from a 10 second search) but did find the 3 lowest team totals of the shot clock era (https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/team_pts.html) - and the lowest "top scorer" on those teams was Juwan Howard with 12 (Den-Det 53-74).
To have 6 guys between 10-12 is just bizarre.

On that note though, I'm still pretty ambivalent about our season just far - really interested to how the next month goes. I think our record looks better than the team actually is (similar to the last 2 years), and I don't think we can succesfully get Kawhi back into form whilst keeping LMA happy and giving him his touches. I just really feel we need to trade out LMA soon, whilst his value is back up to a reasonable level, otherwise both he and Pau will be pretty unmovable contracts over the next few years. I just dont think we can be succesful in this current form, and a decision will need to be made soon if we want to build a championship team around a peak Kawhi. (Probably unfairly, I see Championships as success for the Spurs- for any other team you would be very happy with our recent records).

I think things will work out once we can get some consistency in our line up. It feels like we're putting a different starting 5 on the floor every night atm.

Definitely weird, but see my previous post about the way Pop is dealing out minutes over the past fortnight. Seriously, it seems that whenever someone gets to 18-20 (other than LA), then that's it for the night.

Also, LA is the only player that is averaging over 12 ppg this season!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back