International rules 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Boyohboywowwee

All Australian
Jun 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the international rules series coming up this weekend

For me I think it has its run and now not to much people really care about it.

Probably run its race now that Australians are more able to switch to overseas sports in the summer. Rather players like Tarrant and Brown be resting this time of year than running around in it.

I used to enjoy watching a team that didn’t just turn the ball over everywhere and had some decent skills. Richmond provided that for me in the latter part this year for me so I don’t really need it. But it’s there in case (modern) order restores itself, so I like it.

The reason ‘nobody cares’ is that the players don’t really care. It could be good, but honestly in its current form it’s just a bit of filler. No real passion involved.

International Rules only has any relevance because we all get footy withdrawals this time of year. I watch it, but only because its the last time i get to see any sort of footy for a few months. Would much rather see a State of origin or AFL under 21's game or something similar played.

We get the very best of our game together only once every two years...to play a different sport.

I haven't watched it for a few series now, but might tune back in and give it another go. But it is running a distant second behind world cup qualifiers this weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It must be a thrill for the Irish to see how some professional athletes go playing their sport with little training. Perhaps it makes them wonder what the standard of their game would be like if they were to pay their players to be full-time athletes. I guess that would also make these games a more unfair and less viable concept, however.

I enjoy it and will be going to the game in Perth next week. The necessity to have been an All Australian adds a legitimacy to the game that it was missing previously and the Irish definitely take it seriously.

Given the large Irish population in Perth it should be a decent atmosphere too

It must be a thrill for the Irish to see how some professional athletes go playing their sport with little training. Perhaps it makes them wonder what the standard of their game would be like if they were to pay their players to be full-time athletes. I guess that would also make these games a more unfair and less viable concept, however.
The many irish i know have the oppo take: their amateurs are good for matching it with pros.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the international rules series coming up this weekend

For me I think it has its run and now not to much people really care about it.
It is a novelty.
Like a pen fan.
Or a connected chop sticks.

The many irish i know have the oppo take: their amateurs are good for matching it with pros.
Yes, the Irish often brandish about the professional versus amateurs angle as if they're better off for having an under-developed code. What their media seem to neglect to make apparent is that IR is almost purely Gaelic football and has little to do with what we play here. It's their game; you'd think, if they were professional athletes, they'd do a lot better at it against people who don't play the game. The edge Australia has is that its athletes are better because sport is their full time job.

Yes, the Irish often brandish about the professional versus amateurs angle as if they're better off for having an under-developed code. What their media seem to neglect to make apparent is that IR is almost purely Gaelic football and has little to do with what we play here. It's their game; you'd think, if they were professional athletes, they'd do a lot better at it against people who don't play the game. The edge Australia has is that its athletes are better because sport is their full time job.
It's not really, try tackling like that in GAA! The ball is the same, but the game is pretty hybrid.

Allowing tackling, marking and ball ups makes it a very different game - Imagine footy without tackling and marking would you consider it almost identical to current footy?

coupled with your early arrogant statement of how those poor Irish must be "thrilled" to see these unreal athletes play their game, its clear you have little or no understanding of either Gaelic football or the rules of the game. Many of those amateur athletes do very well when they move to Australia and in some cases excel at the game coming from an amateur background and never having played the game at all before. I doubt many Australians are "thrilled" to see how well these amateurs can take to a game in in some cases after only a handful of games can be put into the first 22 on AFL teams.

On a similar point, you'll have loads in Ireland saying its crap because of the tackle, the mark, carrying the ball, the behind posts, the interchange. And you'll have the Aussies saying its just Gaelic Football. It is hybrid. One of the bigger changes in the game is the ball. It makes most sense to use a round ball as it is much easier to adapt to. The Irish in my opinion have a big advantage with goalkeepers too as it is an unnatural position for AFL players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back