List Mgmt. The 2017 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals Thread (cont. in Part II)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keen to end up with either O'Brien or Brander.

O'Brien I would use off half back as he has that penetrating left foot that we have missed since Mal left, but has way more pace than either of Mal or a Newman type. Very aggressive and confident which can lead to some poor decisions (biting off more than he can chew) which would frustrate a few but he is an elite kick in general.

Brander I had as #1 pick type of player at the start of the year as a forward. Seems to have dropped a bit but would be keen on him if he slipped just because I had him rated that highly in the first place. Would get a couple years of development before Buddy potentially hits a crossroad and maybe Sinclair & Tippett are gone. Very unlikely though.

We already have a decent half back flanker in Jones, but Horse is obsessed with finding anyone who can nail a certain position and then turning them into midfielders (see: Heeney, Papley, probably Mills or Newman next year). This "oh and they can run through the middle too" ideology Horse has is good and all and works here and there, but when our best small forward is spending huge chunks of the game nowhere near the goals, or our best marking player is being played as a defensive midfielder, it doesn't really work. I see Jones as that traditional flanker because he can break a line in that crucial area of the ground that you need to do well.. I don't really see him as a ball winner around the stoppages like he spent parts of this season.

I noticed this knightmare self promoter has us taking Oscar allen with our first pick.

that is the first I have heard about this and hope it is wrong.
I reckon he's just changed it up a bit for arguments sake. This last one is all over the shop. Every sport, every draft they do the same to keep it interesting. I certainly can't see Dow going 1st unless there is some QLD connection we don't know about. I also hope he's wrong about our pick.

Worpel with our 2nd pick would be a better get than Constable with our first. I reckon he's good to go for a few games if we need to cover injuries for a few games here or there. Just need to make him watch some tape of Tich in his last year with us when he stopped bombing it.
O'brien an Worpel would be a great first two.
Whaddya reckon?

Good coverage of 2nd 3rd rnd here.

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/...s-2017-final-afl-draft-power-rankings-part-1/

They're all very good players and I'd be happy to have any of them on our list, but with a combined 30 seasons between them, how many premiership medals do they have?

Also I don't believe Sam Hayes is rated anywhere near as highly as Nic Nat or Ryder were in their draft class. Gawn admittedly was picked later in the draft

Plenty of all time greats never win a premiership. Some of the very best players of any era, miss out, whether they be rucks or key positition players or midfielders. Its bloody hard and takes a good deal of luck to boot.

No single draftee will be the difference but i think therr are good arguments that hayes would fit into a decent list management strategy.

I just think that higgins clark and obrien will be gone, and that he is the next best option.

Last edited:
Worpel with our 2nd pick would be a better get than Constable with our first. I reckon he's good to go for a few games if we need to cover injuries for a few games here or there. Just need to make him watch some tape of Tich in his last year with us when he stopped bombing it.
O'brien an Worpel would be a great first two.
Whaddya reckon?

Good coverage of 2nd 3rd rnd here.

https://www.afl*******************/...s-2017-final-afl-draft-power-rankings-part-1/

I heard from some close to West Coast that they are very into both Worpel and Hunter Clark, and both should fall around the picks West Coast have if some of the predictions turn out to be right. I would vomit if the Eagles got them with their first two because they're actually two of the very few who have stood out to me in terms of justifying hype

I heard from some close to West Coast that they are very into both Worpel and Hunter Clark, and both should fall around the picks West Coast have if some of the predictions turn out to be right. I would vomit if the Eagles got them with their first two because they're actually two of the very few who have stood out to me in terms of justifying hype
That would be a perfect draft for them given their needs. Luckily we have a pick right before them in 2nd round. ;)
We'll be lucky if Worpel falls to us, he looks a beast. He would allow Papley to stay near goal a lot more.

Plenty of all time greats never win a premiership. Some of the very best players of any era, miss out, whether they be rucks or key positition players or midfielders. Its bloody hard and takes a good deal of luck to boot.

No single draftee will be the difference but i think therr are good arguments that hayes would fit into a decent list management strategy.

I just think that higgins clark and obrien will be gone, and that he is the next best option.

Have to disagree, can't see how adding a 5th ruckman to our list with our first round pick is a good strategy when the game has moved towards playing 1 solo ruck. Particularly when Tippet Naismith and Sinclair are all contracted for another 1-2 seasons each.

If Hayes is as good as you say he is, it's more than likely he'll be poached by another team who can offer better opportunity at the end of his 2nd year. Even if you allowed for 1 of the ruckman to be unavailable for the whole of the next 2 seasons, then one of the remaining 4 won't have a position in the NEAFL team

Have to disagree, can't see how adding a 5th ruckman to our list with our first round pick is a good strategy when the game has moved towards playing 1 solo ruck. Particularly when Tippet Naismith and Sinclair are all contracted for another 1-2 seasons each.

If Hayes is as good as you say he is, it's more than likely he'll be poached by another team who can offer better opportunity at the end of his 2nd year. Even if you allowed for 1 of the ruckman to be unavailable for the whole of the next 2 seasons, then one of the remaining 4 won't have a position in the NEAFL team
It’s strange to make up one tenth (approx) of your list with ruckmen let alone increase it to an eighth. The utility role seems to have disappeared, although I think it’s been renamed...the Towers role, except he’s limited in adaptability!

I was thinking the same thing as I wrote it but I thought I'd be nice as he did finish his season off reasonable well.

we don't need another ruckman and we don't need one who cannot kick straight.

I was thinking the same thing as I wrote it but I thought I'd be nice as he did finish his season off reasonable well.

Just taking the piss Mick. Poor Deano has some Frank Spencer type moments but you can't fault his attitude and application. Try's his guts out for the most part and agree his mid to late season form was pretty solid. Don't want to knock a young bloke but at the moment I would take him over Cunningham all day long. Harry can be a bludger at times especially when he is across half forward letting opposition sweepers run off unattended where Towers does run hard both ways imo. All semantics though regardless, gotta get it and do something with it !

Just taking the piss Mick. Poor Deano has some Frank Spencer type moments but you can't fault his attitude and application. Try's his guts out for the most part and agree his mid to late season form was pretty solid. Don't want to knock a young bloke but at the moment I would take him over Cunningham all day long. Harry can be a bludger at times especially when he is across half forward letting opposition sweepers run off unattended where Towers does run hard both ways imo. All semantics though regardless, gotta get it and do something with it !
I agree and ive been a knocker of Fawlty , but at least he has a crack compared to Cunningham.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree i'd take Towers over Cunningham but if we're serious about wanting a flag neither should be in our best 22

With all due respect folks, Cunningham went down with a foot problem in Rd 9 against the Saints, when he was having a cracker of a game with his two way running, & he returned to the senior team in Rd 23 after some games in the NEAFL.
Do any of you think that he would have lost that peak conditioning to be at his best?
Just asking that's all so don't abuse me.

With all due respect folks, Cunningham went down with a foot problem in Rd 9 against the Saints, when he was having a cracker of a game with his two way running, & he returned to the senior team in Rd 23 after some games in the NEAFL.
Do any of you think that he would have lost that peak conditioning to be at his best?

My beef wasn't with his output. I expected him to not be as good when he returned from his injury and wasn't even sure he was worth the risk bringing back into the side late in the season after his NEAFL form wasn't outstanding. My beef is and always has been with his toughness and consistency. Just plays a very soft brand of footy and when he's going it's forgivable but when he's not (which is a lot of the time), he's just a complete passenger. Lloyd is an outside player like Cunningham but he works hard, tries hard and would put his head over the ball whenever necessary. As I mentioned on another thread, Florent and Hayward are twigs and they showed a willingness to work harder than Cunningham does. So yeah hope that explains it at least from my perspective

Abuse back

Every player on our list that is under performing or is not playing to a level that warrants a place in our best 22 seems to have the get out clause of injury or lack of match fitness. In some cases it is completely understandable and legitimate. In others it is complete BS. I wish Harry could be the player the club wants him to be but sorry apart from the Saints game you refer to he has done nothing that says he is a player that is going to be a crucial part of building to our next premiership. He does not tackle well, takes the odd short step and if you watch him carefully does not work as hard as he needs to. We need to start getting the business done now and stop pissing around and win our next flag. We have had the opportunity, We have had the list and We have arguably the best Forward to play the game post Lockett. No more excuses for Blokes who just don't cut it. Cunningham is no orphan here either. Harry is on the list next year and hopefully he proves me wrong but if he doesn't it won't be because of injury.

Yeah I agree re Cunningham, while I like his pace, he lacks heart (that’s a tough thing to say)!

Looks like Carlton are doing their best to lock in the No 1 pick next year. No Gibbs and now no Docherty (ACL in training - A Supercoach tragedy).

I thought Cunningham was playing well when he came back from being dropped - a few good games I think - and sure he's no Brett Kirk, but the way the game is we need some runners and he is one of those. If we pick up O'brien in the draft then Cunningham will have a battle on his hands to retain his spot and that would be a good thing. He or McV if he has a form dip would be the two most likely to feel the pressure from him I guess.

Brisbane are dead keen on
I reckon he's just changed it up a bit for arguments sake. This last one is all over the shop. Every sport, every draft they do the same to keep it interesting. I certainly can't see Dow going 1st unless there is some QLD connection we don't know about. I also hope he's wrong about our pick.

I think you might be surprised..... there is no QLD connection but they are dead keen on him - he's got it all and does it with no fuss, he also doesn't have the profile of others and that suits Brisbane down to the ground. My guess is it will be between him and Uniacke Davies for the top pick with Rayner considered too much of a flight risk.

.... I'm sure they'll do me in the eye and take Rayner now that I've put it out there.

Looks like Carlton are doing their best to lock in the No 1 pick next year. No Gibbs and now no Docherty (ACL in training - A Supercoach tragedy).

I thought Cunningham was playing well when he came back from being dropped - a few good games I think - and sure he's no Brett Kirk, but the way the game is we need some runners and he is one of those. If we pick up O'brien in the draft then Cunningham will have a battle on his hands to retain his spot and that would be a good thing. He or McV if he has a form dip would be the two most likely to feel the pressure from him I guess.
A supercoach tragedy, what about the poor lad and kids and fans that support him, who give a flying F about supercoach. You wouldn't like it if it was one of ours. WARTCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back