Essendon, where are they now?

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with his point.

I think out of the top 10 teams going into this year we have the weakest inside midfield.

We might be able to mitigate it a bit with our spread of well-balanced midfielders. Merrett, McGrath, Parish, and Smith will all be capable inside and out despite not being inside beasts.

I agree with his point.

I think out of the top 10 teams going into this year we have the weakest inside midfield.

We might be able to mitigate it a bit with our spread of well-balanced midfielders. Merrett, McGrath, Parish, and Smith will all be capable inside and out despite not being inside beasts.
People said the same about the Crows last year. Sloane and the Crouch brothers stepped up to make them competitive. I'd back our mids against the Crows at the clearances, stats back that up. Beating their team is a different story, and we haven't been able to manage that.
My point is clearances do matter but it's not everything.

Last edited:
I don't think they'll win the flag, but not because they are soft, I just think they lack a true game breaker in the middle of the ground, they need a match winner in the centre. Who was the last premiership team to win a flag without a match winner in the middle?

They should target Ben Cunnington in next years trade period
Doubt he'll go anywhere, although he was linked to the Crows at some point this year for some reason.

They have some younger inside types, like Dylan Clarke and co, but they probably lack that premier inside bull that a lot of sides have atm.

Probably happy to concede the clearances and back their system - slingshoot it as fast as possible and get it into the hands of their forwards.

Daniher, Hooker, Stringer, Smith, Fantasia and Tipungwuti is dangerous as **** on paper.

Yeah some of our transition last year was bloody quick it didn’t give give teams a chance to set up a zone.

Not sure about softness, but size is a definite issue. The trouble they had containing JPK is evidence enough, and that equivalent 190cm/90kg midfielder isn't on the list, or at least isn't anywhere near ready. There is potential in the likes of Laverde, Francis and Begley, but at the moment it's just that and still a few seasons away. And, as the likes of Cripps, Oliver and even Cunnington demonstrate, a single dominant (unprecedented even) clearance player can't work miracles on their lonesome.

Last edited:
People said the same about the Crows last year. Sloane and the Crouch brothers stepped up to make them competitive. I'd back our mids against the Crows at the clearances, stats back that up. Beating their team is a different story, and we haven't been able to manage that.
My point is clearances do matter but it's not everything.

I am pretty confident that we can shred most teams with ball movement. It will be interesting to see how the top teams handle us.

Shred most teams?

I must be in the minority in thinking Essendon will struggle to make the 8

I think we have a real point of difference with the number of players in our 22 who are capable of being damaging with the ball in their hands.

We were capable of having some big quarters this year and we added three dangerous players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shred most teams?

I must be in the minority in thinking Essendon will struggle to make the 8

You definitely would be. Dropped 4 or so games to rubbish sides this year that we should have won and have improved our squad. Absolutely no reason to predict a slide

I am pretty confident that we can shred most teams with ball movement. It will be interesting to see how the top teams handle us.
I liked watching your guys last year for that reason. I can't see you going backwards, I kind of hope not attractive footy should be rewarded.

Last edited:
Probably happy to concede the clearances and back their system - slingshoot it as fast as possible and get it into the hands of their forwards.

Daniher, Hooker, Stringer, Smith, Fantasia and Tipungwuti is dangerous as **** on paper.
that fell apart against Sydney @ the SCG (though it was minus 4/6 of those players).

Josh Kennedy is the player i look at as the example here.
@188cm & 95~kg - thats about the body size you're looking for to play inside and take the physical intensity of contested football.

On our list:
Goddard. 193cm & 94kg
Begley. 188cm & 94kg
Langford. 191cm & 90kg
Myers. 191cm & 88kg
Laverde. 191cm & 88kg

its not too bad. All 5 of those should be looking to start in 2018.

If they bring the same effort to run, block and tackle that the Tigers did this year, that will be the difference.
Bodies isnt the issue. Its the effort and application

I don't know about their midfield, but a warning to any team playing them at Etihad Stadium - these guys are very quick. If they bring their speed as well as bring pressure and good foot skills, I can see them tearing teams up. Especially with how potent their forward line is.

I think we have a real point of difference with the number of players in our 22 who are capable of being damaging with the ball in their hands.

We were capable of having some big quarters this year and we added three dangerous players.
I agree in part with this, there is no doubt you have put together a team who can handle the footy at speed & move the ball quickly, but when that gets shut down it's hard too see how you guys can win in another fashion....Adelaide this year had that exact problem in their losses ( GF prime example ).

My gut says they'll win a final but gee, the 3 blokes they recruited don't really like getting their hands dirty do they?
Bombers will kick some cricket scores during the h&a but it'll be interesting to see if woosha can instill a gameplan that'll hold up come finals

I agree in part with this, there is no doubt you have put together a team who can handle the footy at speed & move the ball quickly, but when that gets shut down it's hard too see how you guys can win in another fashion....Adelaide this year had that exact problem in their losses ( GF prime example ).
I agree there. Sides will work us out and when we do get shut down Woosha has to show that he can come up with something different and I’m not convinced he can.
It’s all well and good kicking big scores but sometimes you have to roll up your sleeves and engage in an arm wrestle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back