Essendon, where are they now?

Remove this Banner Ad

As for Smith, it is well known that he failed a medical with Geelong otherwise he'd be at Corio Bay as we speak - the Cats couldn't tear up their contract offer to Smith quick enough. There are rare occurrences where failed medicals are overcome (Stevie J the most celebrated), but Smith's recruitment is not without significant risk.

I wasn’t aware Smith failed a medical at Geelong. When was this? Where was it reported? As far as I known he had a cartilage issue that was addressed last year and an issue with PCL that may not even be serious enough to require surgery.

Hey Sedat! I was really looking forward to seeing Smith in the red and black next year, notwithstanding your cautionary 'tale'. Are you going to point us in the direction of this failed medical and a written contract being torn up by the cats, or are you just making stuff up because your club ****ed up the Stringer trade?

Hey Sedat! I was really looking forward to seeing Smith in the red and black next year, notwithstanding your cautionary 'tale'. Are you going to point us in the direction of this failed medical and a written contract being torn up by the cats, or are you just making stuff up because your club ****** up the Stringer trade?
I have no idea about the Cats but I do know from a very reliable source that he failed a medical at the Blues. You can choose not to believe that, it's up to you.

I have no idea about the Cats but I do know from a very reliable source that he failed a medical at the Blues. You can choose not to believe that, it's up to you.
These are rumours that often come out when a player nominates another club and they are usually bullshit.

Essendon list manager and negotiations hard man Adrian Dodoro has declared that the club is relevant again, after this years highly successful trade period. Dodoro brought in multiple high profile recruits for minimal cost, most notably Jake Stringer, where he made the Bulldogs blink.

What do you think? Has this announced the return of Essendon?

Article here:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...s/news-story/363b32b1914ef8cfed90bbfcf10940f5

Attention bomber nuf nufs, you have been giving us s**t for at least a year, but your own club knows you were irrelevant

Attention bomber nuf nufs, you have been giving us s**t for at least a year, but your own club knows you were irrelevant
Irrelevant? Never! Even on your own board every second post is about the Bombers.

Geelong didn't have the trade value to get Smith in, don't give me the medical bullshit.
Umm. Don't the Cats have 2 second round picks they could have used to get Smith. Sure pick 11 for a heap of seconds and Smith was appealing to GWS but there were plenty of ways the Cats could make it happen and still get Ablet after the ridiculous compensation for Motlop.

Umm. Don't the Cats have 2 second round picks they could have used to get Smith. Sure pick 11 for a heap of seconds and Smith was appealing to GWS but there were plenty of ways the Cats could make it happen and still get Ablet after the ridiculous compensation for Motlop.
There's your answer, pick 11.

Hey Sedat! I was really looking forward to seeing Smith in the red and black next year, notwithstanding your cautionary 'tale'. Are you going to point us in the direction of this failed medical and a written contract being torn up by the cats, or are you just making stuff up because your club ****** up the Stringer trade?
Just because it isn't in the news doesn't mean it hasn't happened ;)

Clearly you guys don't rate this draft and are happy to take a punt on very talented players with question marks like Stringer and Smith. As I mentioned earlier, it's a risk worth taking IMO.

I know there's a few pundits that see them as genuine contenders in 2018, but will they be found out for hard inside midfielders? Yes, according to "The List manager"

Bombers might get bashed up says Plough

Former coach Terry Wallace says the capacity of Essendon to refine its all-out attack and match opponent’s midfield muscle will decide the club’s fate in 2018.

Despite adding playmakers Jake Stringer, Devon Smith and Adam Saad in a busy trade period, the Bombers failed to address a lack of midfield muscle in the wake of Jobe Watson’s retirement.

While talented, the midfield lacks grunt given the likes of Zach Merrett, David Zaharkis, Dyson Heppell, Darcy Parish and Brendon Goddard aren’t pure contested ball winners.

“I think that as exciting as they are, good, strong, tough and physical sides through the middle of the ground might still bash them up,” Wallace told SEN’s The Run Home.

“They’re not big.

“If they get hold of you they’ll kick some big scores but if its tough and hard, can they match it?

“That’s my biggest concern.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/11/21/bombers-might-get-bashed-up-says-plough/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um no.
They might get beat but it won't be because of that.

Give me the quote where he calls Heppell soft. He says he isn't a pure contested ball winner and that there are more physically dominant midfield's around that can get a hold of Essendon's, do you disagree on that?
It was a self-aware joke, but anyway. Heppell made an All-Australian team averaging the same number of clearances as Viney, Cotchin and Beams did this year. He isn't a "pure contested ball winner" like a Kennedy or Cripps, but he's more than capable on the inside.

We finished last for clearances in 2017 so I'm sure we do need an inside midfield bull. But then again, Richmond supposedly needed another KPF because their midget forward line wouldn't work. We'll have to see how our midfield actually functions in games throughout the season, and see what the new names (Langford, McGrath, Laverde, Smith, Stinger, Mutch) can add to it in 2018.

They should target Ben Cunnington in next years trade period

They would have to come back at the end of 2020, or make us the greatest offer of all time.

Even then, I don't think Ben would go. I expect his contract will get extended next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back