Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Despite Radiohead, Pulp, Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, PJ Harvey, Blur, Bjork, the Chemical Bros etc. all releasing classic albums in 1995, the biggest selling records of the year were by Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Tina Arena, Hootie & The Blowfish, Alanis Morrissette, Boys II Men and godknows what else.... grunge was never dominant. It's always been pop (hence the name ;))

I used to write about music for money so I get a bit pedantic about it, sorry :D

I agree grunge was never a dominant force, but lets not forget the years Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and co had big albums in the early 90's (particularly Nirvana and Pearl Jam). I'm sure in those years a grunge album may have been number 1, at least in the US anyway? Can't be bothered looking it up, but I do recall that Pearl Jams vs was the fastest selling album of all time in the US when it was released.

Though perhaps what darthsidusfan is getting at is that, after the grunge, alt and rock (60's to 90's) lost its mainstream popularity, there was nothing left but pop on the radio, and that well, sucks :)

Also for 90's grunge diehards, Alice in Chains has released two albums in the past few years, which are genuinely really good, it's like they came out of stasis (albeit with a different singer) and have no influences from the past 20 years, and just played like they would have in 1995. Check it out.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Many, many moons ago. Joanne Whalley goes alright. Have you seen Willow?
I have indeed. I suspect Joanne Whalley was the non-mainstream thinking-man’s sex symbol of the 80s. Pretty certain my Dad watched the Singing Detective 4 times for that reason rather than just an appreciation for the works of Dennis Potter.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I agree grunge was never a dominant force, but lets not forget the years Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and co had big albums in the early 90's (particularly Nirvana and Pearl Jam). I'm sure in those years a grunge album may have been number 1, at least in the US anyway? Can't be bothered looking it up, but I do recall that Pearl Jams vs was the fastest selling album of all time in the US when it was released.
I picked 1995 because it was an amazing year for music, but since you mentioned vs I couldn't help but look it up :D

Turns out vs was the #1 selling album for five weeks (Billboard charts are here: http://www.billboard.com/archive/charts/1993/billboard-200); only Janet Jackson and Whitney Houston had albums at the top for longer. In Utero was the #1 selling album for a week; somehow even Billy Joel topped the charts for longer.

As far as singles go, in 1993 either Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey or Janet Jackson held the #1 position for 41 out of 52 weeks, which is amazing really.

I find this stuff really interesting not sure if anyone else does sorry :D

Though perhaps what darthsidusfan is getting at is that, after the grunge, alt and rock (60's to 90's) lost its mainstream popularity, there was nothing left but pop on the radio, and that well, sucks :)
Yup, totally get it, and it does suck a little bit but with community/ online radio, spotify & other streaming services + internet forums/blogs etc. there's way better ways to find great music these days.

There'll never be another Beatles, Floyd or Led Zeppelin (nine studio albums in thirteen years) and I'm ok with that: none of those bands can be topped anyway.

Oh and FWIW, I highly recommend any floyd fans out there make the effort to see Roger Waters when he tours early next year: his Dark Side of the Moon tour a few years ago were incredible, The Wall wasn't bad either.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Weird feeling time: this is the first year since 2007 I haven't worked retail at Christmas.

But whose lap will all the little children sit on now??

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I just saw Malcolm Turnbull kind of picking his teeth with the arm of his glasses while listening to a journalist ask a question.

I say that’s weird and we need a change of Government. Or at least a leadership spill.

There ends my political commentary for 2017.

I just saw Malcolm Turnbull kind of picking his teeth with the arm of his glasses while listening to a journalist ask a question.

I say that’s weird and we need a change of Government. Or at least a leadership spill.

Was it as bad as Bush Snr checking his watch during a debate and then stuffing up the question?

Sorry for history references

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

Can it wait until new year? I bet my Dad (who hates Lord Wafflesworth) that he'd survive until Christmas.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Who knows guitars? I'm keen to teach myself to play - I know a little bit after some ill fated attempts years ago, but I'm keen to give it a good crack again ... I just need a guitar. Does anyone have any advice on something that would be good to learn on? Nothing amazing, but also nothing that would be better served as kindling.

givemethecure

All Australian
Jul 13, 2009
Bendigo
AFL Club
Melbourne
Who knows guitars? I'm keen to teach myself to play - I know a little bit after some ill fated attempts years ago, but I'm keen to give it a good crack again ... I just need a guitar. Does anyone have any advice on something that would be good to learn on? Nothing amazing, but also nothing that would be better served as kindling.
Buy a second hand Chinese Squier strat for around $250. I have one and it’s perfexctly fine and easy.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
A cello.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

If your teaching yourself to play then I found this guy really useful, https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

His second lesson is about what kind of guitar you might want to use.

I had a cheap electric guitar when I first started and struggled with it. I then got an acoustic guitar (just a standard dreadnought metal strings, not an el cheapo, but a step up from that, I think it was about $400 a few years ago) and found I got a lot more out of that and progressed a lot quicker.

But it also depends what you want to do with it. If you want to learn chords or pick notes so you can play along to some of your fav songs, then in my opinion learning on an acoustic is better for that. If you want to learn riffs and solo's and create lots of noise with power chords and distortion etc, then obviously an electric guitar is your go.

Whatever you get, it may pay to get a professional to 'service' the guitar and make sure its set up right, especially if you get one second hand. The height of the strings (action) can make a big difference.

Also this guy on youtube is good once you know a bit, he has easy to follow lessons on how to play tons of various songs, from easy to advanced

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmnlTWVJysjWPFiZhQ5uudg

https://www.youtube.com/user/martyzsongs/videos

But I'm certainly no great player by any stretch of the imagination, I only learn and play as a hobby :)

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
If your teaching yourself to play then I found this guy really useful, https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

His second lesson is about what kind of guitar you might want to use.

I had a cheap electric guitar when I first started and struggled with it. I then got an acoustic guitar (just a standard dreadnought metal strings, not an el cheapo, but a step up from that, I think it was about $400 a few years ago) and found I got a lot more out of that and progressed a lot quicker.

But it also depends what you want to do with it. If you want to learn chords or pick notes so you can play along to some of your fav songs, then in my opinion learning on an acoustic is better for that. If you want to learn riffs and solo's and create lots of noise with power chords and distortion etc, then obviously an electric guitar is your go.

Whatever you get, it may pay to get a professional to 'service' the guitar and make sure its set up right, especially if you get one second hand. The height of the strings (action) can make a big difference.

Also this guy on youtube is good once you know a bit, he has easy to follow lessons on how to play tons of various songs, from easy to advanced

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmnlTWVJysjWPFiZhQ5uudg

https://www.youtube.com/user/martyzsongs/videos

But I'm certainly no great player by any stretch of the imagination, I only learn and play as a hobby :)
Great info, thanks for that mate.

My instrument of choice.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I haven't looked at my guitars in a decade. Four of them were gifts- an uncle, a grandfather, and (2x) girlfriends. Not sure what to do with them.

I'd use them if I had talent :/
Just look at them. Or even not look at them, Spinal Tap style.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Proper Gander you have more posts than anyone in this thread with 399. Over 10% of the total posts too.
I have lots of things that need saying that won’t fit anywhere else. While I’m here, I was thinking just now about what type of sea creature I would be if I had to be a sea creature for a day. I think I would probably be an octopus because it would be interesting having lots of legs and no spine and going through really narrow spaces in rocks. Or maybe some type of Ray because it looks quite nice to have those big wing thingys. What would you be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back