Should we experiment with Moore as a back-man?

Where would you play Darcy?

• KPF/RUCK

• KPD

• Swingman. 50/50.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is probably been done 100 times in separate forums. So I thought I'll bring it all together, and keep us occupied during the summer.

Where would you play Darcy Moore?

1) Primarily key position forward and rotating through the ruck. Similar to how he played the back half of the year. I really thought Darcy playing through the ruck was one of Buckley's better moves. I do like Darcy dropping back as a spare defender when our defence is under the pump, or the last 5 minutes of a quarter. I think Sydney do it fantastic with Sam Reid, and GWS implemented it with John Patton too. Darcy has shown great development, and definitely thrives when he has the ability to run and jump at the ball rather than stand and push( ie Travis Cloke).

2) Primarily key position defender and (maybe) rotating through the ruck. There has been genuine discussion about Darcy's move into the backline, especially after it was hinted at in the "trade review video" . Gerard Healy is the most vocal commentator who's convinced Darcy Moore could be a great KPD. Garry Lyon had a similar opinion too. We are lacking genuine KPD with the decline of Ben Reid and our reliance on an aging Lynden Dunn, the thought of McLarty and Moore holding down the KPD's for the next decade is exciting. This also allows us to play Mason Cox as the permanent KPF with him and Brodie Grundy rotating through the middle and have several tackling small forwards. This could also be our plan IF(when) we land TOM LYNCH next year. Darcy does have a great ability to read the ball, and might thrive like Jeremy Howe did in the backline.

3) 50/50. Some posters would suggest we should play Darcy forward or back when necessary. Just swap and change with Ben Reid. I personally don't like that. I believe stability at either of the end ground is key.

Personally, I believe Darcy should be our Key Forward for the next decade. He has shown great growth in his very short career, and this year carried the load of our Number 1 KPF. I do think he should play the Sam Reid role, when necessary. However, should predominately be our KPF.

I have posted this already, but Darcy's stats are either equal or better than Joe Daniher at the same age. I do think next year could be the year Darcy cracks the 40 goal mark, if played dominately forward.

Daniher and Mooore.PNG

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't think there's too much debate that Moore could become a very good defender. It's just that he could become an elite forward. I know which is harder to find.

Isn't there already a thread on the Moore to defence discussion?

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
@chrispiessss this one.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Last edited:

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
He is a forward that should spend time through the middle. Play him back for a while so there are more options for Game Day.

I would like to see him pushing up the ground further and have Cox as the key target.

Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
There is a big chance he could move to the backline, yes our backline held up ok this year but how long can Dunn hold up for? He isn't getting any younger..
It almost seems some of you are purposely setting it up so there is something to complain about when it happens (no offence but this is how it seems) as i cant remember exactly who it was but i do believe one of the coaches said that Moore would be trialed in defence at times.

I would prefer him forward but i honestly think we are confident about Lynch at the end of next year so why not develop him into a defender if we are potentially going to get an elite KPF ;)

I could be completely wrong at the same time as well, in which case i have no idea what the club are planning haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
There is a big chance he could move to the backline, yes our backline held up ok this year but how long can Dunn hold up for? He isn't getting any younger..
It almost seems some of you are purposely setting it up so there is something to complain about when it happens (no offence but this is how it seems) as i cant remember exactly who it was but i do believe one of the coaches said that Moore would be trialed in defence at times.

I would prefer him forward but i honestly think we are confident about Lynch at the end of next year so why not develop him into a defender if we are potentially going to get an elite KPF ;)

I could be completely wrong at the same time as well, in which case i have no idea what the club are planning haha.
Why not actually recruit properly so we get some to partner with McLarty down back so Moore can be left forward to play alongside Lynch

Mongo Ming

Intergalactic Despot
Sep 10, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’d like him to stay forward but if the backline is bleeding or he’s not getting a touch give him a run in defence when a game calls for it. ie using the last round v Dees as an example.

I don’t see much scope to get him involved playing in the ruck if we’re playing Grundy and Cox in the same team.

Hopefully McFarty comes on quick though and it’s NLR.

Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why not actually recruit properly so we get some to partner with McLarty down back so Moore can be left forward to play alongside Lynch
Well we potentially could try that in the draft this year. It will be interesting to see what direction the club takes.

Also i think the way the game is heading you don't really need 2 talls in the forward line, 1 gun tall and the rest mediums and smalls seems to be the way to go these days.

DraftBalta

league leaders for flags won without cheating
Oct 16, 2017
In my pants
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's just for one year to round out his CV, unlikely to challenge for a flag til 2019 so it's a good move

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Darcy should be played forward.

If we throw Darcy back and hinder his development in order to accommodate Cox in the forward line, then the coaching team are lunatics. Both can play in the same forward line anyway, with Reid back. If Cox doesn't become a top liner this year and we land Lynch, we can reassess next year.

For 2018 I want to see the following spine:

FB: Dunn
CHB: Reid
RUCK: Grundy
CHF: Moore
FF / relief RUCK: Cox

Backup players. McLarty, Goldsack, draftee(s).

Long term it's a silly idea, Darcy is always going to be best used as a forward/second ruck.

But for 12 months, or 22 games, it's not a terrible concept to teach Darcy the defensive side of the game. He will also learn more about how forwards position themselves and how hard the best ones work, simply by having to defend them.

Mclarty will be our CHB eventually, and I suspect we will just pick up another KPF through free agency or trade once Dunn is finished, but trying Moore down back in 2017 isn't a terrible idea, as long as it's for his development, and not an actual long term plan to play him as a defender or swingman.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well we potentially could try that in the draft this year. It will be interesting to see what direction the club takes.

Also i think the way the game is heading you don't really need 2 talls in the forward line, 1 gun tall and the rest mediums and smalls seems to be the way to go these days.
Yeah what ever you don't need to talls. Knee jerk reaction right there, you need quality talls

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Long term it's a silly idea, Darcy is always going to be best used as a forward/second ruck.

But for 12 months, or 22 games, it's not a terrible concept to teach Darcy the defensive side of the game. He will also learn more about how forwards position themselves and how hard the best ones work, simply by having to defend them.

Mclarty will be our CHB eventually, and I suspect we will just pick up another KPF through free agency or trade once Dunn is finished, but trying Moore down back in 2017 isn't a terrible idea, as long as it's for his development, and not an actual long term plan to play him as a defender or swingman.

There'd be some merit to that if he was actually poor defensively. For a young developing KPF he's actually okay in this area, his attack on the footy and endeavour very good. Gets caught ball watching occasionally, spends a tad too much time watching himself on the big screens, but no more so than any developing KPF.

Mukesh

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
Kalapathar, Havelock Island
AFL Club
Collingwood
There'd be some merit to that if he was actually poor defensively. For a young developing KPF he's actually okay in this area, his attack on the footy and endeavour very good. Gets caught ball watching occasionally, spends a tad too much time watching himself on the big screens, but no more so than any developing KPF.

They all do...and it makes me cringe...

Pie thon

Senior List
Oct 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Amazing how this has worked out 3 years on, started off with heavy opposition for bringing the idea up

Now hes an early contender for an AA key defender position

Wouldnt have picked we would go through Dunn, now Roughhead as his partner for Reid

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Amazing how this has worked out 3 years on, started off with heavy opposition for bringing the idea up

Now hes an early contender for an AA key defender position

Wouldnt have picked we would go through Dunn, now Roughhead as his partner for Reid

reid and roughead are items?

Back