Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't a sprint from stationary?

Doesn't really give any indication of top end speed. The really quick sprinters should have good 20m I'll bet that the start catches a number of players out.

Doesn't really give any indication of top end speed. The really quick sprinters should have good 20m I'll bet that the start catches a number of players out.
Yep stationary, the fact that Myles Poholke got a better time than McGrath last year just goes to show how little the tests mean for how quick the player moves in a game

The start doesn't catch anyone out, they can start whenever they please. You'd have to pretty dumb to miss a self selected start, even for a footy player

The thing is not many are over 2.90 so 3.05 I'd say would be about average and that's for a midfielder would be way less for the talls
Are you saying average across the combine, or average for all players drafted in the ND? And when I say players, I'm only talking midfielders.

Take out the talls, the rookies and the undrafted, and that's the only average I care about. The speculative players are going to be slower on average, as the majority are not AFL quality, and pace will be one of the reasons why.

Anyway, I think we're pretty close in our thoughts. If you think 3.05 is about average (I would say 3 - 3.05), 3.03 certainly isn't above average.

3.03s is pretty slow for 20m, certainly not above average.
It is above average.

The average from the combine was 3.10s. I assume the average midfielder might be ~3.05s.

I agree that the 20m is not the most useful of the tests, standing start sprints of fresh players is not a common football scenario. However, if you are particularly poor it might stop you from getting drafted.

Despite his 20m time, you could tell McGrath was 'football quick' through testing. He came 2nd in the repeat sprint and 10th in the agility testing. Frequent bursts of running and changes in direction are far more typical football scenarios.

It is above average.

The average from the combine was 3.10s. I assume the average midfielder might be ~3.05s.

I agree that the 20m is not the most useful of the tests, standing start sprints of fresh players is not a common football scenario. However, if you are particularly poor it might stop you from getting drafted.

Despite his 20m time, you could tell McGrath was 'football quick' through testing. He came 2nd in the repeat sprint and 10th in the agility testing. Frequent bursts of running and changes in direction are far more typical football scenarios.
Even if your assumption that about 3.05 is accurate. 3.03s IS about 3.05s, that is average.

The standard error for this test is around 0.03s, so you couldn't even conclude 3.03 was better than 3.05 other than standard error.

Even if your assumption that about 3.05 is accurate. 3.03s IS about 3.05s, that is average.

The standard error for this test is around 0.03s, so you couldn't even conclude 3.03 was better than 3.05 other than standard error.
I think you are probably splitting hairs for not much benefit.

Ok let's go deeper.

Assuming 3.05s is correct for the broad category of midfielders for which I was referring to non-talls. That includes flankers, pockets, outside runners and inside midfielders. Out of this group the inside midfielders would be the slowest sub-category. I wouldn't be surprised if the average inside mid was closer to 3.10s than 3.05s.

So to be pedantic. I was correct that Kyron was above average for potential draftees, probably correct that he is above average for his specific position but possibly incorrect that he was above average for non-talls in general.

For the record, he tested .17s quicker than Sam Menegola so I am happy with his pace.

I think you are probably splitting hairs for not much benefit.

Ok let's go deeper.

Assuming 3.05s is correct for the broad category of midfielders for which I was referring to non-talls. That includes flankers, pockets, outside runners and inside midfielders. Out of this group the inside midfielders would be the slowest sub-category. I wouldn't be surprised if the average inside mid was closer to 3.10s than 3.05s.

So to be pedantic. I was correct that Kyron was above average for potential draftees, probably correct that he is above average for his specific position but possibly incorrect that he was above average for non-talls in general.

For the record, he tested .17s quicker than Sam Menegola so I am happy with his pace.
Assumption + assumption = HD is correct haha
Let's leave it at, you think he tested above average, I don't. GL to him either way, unless he's drafted by Carlton. * Carlton.

Assumption + assumption = HD is correct haha
Let's leave it at, you think he tested above average, I don't. GL to him either way, unless he's drafted by Carlton. **** Carlton.
Ok whatever haha

On to more important things...

My favorite smokey who doesn't get talked about is Brodie Carroll from Norwood.

Why I think he has upside:

- one of the players who will be 17 on draft night

- started to play his best football in the last month of the season (improved through the season)

- does the basics well, just needs to fill out

- tested very well in key areas (agility and endurance)

Here are some highlights of him showing his repeat efforts, agility, kicking skills and a very nice hard ball get at 3:55

Last edited:
Ok whatever haha

On to more important things...

My favorite smokey who doesn't get talked about is Brodie Carroll from Norwood.

Why I think he has upside:

- one of the players who will be 17 on draft night

- started to play his best football in the last month of the season (improved through the season)

- does the basics well, just needs to fill out

- tested very well in key areas (agility and endurance)

Here are some highlights of him showing his repeat efforts, agility, kicking skills and a very nice hard ball get at 3:55

Looks the goods. What's his draft range? Around the 40s I'm guessing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#48s from the past... Aussie Jones Saints, Darren Milburn Cats, Chance Bateman Hawks, Heath Shaw Pies, Nathan Ablett Cats, David Mackay Crows, Jordan Murdock Cats, Dean Kent Demons, Bailey Williams Dogs

sorry haven't scrolled back - heard a rumour getting about that we could be about to sign the irish kid McManus? he of the 7 overs in the recent int rules game

anyone know if this is a thing?
Yes please. I saw it on twitter somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back