Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah. Did you watch the Peel v Subi games? Nyhuis had him covered single handedly when he was on him. Love Liam's WAFL highlight reel but I don't think AFL clubs would have any problem negating him. Play him tight and a put on a bit of body work and he gets frustrated pretty easily.
The thing is can he improve ? He is 22 next year not like Suban 28 . I am not in favour of getting him but if we got leftover pick why not .

Two players we don't have?

Liam Ryan doesn't help his players out defensively and spent most of his uneventful gf trying to get hang time than create goal opportunities.

Pass
Sorry. Didn't realise the wink emoji was required (it was a dream/potential forwardline).
He is surely worth a go. What's the old adage 'you can't teach talent' - he's got plenty. I can't see a better player being taken with pick 70>

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah. Did you watch the Peel v Subi games? Nyhuis had him covered single handedly when he was on him. Love Liam's WAFL highlight reel but I don't think AFL clubs would have any problem negating him. Play him tight and a put on a bit of body work and he gets frustrated pretty easily.
Nyhuis played a great game no doubt. I still think people are getting hung up on one particular match up and not seeing that his raw talent could be harnessed in a professional environment.

Chris, where do you see Schloithe getting picked up? I saw you took him late 70s in the mock but do you feel he could go higher than that in the draft proper? Having seen a lot of him I rate him just bellow Tim Kelly and could see him slotting straight into an AFL side and having an immediate impact.

Nyhuis played a great game no doubt. I still think people are getting hung up on one particular match up and not seeing that his raw talent could be harnessed in a professional environment.
Nyhuis has had him comfortably covered in pretty much every game for the past two years. I'm not completely against getting him with a late/rookie pick because he is talented. But there are other x-factor small forward prospects that might better suit an AFL environment. You'd want to be confident he has his mindset firmly on AFL being a lot harder work than WAFL, that he is willing to work more defensively and to not drop his head when an AFL quality defender negates him completely. There were a bunch of reasons why nobody drafted him last year and I'm not sure everything's been addressed.

Nyhuis has had him comfortably covered in pretty much every game for the past two years. I'm not completely against getting him with a late/rookie pick because he is talented. But there are other x-factor small forward prospects that might better suit an AFL environment. You'd want to be confident he has his mindset firmly on AFL being a lot harder work than WAFL, that he is willing to work more defensively and to not drop his head when an AFL quality defender negates him completely. There were a bunch of reasons why nobody drafted him last year and I'm not sure everything's been addressed.
His issues are well documented. He was playing semi professional footy in Geraldton in 2015? Moved into Wafl in 2016 and was the best forward in the comp despite a lack of professional discipline (alcohol) and managed to have a better year in 2017 with the drinking under control. His partner is due to give birth next year, he needs a steady income and footy is his best chance. Because of his family situation he'll either go to Freo or WCE, I'd rather he played for us than against us...

I was as well until I saw he ran a 3.19s 20m sprint. Quality footballer and maybe that negates it but that's pretty slow for a small forward.
He looked pretty quick watching him play. Seems he did better in other disciplines.
Yo-Yo test (Yo-Yo test is commonly used to measure the aerobic capacity of elite and professional adult athletes).
Andrew Brayshaw - 22.4 level
Dylan Moore - 22.3
Matthew Ling - 21.8
Alex Martini - 21.8
Aaron Naughton - 21.8
Jaidyn Stephenson - 21.8
Callan England - 21.6
Nicholas Shipley - 21.6
Brent Daniels - 21.5
Ethan Floyd - 21.5
Tom McCartin - 21.5
Cillian McDaid - 21.5
Gryan Miers - 21.5

2km time trial (The 2km Time Trial What should you run. 5:30 - 6:00 min = Super Elite Athlete (Issac Smith/Mark Blicavs/Ed Curnow). 6:01 - 6:15 min = Elite AFL)
Dylan Moore - 6:09 minutes
Lochie O'Brien - 6:12
Gryan Miers - 6:13
Andrew Brayshaw - 6:14
Aiden Domic - 6:15
Angus Styles - 6:17
Changkuoth Jiath - 6:17
Nathan Murphy - 6:21
Jaidyn Stephenson - 6:21
Ethan Floyd - 6:25

He was playing semi professional footy in Geraldton in 2015? Moved into Wafl in 2016
He actually only moved down from Gero in about May last year, so had no WAFL preseason. I think he'd be worth a late / rookie pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He actually only moved down from Gero in about May last year, so had no WAFL preseason. I think he'd be worth a late / rookie pick.
Such a talent, he hasn't come from the silver spoon life of a boarding school program. I'm not sure what the pay difference is between a late draft pick or a rookie pick, but I'd prefer if he was actually drafted and given a comfortable income so he can support his wife and newborn and focus on his footy full-time

Such a talent, he hasn't come from the silver spoon life of a boarding school program. I'm not sure what the pay difference is between a late draft pick or a rookie pick, but I'd prefer if he was actually drafted and given a comfortable income so he can support his wife and newborn and focus on his footy full-time

Did read in the Subiaco Post a couple of weeks ago that Austin Robertson Jr wrote that he'd had a one on one discussion with Liam Ryan about his draft prospects and was told by Liam that the two clubs showing serious interest were West Coast and Melbourne.

He's done too much in the WAFL to be ignored. 70 plus goals in a season - that's about what Ballantyne kicked when he was drafted and the quality in the WAFL seems much stronger now than it was 10 years ago.

I think he'll make it at the right club and I agree with your sentiment. Why couldn't it be Fremantle.

He looked pretty quick watching him play. Seems he did better in other disciplines.
Yo-Yo test (Yo-Yo test is commonly used to measure the aerobic capacity of elite and professional adult athletes).
Andrew Brayshaw - 22.4 level
Dylan Moore - 22.3
Matthew Ling - 21.8
Alex Martini - 21.8
Aaron Naughton - 21.8
Jaidyn Stephenson - 21.8
Callan England - 21.6
Nicholas Shipley - 21.6
Brent Daniels - 21.5
Ethan Floyd - 21.5
Tom McCartin - 21.5
Cillian McDaid - 21.5
Gryan Miers - 21.5

2km time trial (The 2km Time Trial What should you run. 5:30 - 6:00 min = Super Elite Athlete (Issac Smith/Mark Blicavs/Ed Curnow). 6:01 - 6:15 min = Elite AFL)
Dylan Moore - 6:09 minutes
Lochie O'Brien - 6:12
Gryan Miers - 6:13
Andrew Brayshaw - 6:14
Aiden Domic - 6:15
Angus Styles - 6:17
Changkuoth Jiath - 6:17
Nathan Murphy - 6:21
Jaidyn Stephenson - 6:21
Ethan Floyd - 6:25

Fit but not fast.

Chris - any change of thoughts about taking Stephenson given his heart irregularity? Personally I wish him all the best at another club while we avoid the risk of a Pitt V2.

I have seen the last three games Nyhuis (including the final) has played on Ryan, and whilst he has had the better of him across the entire game, Ryan has still had patches where he has been dangerous (and kicked 2 or do goals except I think the very last game); he just hasn't been able to have days out where he kicks 5-6 against us, which his modus operandi against other WAFL teams. I still believe he will be dangerous at AFL, but I highly doubt we will be drafting him as he doesn't bring the required forward pressure that we are looking for in our small forwards.

I have seen the last three games Nyhuis (including the final) has played on Ryan, and whilst he has had the better of him across the entire game, Ryan has still had patches where he has been dangerous (and kicked 2 or do goals except I think the very last game); he just hasn't been able to have days out where he kicks 5-6 against us, which his modus operandi against other WAFL teams. I still believe he will be dangerous at AFL, but I highly doubt we will be drafting him as he doesn't bring the required forward pressure that we are looking for in our small forwards.
From memory not many of the goals were when Nyhuis was on him (maybe just 1 or 2 all season) but agree he's always dangerous with ball in hand. Did notice he kicked almost all his bags of goals against bottom 4 teams though. I think he only kicked more than 2 goals against a top 4 team twice. Against us when he kicked 3 late in the season, and Souths when he kicked 4 early in the season. Not sure he's a down hill skier but if he were then can see why West Coast would be right into him. I was still keen on him until I watched the finals series - didn't work nearly hard enough when he didn't have the ball imo. But he's young enough to keep improving.

And for what it is worth at the same stage the Eagles weren't all that enamoured by him either. They then seem to warm to him for a while so it will be interesting to see if he gets pick and if so when.

Liam Ryan's game style is very well suited to being blanketed by a medium defender at AFL level.

He plays a lead up/leap up game. Not a classical small forward game. Nyhuis had the luxury of body checking him on a lead which also took him further from goal and because his second and third efforts were booked for Subiaco's next forward entry, there was no worry of being turned back towards goal.

The one time he made use of a really well timed block and got some separation on Nyhuis he pulled up his lead early to casually take the mark, allowing Nyhuis back into the contest to spoil it.

If he did that in a grand final for us he couldn't be dropped fast enough, slacking off like that on the first win for him of the day was so disappointing. I want the forward that runs full effort until he has the mark, delivers the ball forward then gives his defender an earful as he jogs past about how he just got beaten.

Liam Ryan would need to play a very different role at AFL level and would be exciting to watch if all the tools come together, but I won't lose sleep over him going somewhere else or lining up against us at this stage.

Chris - any change of thoughts about taking Stephenson given his heart irregularity? Personally I wish him all the best at another club while we avoid the risk of a Pitt V2.

No change of heart from me. ;)

It's worth keeping in mind this isn't a Jayden Pitt type scenario. Both he and Alex Villis had 'surprise' diagnoses, leading to a retirement and one not being drafted. Stephenson's condition was already known, he's medicated for it and has played with it. Played very well I should add. It's also not as severe as what Pitt was diagnosed with. He won't be the first professional athlete to have an arrhythmia.

He's still my #1 ranked player in the draft. Who knows what happens on draft day, but there is still talk of North liking him at #4.

Didn’t Lenny Hayes play with a heart condition most of his career. Not every knee injury is an ACL, not every hamstring injury is a tear and not every heart condition is career threatening.

The guys who saw Pitt recommended he didn’t play. The group of people Stephenson has probably seen have given him the green light. They have the best interests of the person at heart in these situations. If they Stephenson is fine to play, he’s fine to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back