List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I've driven the barrier highway many times and it's no coverage all the way pretty much north of the Murray.. would be many other dead zones around the Riverina though I'd imagine.

I just went off the telstra map, dont know if we have a telco sponsor. https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/our-coverage

Im actually surprised how poor the coverage is in large parts of NSW, I thought mobile coverage was supposed to be nearly everywhere by now.

I just went off the telstra map, dont know if we have a telco sponsor. https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/our-coverage

Im actually surprised how poor the coverage is in large parts of NSW, I thought mobile coverage was supposed to be nearly everywhere by now.
That area is a ******* desert. Sandhills and flocks of emus. Used to be a roadhouse halfway down but I heard It's recently closed.
NSW has pretty remote areas is the point.

Hi & welcome, PMB. If you're interested, there's a thread where you can tell us your story.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ow-you-came-to-be-a-gws-afl-fan.921729/page-4

Who do you all hope we pick up in the draft? I'm hopeful of Clark tbh but wouldn't be displeased with Higgins

I must admit that by now I'm pretty bamboozled about who we should get, given lots of differing opinions and concerns about this, that or the other (speed, defensive skills, go-home factor) for the various options. However, starting at the beginning, my personal view is that our needs are (1) small or medium forward, primarily goal scoring but able to also apply pressure [replacing Smith / Johnson], (2) defender with right mix of defensive & counterattacking skills [replacing Wilson] & (3) midfield depth [replacing Kennedy etc]. Note that I'm not expecting them to go straight into first grade. With Lachie Keefe on board, I see no need for another ruck. I'm a bit ambivalent on needing a tall forward - depends on how GWS looks at its forward line structure in regards tall/small-medium balance, so a speedy & hard-tackling medium forward could otherwise account for that spot in the roster.

So, best options IMHO for pick 11 would be Jack Higgins or Hunter Clark. We've also been variously linked to Aidan Bonar, Nathan Murphy & Ed Richards, but to me #11 is too high for all of those (although probably all would be gone by our next pick). Bonar at least has some x-factor, but is also a risk at that early selection given his injury history. I rate Higgins pretty highly so if he makes it to #11 he'd be my 'best available' as well as fulfilling our greatest need, so despite various concerns about him (lacking speed, go-home concerns) I'd select him. However, I could see why Bonar has been linked to us as a fast, tackling medium forward since we can get a speedy small forward in the second round and he would be a true risk-reward option. If on the other hand we take Hunter Clark, I can live with that as a classy ball user off half-back & that changes the dynamic for later selections.

I'd definitely look for some speed with the next picks, so if Ed Richards is still there I'd be happy to take him to cover the HBF role and potentially pushing up onto a midfield wing. Various other options depending on who's left would be Matt Ling, Joel Garner or Ryley Stoddart. For the other selection, I'm coming around to Jack Petruccelle as an option - he's probably a flexible player who could conceivably play defence, wing or forward, and has some upside due to his limited time in AFL. If Hunter Clark was the #11 selection, then a small forward would definitely be the go here, and Charlie Spargo would be a great pick; or Dylan Moore who could cover inside midfield and small forward options.

After that, of course match for Nick Shipley (to replace Matt Kennedy). For the last selection, I'd be happy to take Jack Powell, either matching a bid or an outright selection. I'm not sure if GWS might not try to let him go through to a rookie selection, so I also would be happy with a left-field selection to roll the dice on someone. Given that Jack Powell's quite slow, I'd take a punt on someone with some speed and/or elusiveness, so perhaps Brent Daniels (if still there) Adam Sambono, Matt Guelfi or Mitch Crowden.

So, for the ND: Higgins, Ed Richards, Petruccelle, Shipley, Powell (or left field); OR Clark, Richards/Petruccelle, Spargo/Moore, Shipley, Powell (or left field).

Rookie draft then depends on the exact mix of the ND, but would definitely want one of the NSW kids in there.

Last edited:
So Shipley has been invited to the draft night with 19 other players. Powell and spargo notable omissions considering the location and photo opportunity if we take them

Hmmm, Shipley gets some coverage for being the first western Sydney academy grad. The lack of invitations suggests the other two are too lowly rated to be worth bringing along.

So Shipley has been invited to the draft night with 19 other players. Powell and spargo notable omissions considering the location and photo opportunity if we take them

But I thought Spargo was a lock at pick 1?

Crazy times we live in.

Peter Schwabb for list manager?
He has an awful lot of experience in a good club system. Can see him being a useful person around the club. Adminiistrators from the Hawks are usually sought after.
Against that it's not very recent and his record as head coach wasn't exactly stellar. If that's relevant in the role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant be worse.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I tend to remember him as a "nighwatchman" at The Hawks. The guy you throw in the bad times to hold it together until the good times come. You cant, with the benefit of hindsight criticise replacing him with Clarkson, but you can argue he was stiffed.

List Manager is more contracts and trades stuff isnt it? Requires more of a negotiator legal/business dealings type background rather than intimate knowlege of rating footballers abilities, we have multiple people in recruiting that can do that. I hope we get some hard nosed bastard and start screwing some clubs on trades, we've become a bit of pushover at trade week IMO.

List Manager is more contracts and trades stuff isnt it? Requires more of a negotiator legal/business dealings type background rather than intimate knowlege of rating footballers abilities, we have multiple people in recruiting that can do that. I hope we get some hard nosed bastard and start screwing some clubs on trades, we've become a bit of pushover at trade week IMO.
I think we had a bad trade week. I blame circumstances though. With Wilson and Kennedy I think we were motivated sellers. Tough is good though.

Not many teams screw clubs on trades because the following year they all have to come back and do it again.

If you look at our trades under Cameron, 2016 is basically a write-off because of the AFL's screwing around with rules part way through the year and last year was about par with the exception of the Smith trade. I think we got unders there but for whatever reason we targeted pick 11 and gave up a premium to get that done, and given our continued need tends to be higher end talent rather than filling a larger number of spots I can understand the aim in the upgrade.

Prior to that we have a pretty good track record of value out of guys like Treloar and Jaksch and Tyson, so it swings both ways. If we had better players leaving this year we would've gotten better deals.

Not many teams screw clubs on trades because the following year they all have to come back and do it again.

If you look at our trades under Cameron, 2016 is basically a write-off because of the AFL's screwing around with rules part way through the year and last year was about par with the exception of the Smith trade. I think we got unders there but for whatever reason we targeted pick 11 and gave up a premium to get that done, and given our continued need tends to be higher end talent rather than filling a larger number of spots I can understand the aim in the upgrade.

Prior to that we have a pretty good track record of value out of guys like Treloar and Jaksch and Tyson, so it swings both ways. If we had better players leaving this year we would've gotten better deals.

I think 2016 is now a shocker, more rumoured details of how much Richmond were paying Deledio this year have surfaced and it is a lot less than what I had expected, we paid too much IMO. Pickett and Marchbank trade we didnt get enough for 2 high top 10 talents, one who proved this year how good he is going to be. Gave away Stewart who went on to play most of the season in a top 8 team and Ahern could prove to do simlar.

I think 2016 is now a shocker, more rumoured details of how much Richmond were paying Deledio this year have surfaced and it is a lot less than what I had expected, we paid too much IMO. Pickett and Marchbank trade we didnt get enough for 2 high top 10 talents, one who proved this year how good he is going to be. Gave away Stewart who went on to play most of the season in a top 8 team and Ahern could prove to do simlar.

Yeah, 2016 was pretty bad. Offloading guys like Ahern and Pickett for cents on the dollar was also crap. The trade outs of Stewart, Steele, McCarthy, WHE and McKenna went about as well as expected though. But I view that as an anomaly due to http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...st-squeeze-at-gws-giants-20161006-grwmi8.html which the club was only notified of part way through the year, which obviously required a massive change of plans after having already signed a lot of contract extensions with the salary cap and list concessions still in mind. The AFL forced a garage sale on us and it went about as well as expected.

Might be a similar situation to Hopper

AFL CLUBS have been urged not to overlook one of the country’s hottest draft prospects because of the recent revelation he has a heart condition.
Ferntree Gully boy Jaidyn Stephenson’s manager said medical experts had cleared the line-breaking midfielder fit to be taken in next Friday’s AFL draft. The Herald Sun knows of clubs that will now pass on Stephenson. They deem the potential emotional and liability risks too great.
“It’s serious,” one chief recruiter said. “We haven’t made a final call, but it’s a big worry. But every club will view it differently, and that’s important. It’s certainly very well-known.”
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r/news-story/3c26b236be04a65e79b8462ae18b8133

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back