Socceroos THE WORLD CUP PLAY OFF THREAD-Socceroos through to Russia 2018 3-1 on Aggregate!!!! Ange resigns!

Who will qualify for the 2014 FIFA World Cup

• Australia Mate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Honduras Gringo

• I don't care. I'm waiting for the AFL draft.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So when can we expect a decision in regards to Ange and Tim ?
I think its in the best interest for the team that neither goes to Russia. Cahill is still capable of brilliant moments, but most of the times looks completely lost, especially when the ball is quick in transition. Juric and Rogic are our two main attacking threats, and should lead the attack in Russia.

It can't hurt having Cahill around for potential goals.

Last edited:
HI everyone,
I'd like to, if you allow me, to share my experiences of last nights game. We were watching the game with some friends, one of whom is one of those know it alls when it comes to everything, including football. Let's set the stage:

- he claims to have played the game
- he has nephew who play for very good club, juniors.
- says he watches a lot of juniors (true)

Here's some of the crap I had to put up with comments wise
- first half early stages, cahill coming back from offside position, casually walking back as the ball was pinballing in the box, and rolled past him. He bellowed "its just there turn around and kick a goal!". Me: um he's offside

- behich gets early yellow
Him: what?? Didn't even touch him
Me: ref probably saw it as a dangerous tackle, showing studs.

- we need strikers. We don't have anyone who can run and take on two players and score.
Me: wut? Is that what a striker is?
Him: well someone who's fast and can run past players
Me: would you call ronaldinho (*) a striker?
Him: ummmm (clearly doesn't know who ronaldinho was)

After a failed attack he repeated this line of thinking
Me: would you call Vardy or Kane strikers?
Him: well... looks away
Me: How about Viduka?
*crickets*
Me: all you watch are youtube clips of ronaldo and bale. You think all that fancy footwork is what makes a striker. FFS

- Takes umbrage at the theatrics of Hondurans after being fouled.
Him: oh god, you wouldn't see that in AFL. Here look at this, see that, that's my nephew getting cleaned up playing for ?????. He got up, didn't complain and cry like these guys
Me: so if this is strictly a football trait, when do you think your nephew will start doing all this diving stuff?
No answer.

- Him: this guy (juric) is a gun. When I saw him play juniors I told everyone he was gonna be a gun.
Um, mate I think juric lived and played juniors in sydney. You've never been there

- Him: Aussie teams from the 80s would beat this team (current national team).
Me: how so? Which players from the 80s do you reckon would beat this team?
Him: ummm

- Him: Honduras have a better defensive structure than us
Me: how so?
*crickets*

- Him: matt ryan is always shaky with his feet. I'm a bit biased cause my nephew is a goal keeper so I watch a lot of keepers play

- Honduras take free kick and drill it low into the wall
Him: why do they do that? At my nephews training I go out there and can put 6/10 in the back of the net. Just kick it over the wall
Me: sometimes players go low and try to go under the wall, or get a deflection. Also at that distance (short) its hard to get it up and down

- Corner
Him: why do we do these flat corners? The most dangerous ones are the floating ones

Endless crap.

In addition he said we should bring young guys into the world cup team, give them some experience. I asked him who he'd bring in, couldn't name anyone.

With the actual game, it was interesting that on our corners there was one Honduras player always standing fairly close to Mooy. Thought this tactic helped us a bit in that it forced the corners to go a bit higher and deeper, whereas often the corner would be flat and not even get past the first defender.

Also, how good is Rogic, his touch is just sublime. Passing can be a bit heavy, but it's great to have him in the middle.
I'm also not really sure about Milligan, prefer to see someone like Luongo but I guess he's not as defensive or physical.

I do laugh how the Honduras coach is whinging about the ref?

Did he forget the first leg where we had a clear as day penalty over ruled for an "off side" that was 2 metres ON SIDE!

I do laugh how the Honduras coach is whinging about the ref?

Did he forget the first leg where we had a clear as day penalty over ruled for an "off side" that was 2 metres ON SIDE!

Did he also not notice his players taking us out at every opportunity?

Did he also not notice his players taking us out at every opportunity?

Agreed. was hilarious, and they barely even tried to play football! They spent all first leg and the first half last night diving around like a bunch of 10 year olds...no shock when they conceded they started actually playing football!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the game last night, and then had a read through this thread. I noticed the comments regarding the Sydney crowd at kick off.

ANZ Stadium, and Sydney Trains, are a disgrace!! Blame the town planners who ever decided that a major stadium should be placed that far from the city!!

I left North Sydney at 5pm, stopped at a pub for 2 beers at Central and left the pub at 6.20. Got onto the train at approximately 6.30.... Apparently an express to the ground, leaving every 7 or 8 minutes. With 1.5 hours up our sleeve, and after running from the station around the ground ( with no signage) and up the top of those stupid bloody spiral ramps... We made it to our seat just as the anthems started. Others on our train missed the start after leaving over 1.5 hours from Central.

Someone with us was taking it more casual and decided not to leave Central until 7pm. He missed the whole of the first half!!

Until you live up here, you cannot understand how much of a s**t hole the Homebush precinct is, and just how bad Sydney Trains are. It was so disappointing that the ground was only half full for the anthems!!!

It would not have happened in Melbourne... Partially because they are just so much better at attending sport and partially because you can walk from the city to both of the major stadiums.

One of the many reasons why Melbourne is the sporting capital.

The transport issue for Homebush is a nightmare. Not quite as bad as Waverley though.

One of the many reasons why Melbourne is the sporting capital.

The transport issue for Homebush is a nightmare. Not quite as bad as Waverley though.

Hopefully when all the upgrades/light rail installations in the future Homebush won't be so bad. Right now it is awful though!

Have to say, in terms of our history in Continental playoffs - Honduras have to be miles in front in terms of the worst oppo we have had to face. They don't offer a single bit over the 180m.

So when can we expect a decision in regards to Ange and Tim ?
I think its in the best interest for the team that neither goes to Russia. Cahill is still capable of brilliant moments, but most of the times looks completely lost, especially when the ball is quick in transition. Juric and Rogic are our two main attacking threats, and should lead the attack in Russia.

I reckon we'll go to the cup with both. There's no way we leave our best goal scorer at home when we're struggling to score. Ange also deserves a fair bit of credit. It's no easy thing to qualify and we're hardly a very talented team right now.

Have to say, in terms of our history in Continental playoffs - Honduras have to be miles in front in terms of the worst oppo we have had to face. They don't offer a single bit over the 180m.
They got in because Mexico didn't want the USA to make it.

The latter would have given us a bigger run IMO

I know our goalscoring or lack thereof is a huge concern however my biggest concern should Ange continue, is the back 3.

Jedinak makes us a much tougher side to break down. He picks teams apart and provides the leadership needed.

I reckon we'll go to the cup with both. There's no way we leave our best goal scorer at home when we're struggling to score. Ange also deserves a fair bit of credit. It's no easy thing to qualify and we're hardly a very talented team right now.
It isn't Ange's fault we didn't qualify direct from the group stage. If we had of taken some of our basic chances in front of goal, we would have qualified nearly 6 months ago.

Back