Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s non-functional about having bigger or stronger hamstrings?

On a different note wondering your thoughts on ROM when doing 45 degree seated leg press - I see a lot of people barely get their knees near the chest and then lock the legs out.

First off locking the legs out will take the tension of the quads and is dangerous if you are pushing heavy weights. Secondly how "far back/close" should the knees go to the chest?

On a different note wondering your thoughts on ROM when doing 45 degree seated leg press - I see a lot of people barely get their knees near the chest and then lock the legs out.

First off locking the legs out will take the tension of the quads and is dangerous if you are pushing heavy weights. Secondly how "far back/close" should the knees go to the chest?

Am I allowed to say it depends haha?
Re: locking out knees - horses for courses (training for load/strength or purely hypertrophy?). No more dangerous than locking out a squat or deadlift unless you’re hyper mobile and go into hyper extension (which is what always happens in those rather gruesome videos)
Re - how far the knees go back: will be influenced by
- available ankle ROM
- available knee ROM (an uncommon problem)
- available hip ROM
- foot placement on the plate
- angle of plate
Typically though I would advocate the greatest ROM allowed under the specifics of above

Am I allowed to say it depends haha?
Re: locking out knees - horses for courses (training for load/strength or purely hypertrophy?). No more dangerous than locking out a squat or deadlift unless you’re hyper mobile and go into hyper extension (which is what always happens in those rather gruesome videos)
Re - how far the knees go back: will be influenced by
- available ankle ROM
- available knee ROM (an uncommon problem)
- available hip ROM
- foot placement on the plate
- angle of plate
Typically though I would advocate the greatest ROM allowed under the specifics of above

Thanks. I should of said "dangerous" it's no less dangerous than other "big" exercises but if something goes wrong it seems to be a more significant injury.

Personally I prefer to keep the knees bent slightly and keep the tension on the muscle.

Thanks. I should of said "dangerous" it's no less dangerous than other "big" exercises but if something goes wrong it seems to be a more significant injury.

Personally I prefer to keep the knees bent slightly and keep the tension on the muscle.

The increased severity probably stems from
1) you use more weight on a leg press
2) if something goes wrong in a deadlift you drop the weight, and even a squat you can sort of accordion and avoid the knee copping everything

I don’t know if such statistics exist, but I’d hypothesis there are less injuries on the leg press than either barbell squats or deadlifts

Doing some after work training this week, definitely preferable from a nutrient timing , muscle protein synthesis and anabolism point of view

Normally prefer morning sessions because the gym is quieter and equipment access is less of a problem but because these sessions are just deloading sessions I'm not worried about that.

I also avoid afternoon workouts because I prefer not taking stim heavy preworkout after 4pm because it can mess with my sleeping patterns, however once again deloading sessions don't require PWO

Doing some after work training this week, definitely preferable from a nutrient timing , muscle protein synthesis and anabolism point of view

Normally prefer morning sessions because the gym is quieter and equipment access is less of a problem but because these sessions are just deloading sessions I'm not worried about that.

I also avoid afternoon workouts because I prefer not taking stim heavy preworkout after 4pm because it can mess with my sleeping patterns, however once again deloading sessions don't require PWO
******* lol what a ball ache that was, gym was absolutely packed and filled with dick heads.

Theres no benefit to nutrient timing that makes that torture worthwhile, will just switch back to AM training even for deloading sessions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

man it feels good to be back lifting again.

I'm not even stressing about how far I've had to drop all my weights, taking it as a chance to reset everything, fix form issues as I go

Hit my 160 kg deadlift with more than a month to spare!!

I've been on a calorie deficit for majority of this time too due to my stomach problems so I'm stoked.

4 plates here I come! End of the year too soon? Haha

Hit my 160 kg deadlift with more than a month to spare!!

I've been on a calorie deficit for majority of this time too due to my stomach problems so I'm stoked.

4 plates here I come! End of the year too soon? Haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back