List Mgmt. 2017 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to Draft them for the future, lose Jack to injury next yr & we'll miss the 8, long term we don't have a replacement as yet. nail the right 2 & our fwd line is set for the next decade.
So you don't Griffiths? Me either. If he gets on the park it will be a bonus. And yeah if we could get some talls that are playing senior footy quickly. Then fine. Curnow from Carlton played a lot this year, as did OBrien from the Hawks after only being in the system a couple of years . (can't think of any others)

As far as tall forwards go we have Griff. (200cm) Moore (193) & Chol (198) waiting in the VFL. We have Hampson & Soldo as backup rucks. That is enough. Trade for one next year.
Moore is probably ready to play senior football. I haven't seen him enough to judge. I have no faith in Griff's ability to last a season, a Chol didn't look ready to play AFL. (I haven't seen him enough to judge). And given long you need when drafting talls I wouldn't draft more than one. Take your pick out of Brander, Balta, Ballemden.
He could be our best bet (apart from Jack) next year. Not to say he's ready to go but more of a reflection on our KPF stocks. He's athletic can run and jump, and with another preseason under his belt will improve.
All he really needs to do is to get to marking contests and make them a 50/50 so our small and mid forwards can wreak havoc, he certainly has the endurance and speed to do that

They wont have success
They might not get wins on the board but if Dew can get them playing a decent brand of footy that the likes of Lynch can buy into it might convince him to stay. Similar to when Hardwick took over with us. We could have had a few stars look to leave for greener pastures but at the time everyone who signed back on did so saying they had brought into what Hardwick was trying to deliver.

They might not get wins on the board but if Dew can get them playing a decent brand of footy that the likes of Lynch can buy into it might convince him to stay. Similar to when Hardwick took over with us. We could have had a few stars look to leave for greener pastures but at the time everyone who signed back on did so saying they had brought into what Hardwick was trying to deliver.

Gold Coast are really up against it and probably 3 years away from playing finals if all goes to plan imo
But it will all depend if AFL do actually throw the money at Lynch for the ambassador role they have hinted at and if Lynch takes the cash and is happy to stay a player that will probably never experience success or true afl honours

On the Phantom Draft board a guy by the name of SnoopDogg who is a respected Junior watcher has Jack Higgins falling to us at 17? Thoughts on that? Probably doesn't fill a need but would be best available most likely
No Chance Higgins or Constable are available at #17 , If they are there would have to be 5 -6 bolters that nobody expected to be there

RFC would have to be 110% on getting Lynch. And I don't know if they can be. With a change of coach at GCS, what if they start having on field success and Lynch decides to stay?
There,s more of a chance THE_GUN inviting Ben Lennon around for a BBQ,Than the suns having success.

I am psychoanalysing the Father-son Naish bid from an opposition club strategic standpoint.

If you bid before about pick 15 there is a reasonable chance Richmond don't match & I doubt any clubs rate Naish that high to risk getting him with their high pick.

If you bid 15 or later the Tigers will very probably match, so you would not bid out of actual interest in Naish, but strategically bid if the Tigers matching improves your draft position. Keep in mind that if you bid unsuccessfully, you're basically telling the player you do select that you are settling for them as the "ugly friend" after hot chick Naish got a better offer and shot you down.

Brisbane - bids at 15, Richmond "waste" 17 to match, meaning only 1 other player selected (instead of 2) before Brisbane next pick at #18. Strategic win.
BUT - Richmond then use pick 20 or more likely 25 on a Ballenden bid, (if not too much of a reach?). Brisbane have to use some handy picks to match.
This becomes a strategic lose-lose draw. Brisbane won't want to upset us as we are one of the clubs who can return an early bid when otherwise there is a good chance a Ballenden bid won't come til much later.

Bulldogs bid at 16. Their next pick is in the 80s so no strategic advantage. Would only do it to be pricks or if they actually want Naish above any others available.

Gold Coast bid at 19. Their next pick is 41. No strategic advantage.

West Coast bid at 21. We "waste" 25 to match, meaning an extra player available for them at pick 26. This may be a good strategic bid, especially if there are 4 or 5 players they rate still draftable. Gives a better chance of one of them being there at 26.

Geelong bid at 22 (or 24). No real strategic advantage. We waste pick 25 meaning an extra player available for their pick 35. Not likely to make much difference.

North bid 23. next pick 64. No strategic advantage.

Any bid after that, we waste picks in the 50's. No strategic advantage.

So, any club can bid to be a prick and make us accountable, but the bid that makes the most sense would be West Coast at 21.

You actually thought about that, did analysis and posted the logical outcome :eek:

Stop doing crazy things like that on BF. You'll ruin the site :p

great work though. Makes perfect sense. Just hope WC don't want him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You actually thought about that, did analysis and posted the logical outcome :eek:

Stop doing crazy things like that on BF. You'll ruin the site :p

great work though. Makes perfect sense. Just hope WC don't want him.
My apologies. ;)
We used to be able to get away with these non-BF posts if we just added a sack Dimma statement to the end, but for some reason those have gone out of fashion.
I should have added a #lolnorf......

Stefan%20O.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-07/irish-pair-driven-for-combine-success

So you don't Griffiths? Me either. If he gets on the park it will be a bonus. And yeah if we could get some talls that are playing senior footy quickly. Then fine. Curnow from Carlton played a lot this year, as did OBrien from the Hawks after only being in the system a couple of years . (can't think of any others)
I don't reckon Griff is the answer & sadly he's 1 head knock away from giving the game away anyway.

On the Phantom Draft board a guy by the name of SnoopDogg who is a respected Junior watcher has Jack Higgins falling to us at 17? Thoughts on that? Probably doesn't fill a need but would be best available most likely
I tweeted B.Andersen yesterday regarding who we'll be looking to pick up in the Draft & his reply was "talls".

Several years ago when we were crap at drafting, we drafted a kid who this year won the brownlow, the Norm Smith and a premiership medallion. Now that we are doing everything better, including drafting, the club should be able to draft a kid who can win the rising star and the coleman along with the brownlow, the Norm Smith and a premiership medallion. Anything less should lead to heads rolling.

Several years ago when we were crap at drafting, we drafted a kid who this year won the brownlow, the Norm Smith and a premiership medallion. Now that we are doing everything better, including drafting, the club should be able to draft a kid who can win the rising star and the coleman along with the brownlow, the Norm Smith and a premiership medallion. Anything less should lead to heads rolling.

The only reason Dusty didn’t win rising star was because he was ineligible due to a fine. Would have shat it in otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back