Rumour Police investigating Gary Ablett Snr for alleged 1970's assault

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest beyond Ablett actually confessing to the crime what could they possibly be investigating.

There would be no evidence and there are no witnesses, this is something that is alleged to have happened nearly 40 years ago.

Whether there was a crime or not it’s just not possible that any kind of criminal conviction could be reached.

Reading between the lines ( coz thats what we do on BF) I wonder if the story is more how old the victim might have been. I agree there would be some difficulty in proving the case after all these years. Unless this is a signal for others to come forward and the prosecution can use 'similar fact evidence' this becomes a difficlt ask for the prosecutor

Ablett had a very wild youth. But as others have said without any evidence its very hard to see it going anywhere although if Ablett is in his born again christian mode he may confess (if he remembers doing it).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett was born 1/10/1961 so if this occurred in the 70s there is a 3 month window when he was 18.

What actually happens if you are historically convicted of a crime from when you were a minor?

He will get sent to a boys home.

Reading between the lines ( coz thats what we do on BF) I wonder if the story is more how old the victim might have been. I agree there would be some difficulty in proving the case after all these years. Unless this is a signal for others to come forward and the prosecution can use 'similar fact evidence' this becomes a difficlt ask for the prosecutor

I did the maths, and Ablett was born in 1961, meaning that he would have been between 9 to 19 in the 70's (depending which year this was alleged to occur).

It said that the victim is 55 now. I think Ablett is 56-57. So he would have been one, maybe two years older than her.

Maybe they were both little kids, and he liked her and gave her a kiss on the cheek, as little kids do, and that today is considered sexual harrassment.

Or maybe he asked her on a date and she screamed "No. Get away from me, pervert" rather than just say that she isn't interested.

I did the maths, and Ablett was born in 1961, meaning that he would have been between 9 to 19 in the 70's (depending which year this was alleged to occur).

It said that the victim is 55 now. I think Ablett is 56-57. So he would have been one, maybe two years older than her.
Thanks. It then becomes a he said she said issue imo which can be difficult to prosecute after so long and without 'similar fact'

I sat on the jury for a historical sexual abuse trial of similar age, which went for two weeks, so it was fairly involved, but there was no way we'd have convicted the guy because it was he said/'they said' as stated by GreyCrow. There was no physical evidence. It ended in a mistrial after he told the court he'd been in the slammer for another sexual assault and he was never retried due to his age.

Maybe they were both little kids, and he liked her and gave her a kiss on the cheek, as little kids do, and that today is considered sexual harrassment.

Or maybe he asked her on a date and she screamed "No. Get away from me, pervert" rather than just say that she isn't interested.

Or maybe he raped her. Don't see how you can automatically place the woman in the wrong - plenty of women, men and children have been raped and abused and not gone to the police because of the era, being scared and lack of self confidence. Right now there are a lot of social changes happening that are giving these people the confidence to speak out. I

There was no physical evidence.

So like 90+ percent of sexual offence matters then?

There would be no evidence and there are no witnesses, this is something that is alleged to have happened nearly 40 years ago.

Whether there was a crime or not it’s just not possible that any kind of criminal conviction could be reached.

Hardly; that applies to a lot of sex matters, plenty of which do result in convictions.

Again, the vast majority do not have physical evidence or witnesses.

What actually happens if you are historically convicted of a crime from when you were a minor?

Sentenced as an adult but youth and likely sentence if sentenced as a child are taken into account.

Unless this is a signal for others to come forward and the prosecution can use 'similar fact evidence' this becomes a difficlt ask for the prosecutor

Not in a sex matter involving an adult complainant. It's near impossible to run them together given the subjective nature of consent.

Well, 16 posts for an utterly moronic comment is better than I expected.

Last edited:
Or maybe he raped her. Don't see how you can automatically place the woman in the wrong - plenty of women, men and children have been raped and abused and not gone to the police because of the era, being scared and lack of self confidence. Right now there are a lot of social changes happening that are giving these people the confidence to speak out. I

Innocent until proven guilty, that's how it works, isn't it?

I mean that's how it works with the law. The court of public opinion works the opposite way.

Innocent until proven guilty, that's how it works, isn't it?

I mean that's how it works with the law. The court of public opinion works the opposite way.

It's such a difficult area - it's impossible in most cases to know what has happened.

When I was a kid I could never understand why the lady next door used to wear high neck long sleeved clothes sometimes in the middle of summer, and why the kids had really bad nervous ticks and why my dad would get really upset and not talk the husband and why my parents would do so much to help the lady including the night they took her to hospital and be sad when they talked about her. They obviously hated what was going on but back then it was assumed to be the husbands right to manage his family as he saw fit.

I had a great role models on this issue and I'm really glad times are changing. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty - but in these changing times there are still lots of people around who experienced events that are not acceptable now.

I can't see anyone (not talking specific reported incidents like this one) ever being held accountable for things that may or may not have happened many years ago in a cultural landscape that accepted violence. It is all he said, she said but that doesn't mean that all claims are vexatious. Maybe saying it out loud is a person's way of moving on or they might be deranged enough to make up stores from decades ago. I'll never know, but my personal experience says when this type of story surface I feel sad for all parties involved.

So like 90+ percent of sexual offence matters then?

Hardly; that applies to a lot of sex matters, plenty of which do result in convictions.

Again, the vast majority do not have physical evidence or witnesses.

Sentenced as an adult but youth and likely sentence if sentenced as a child are taken into account.

Not in a sex matter involving an adult complainant. It's near impossible to run them together given the subjective nature of consent.

Well, 16 posts for an utterly moronic comment is better than I expected.
With no physical evidence and the only two people allegedly there when it happened only remembered it after being hypnotised later on in life... No-one (other than the two complainants) saw it or knew anything about it... what else is there after 30+ years??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back