Who is Playing for their Career in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

NRobbo, Keays and Matho aren't uncontracted IIRC but if they fall behind too many youngsters it might be tough to come back.

From the list above-
Both Allen Christiensen and Mitch Robbo need to show something in their year back from injury. (but I am guessing will be retained).

Josh Walker and Ryan Lester need to build on this years performances to warrant a new contract. (I think both will survive).

Hugh McCluggage and Alex Witherden will be first priority for re-signing. The longer we get into next year the more worried we become.

The rest will probably need luck to be on their side.
Mitch Hinge and Jake Barrett are the 2 most likely to survive if they have decent years.

NRobbo, Keays and Matho aren't uncontracted IIRC but if they fall behind too many youngsters it might be tough to come back.
Plenty of development left for those boys no doubt but a bit stiff including them in this list I reckon!

Dawson, paps, bell, barrett, bewick are the obvious ones purely from a playing perspective.

Christensen will need a good run at it as well you would imagine just from a fitness perspective otherwise difficult to offer him anything other than a cut price deal

Bell, Bewick, Paparone, Dawson.

All 4 have massive question marks over their long term future.

IMO based off of their output of the last several season, I would be more comfortable with delisting them all and loading up in the 2018 draft..

Last edited:

All 4 have massive question marks our their long term future.

IMO based off of their output of the last several season, I would be more comfortable with delisting them all and loading up in the 2018 draft..
Yep, they are the obvious 4 for me and you could probably add Eagles and Hinge need to get some senior footy in 2018 to showcase what they have.

I'm bullish on Eagles, I think he could be really good for us as a KPD or ruck. I have seen very little of Hinge other than he looks like he has a great left leg.

It would be a great boost for our club if Witherden and McCluggage were to sign extensions, before christmas would be fantastic.

All 4 have massive question marks over their long term future.

These four will be moved on next year. There’s no doubt about it IMO. They would have to play out of their skins but can’t see it happening. Room for 3 picks and a FA.

Yep, they are the obvious 4 for me and you could probably add Eagles and Hinge need to get some senior footy in 2018 to showcase what they have.

I'm bullish on Eagles, I think you could be really good for us as a KPD or ruck. I have seen very little of Hinge other than he looks like he has a great left leg.

It would be a great boost for our club if Witherden and McCluggage were to sign extensions, before christmas would be fantastic.
Eagles at least showed a dramatic improvement in form over the second half of the NEAFL season, I can't comment on Hinge since I haven't seen much of him.

I pray to the footy gods that we never see Bewick at the senior level again, he was a disaster bar 1 decent match against Essendon.

Eagles at least showed a dramatic improvement in form over the second half of the NEAFL season, I can't comment on Hinge since I haven't seen much of him.

I pray to the footy gods that we never see Bewick at the senior level again, he was a disaster bar 1 decent match against Essendon.
Bewick is one of those all too many frustrating players in the AFL, stuck between being too good for the lower level and not good enough for the elite level, at his best (all too rare) he would be a really good player, if he was going to be a consistent player he would have shown it by now, 28 years old and 100 games.

Bewick is one of those all too many frustrating players in the AFL, stuck between being too good for the lower level and not good enough for the elite level, at his best (all too rare) he would be a really good player, if he was going to be a consistent player he would have shown it by now, 28 years old and 100 games.
Exactly, his preseason form was very promising, as usual he never delivered when it counted.

No more games to list cloggers.

Isn't next year the next super draft? Plus whoever is coming through the academy we'd be looking for 5+ list spots?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bell, Bewick, Paparone, Christensen, Dawson, Eagles, Hinge and Walker.
Walker may sound a stretch, but I listened carefully to Fagan talk about him a month or so back. It was interesting in that I got the impression Fagan thought Walker didn’t retain hard enough and lacked hunger. Yes he turned that around toward the back half of the year. But if he takes the foot of the pedal it’s not hard to see him Alison gout the back door.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

V7v7v is h in g v hug 7 uggh7uhy7u7vu77h
Bell and Bewick start the list[/QUOTE]7v
Andrew uvy7vgh
7yhgvygv

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Plenty of development left for those boys no doubt but a bit stiff including them in this list I reckon!

Dawson, paps, bell, barrett, bewick are the obvious ones purely from a playing perspective.

Christensen will need a good run at it as well you would imagine just from a fitness perspective otherwise difficult to offer him anything other than a cut price deal

I guess it's a pre cursor to being in the same situation as Dawson, Paparone, etc. They have to cement their spot or this time next year they'll really need to turn things around.

I agree. He's a poor man's Jared Brennan

Good to see the boys back at training and positive in their expectations for 2018.....just hope they dont look at this crap thread and see what sort of supporters they have where we eat our own..........

You're a very strange person

Good to see the boys back at training and positive in their expectations for 2018.....just hope they dont look at this crap thread and see what sort of supporters they have where we eat our own..........

How cut up are you when players are delisted each year for not being at AFL standard? Of course there is going to be some criticism of players on a thread of this nature, but is it really worse than actually firing people?

How cut up are you when players are delisted each year for not being at AFL standard? Of course there is going to be some criticism of players on a thread of this nature, but is it really worse than actually firing people?
You are missing the point Mr Moderator......there is a team excited about their development...big name recruits....and we have the audacity of in 2017 picking the likely ones to be delisted in 2018. Put yourself in the shoes of the players who have lots of idle time on their side...........naturally they would probably read this site and to imagine in the future to see their names to be delisted next year omggggggggggg......sure it may be a trigger to make them try harder but it also a warning to those youngsters........will my name come up next year?....I want out of here. I am very sad that players are delisted........their dreams ended.

You are missing the point Mr Moderator......there is a team excited about their development...big name recruits....and we have the audacity of in 2017 picking the likely ones to be delisted in 2018. Put yourself in the shoes of the players who have lots of idle time on their side...........naturally they would probably read this site and to imagine in the future to see their names to be delisted next year omggggggggggg......sure it may be a trigger to make them try harder but it also a warning to those youngsters........will my name come up next year?....I want out of here.

What planet are you living on? How many players out of contract would not be fearing being delisted? How many clubs fans wouldn't discuss who is likely to be delisted?

Best way for your name not to come up would be to play decent footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back