3- Dow
4- Rayner
5- Brayshaw
6- Brander, (Darcy Moore to CHB)
7- Stephenson
8- Bonar
9- Coffield
10- Clark

We got Coffield/Allen combo, Murphy went 15 sorry Dannnnnnnnnn.
I did one recently. Had us with Coffield & Lachie Fogarty.

Been back at the reels.

Love Zac Bailey but there is a downside, his kicking is serviceable, not impressive. Similar to Dahlhaus, I thought.

On the other hand, there is a player who has not attracted much attention or positive attention in this thread who looks well worth consideration for pick 16.

I am talking about Joel Garner. He has good disposal skills (nice long, penetrating...kick), plays with authority, is excellent overhead, pretty speedy and is well put together at 18.3cm long...I mean tall and 81 kgs for 18yo.

He looks like a pure HBF or BP, possibly a winger, but recruiting him would free up JJ to play further up the ground. Garner is strong in a couple of areas I feel are generally acknowledged as being problematic with our list: we need more players who are competitive overhead, we need more players who are good kicks of the ball.

So perhaps more of us should put the obvious "Is your girlfriend's name Wendi? No, it says, Welcome to the West Indies" joke aside and take a second look.

Last edited:

I did one recently. Had us with Coffield & Lachie Fogarty.
That is a pretty good twosome, i had Fogarty at GWS 2nd pick in the
twenties along with Shipley at 11 and Richards at 27, there is
something about Shipley and he is from Greater Western Sydney so
it's a good PR exercise for them. I found it hard to place all the KPD,
quality draft for KPD's.

He's from Victoria originally so even less go home factor.
When he was young though. But I take your point, less risk for sure. Seems pies are a chance at 6. I'm just hoping for a slider. We seem right on the edge of where the quality of picks changes slightly.

I'm not much of a draft guru but here's my guess (admittedly based on limited exposure)
Overrated - Lochie O'Brien, Darcy Fogarty
Underrated - Lachlan Fogarty, Hunter Clark
Smokey - Aaron Redhead, Guelfi - haven't really examined the smokies in much detail though.​
Get the feeling that Clark is being overrated. Was into him early but the more I see the less I like. Skills are meant to be good but look sloppy in action. Would be OK with him at 16 but not 9. Agree on L Fogarty though, would be very happy with him at 16.

Get the feeling that Clark is being overrated. Was into him early but the more I see the less I like. Skills are meant to be good but look sloppy in action. Would be OK with him at 16 but not 9. Agree on L Fogarty though, would be very happy with him at 16.
I get that. A few people have said he's overrated. My thinking is that he's been seen as one of the top few picks in his cohort for years but now is slipping in many people's eyes and could become value again.

In short - if he's rated 1-5 (which I think is where he used to be rated a year or so back) then he's overrated but if he's rated 11-20 he's probably under rated. I think he'll go OK wherever he ends up and I wouldn't be upset if we got him at 9.

From October 6 this article on Joel Garner

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-afl-national-draft-2017-20171005-gyvfxa.html

Of note were his organisational ability and leadership aspirations -

"It's clear leadership is a trait Garner embraces.

"I am pretty vocal at training. That's why I get the votes from the boys. I love my footy, being a leader," he said.

"They [AFL clubs] always speak about my leadership, which is one of the key points of my game ... it definitely does come naturally, talking and leading from the front. It's always been a part of me."

That was evident in the final of the national championships when he had 24 disposals, nine marks, four tackles and two clearances, his performance sparking comparisons with how Luke Hodge had "quarterbacked" the Hawks over the years."

I'd say these qualities would rate highly with us.

With Clayton going into the draft knowing he’s a goner, makes me think that Shane Rogers had a similar thing a few years ago. From memory his efforts in his final draft were 7 for Jaksch, Whiley and Borkhurst, Clem Smith, Jayden Foster and Dillon Viojo-Rainbow.

I’d be stressed if I was a Suns fan.
+ you'd be lonely as a suns fan ;)

Coffield & L Fogarty would be fantastic for us, not sure Coffield does become a midfielder but even if he doesn't a flexible tallish flanker with leadership qualities who can kick is good for us. L Fogarty seems to be able to play pressure forward as he builds his tank for AFL midfield.

Guelfi / Redhead as pick 82 smokeys.

Vandermeer impressed me with his linebreaking ability but missed a lot of kicks he should have made.

Also Dylan Landt. He is quick, real quick. I liked the few times I've seen him good left hoof on him.

Josh Jaska I have talked about all year. Would do wonders to put him with Morris for a year. They are very similar players.

Flynn Appleby is another Morris type, only 186cm but can play tall. Kept Brander to just 4 possessions when I saw him. Also kept the better TAC forwards goal less in Miers and D'Arcy as well. He played a game in the VFL on leading goal kicker (at the time) Kayle Kirby and blanketed him even though his team got smashed as well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flynn Appleby is another Morris type, only 186cm but can play tall. Kept Brander to just 4 possessions when I saw him. Also kept the better TAC forwards goal less in Miers and D'Arcy as well. He played a game in the VFL on leading goal kicker (at the time) Kayle Kirby and blanketed him even though his team got smashed as well.

Also if we are looking at small tackle maniac forwards then another smokey is Alfie Jarnestrom. He looked good in the TAC finals I saw and is a natural instinctive player. Pretty damaging off his left too.

Bit on the Sandringham website makes him sound like a pretty good bloke too.

For Sandringham Dragons midfielder Alfie Jarnestrom, his top-age year hasn’t been entirely smooth sailing after missing out on Vic Metro selection and struggling with illness throughout the season. But the Brighton Grammar student is taking it all in his stride.

Working with the Dragons coaching staff and strength and conditioning team, Jarnestrom has focused on making the most out of his time with Sandringham.

“I thought I could either feel sorry for myself and nothing would change or I could go and seek some feedback on things I needed to improve,” he said.

“In doing so, I set some goals with coaches and did extra sessions to make sure my weaknesses became my strengths and my strengths became even stronger.”

The two-time Brighton Grammar best and fairest winner has transitioned from a role at half back in the APS competition, to a move into the midfield and forward line during his time playing in the TAC Cup; a move Jarnestrom says has been able to showcase his best attributes as a footballer.

“I feel like I’m the most comfortable at half back and midfield as I’ve been playing there during my junior career and I feel like I can read the ball well (in that position).

“However, I have had the most impact as a forward and midfielder as that is where I can be the most damaging with my foot skills.

“I would say my composure (in games) and my decision-making are my best attributes,” he said.

Sandringham Dragons assistant coach Jackson Kornberg echoes Alfie’s statements about his ability to impact a game.

“Alfie is a class act,” Jackson said during the season.

“He is determined and has a real desire to improve. While he’s not ridiculously quick, he has the ability to see the game quicker than most and react to that.

“He’s played midfield and forward for us and shown he’s capable of having a significant impact in either position.”

When looking for inspiration, Jarnestrom models his game off of the AFL’s best small forwards.

“I like looking at players such as Michael Walters (from Fremantle) and Eddie Betts (from Adelaide) who have a big impact up forward by putting on pressure but are also able to go into the midfield an impact there as well.”

Since returning to the Dragons line-up in round 12 against Gippsland Power, Jarnestrom has been nominated the Fin-Fitness best-on-ground player twice and slotted seamlessly back into the Dragons way of football.

Despite his strong run of form, Alfie says nothing has changed.

“Personally, not much has changed, I’m just really enjoying my footy at the moment and that has translated into good performances,” he said.

“I’m going into every game confident in my ability to perform and execute the game plan.”

A member of the 2017 Sandringham Dragons leadership group, Jackson describes Alfie as one of the best “decision makers” he has seen in his time at the Dragons.

“Alfie is a natural leader and is respected immensely by his peers, which is a credit to him and the hard work he puts in on the track and off field.

“I would regard him as one of the best decision makers without the ball that I’ve coached throughout my time at the Dragons … he just sees (the run of the game) before anyone else.”

With his time at school drawing to a close and his VCE exams nearly upon him, Alfie isn’t fazed by the pressures the combination of TAC Cup and year 12 present.

“I completed two ¾ (VCE) units by year 12 as I knew it would be a busy year and it has allowed me to use my spares effectively in school and not feel too stressed out (about the busy year),” he said.

“At the moment, I try (to spend my spare time) studying for exams but I love to play golf and hang out with friends.”[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Live update: Bayley Fritsch is working on his right foot kicking
Never heard of him but all Baileys/Bayleys are welcome at VUWO. That includes you Zac.

How cool if we could get 18 of them on the park at the same time? (Might have to get #4 to change his name to Bailey Bontempelli... has a nice alliterative ring to it)

Also if we are looking at small tackle maniac forwards then another smokey is Alfie Jarnestrom. He looked good in the TAC finals I saw and is a natural instinctive player. Pretty damaging off his left too.

Bit on the Sandringham website makes him sound like a pretty good bloke too.

For Sandringham Dragons midfielder Alfie Jarnestrom, his top-age year hasn’t been entirely smooth sailing after missing out on Vic Metro selection and struggling with illness throughout the season. But the Brighton Grammar student is taking it all in his stride.

Working with the Dragons coaching staff and strength and conditioning team, Jarnestrom has focused on making the most out of his time with Sandringham.

“I thought I could either feel sorry for myself and nothing would change or I could go and seek some feedback on things I needed to improve,” he said.

“In doing so, I set some goals with coaches and did extra sessions to make sure my weaknesses became my strengths and my strengths became even stronger.”

The two-time Brighton Grammar best and fairest winner has transitioned from a role at half back in the APS competition, to a move into the midfield and forward line during his time playing in the TAC Cup; a move Jarnestrom says has been able to showcase his best attributes as a footballer.

“I feel like I’m the most comfortable at half back and midfield as I’ve been playing there during my junior career and I feel like I can read the ball well (in that position).

“However, I have had the most impact as a forward and midfielder as that is where I can be the most damaging with my foot skills.

“I would say my composure (in games) and my decision-making are my best attributes,” he said.

Sandringham Dragons assistant coach Jackson Kornberg echoes Alfie’s statements about his ability to impact a game.

“Alfie is a class act,” Jackson said during the season.

“He is determined and has a real desire to improve. While he’s not ridiculously quick, he has the ability to see the game quicker than most and react to that.

“He’s played midfield and forward for us and shown he’s capable of having a significant impact in either position.”

When looking for inspiration, Jarnestrom models his game off of the AFL’s best small forwards.

“I like looking at players such as Michael Walters (from Fremantle) and Eddie Betts (from Adelaide) who have a big impact up forward by putting on pressure but are also able to go into the midfield an impact there as well.”

Since returning to the Dragons line-up in round 12 against Gippsland Power, Jarnestrom has been nominated the Fin-Fitness best-on-ground player twice and slotted seamlessly back into the Dragons way of football.

Despite his strong run of form, Alfie says nothing has changed.

“Personally, not much has changed, I’m just really enjoying my footy at the moment and that has translated into good performances,” he said.

“I’m going into every game confident in my ability to perform and execute the game plan.”

A member of the 2017 Sandringham Dragons leadership group, Jackson describes Alfie as one of the best “decision makers” he has seen in his time at the Dragons.

“Alfie is a natural leader and is respected immensely by his peers, which is a credit to him and the hard work he puts in on the track and off field.

“I would regard him as one of the best decision makers without the ball that I’ve coached throughout my time at the Dragons … he just sees (the run of the game) before anyone else.”

With his time at school drawing to a close and his VCE exams nearly upon him, Alfie isn’t fazed by the pressures the combination of TAC Cup and year 12 present.

“I completed two ¾ (VCE) units by year 12 as I knew it would be a busy year and it has allowed me to use my spares effectively in school and not feel too stressed out (about the busy year),” he said.

“At the moment, I try (to spend my spare time) studying for exams but I love to play golf and hang out with friends.”

I saw quite a lot of Jarnestrom, he's not overly quick in a straight line for a small guy is what concerns me a bit. Smart footballer, good tackler and he did have a good finals series like you said. We could do worse, but I would probably would prefer someone a bit quicker like some of the other guys you mentioned in Landt and Crowden.

Never heard of him but all Baileys/Bayleys are welcome at VUWO. That includes you Zac.

How cool if we could get 18 of them on the park at the same time? (Might have to get #4 to change his name to Bailey Bontempelli... has a nice alliterative ring to it)

It's possible that we could take 3 in the draft, kinda funny if we did.

These here are draft chances

Bailey Henderson
Bailey Griffiths
Bayley Fritsch
Bailey Banfield
Zac Bailey

Got a slight hope now, don't know which teams are in the camp of thinking his heart is an issue or not and which side we land on though
Yeah haven't heard too much about his heart issue personally. But I dunno just starting to feel like he might just be available if he can get past Norf. And with Brayshaw seemingly rising that's sounding like a real possibility. Would probably also need Freo or Collingwood or both to go tall. Don't think saints would take him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back