Votes: 10 3.6%
  • Aiden Bonar

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • Nathan Murphy

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

i agree about 2014 although crows did well with Lever and McGovern with later picks.

Not sure how you can say our talent ID is above average when looking at the other drafts. The fact we wanted Aish as soon as we could get our hands on him shows that, injuries aside, that draft will haunt us when it could have made us.

By definition we only need to be in the top 8 clubs in talent ID in a given time frame to be above average. In terms of our ability to find value I would look at the bombs rather than the hits which it’s clear we’ve had.

Since 2012 we’ve bombed on Kennedy, Freeman, Aish, Mayne, Golds and Goodyear. Each other player we’ve selected has given us value or has been impacted by external issues which can’t have been factored in when scouting. That’s a touch over 1 bomb a year. It’s certainly not a perfect record given our poor development, coaching and declining resource investment, but it’s on par with 04-08. The key difference being others have caught us in the other areas and we’ve stagnated.

If we make strides in coaching and development I guarantee the mood will shift on our draft work.

FWIW Melbourne are the challenger out of the 14 draft with Petracca, Brayshaw, ANB, Stretch and McDonald. IMO, we’ll get 600-700 matches from our three barring injury and I can’t see another club matching that output.

Is he actually a poor kick or is it just his kicking style? As long as he hits targets I don’t care how it looks

From what I've read the issue isn't that he is an inaccurate kick, it's that his kicks are high and loopy and have a lot of hang time, which makes them easy to intercept.

Draft watchers, is this accurate?

Moore was a no brainer. He was rated highly and we were forced by the Doggies selecting him before us.

I dont understand the raps on moore, if you look at the stat sheets, he has an output similar to Schache, go figure :/

Still unproven IMO.

I just don’t get the excitement over Josh Daicos and Callum Brown. A star? I don’t even see a best-22 player yet.

Daicos has some work to do we fitness and strength and I doubt he will ever be a high possession winner but he is clean and has very good skills by hand and feet so he will hurt opposition sides. I see him as a small forward who will only need 5 kicks to snag 3 or 4 goals. As such his defensive pressure will need to improve to round out his potential role.

Brown I see as a bit of a work horse type, not sure about him to be honest but I would try and develop him into a small defender as he seems to have the attributes. Reminds be a bit if Liam Picken ie might be a late bloomer.

Moore was a no brainer. He was rated highly and we were forced by the Doggies selecting him before us.

Yep, not disputing that, just that he should be dismissed as a positive draft outcome because he was a F/S when we're in the brave new bidding world.

Agree with others on here re: Hine liking the Murphy type and really wouldn't surprise if we went down that path.

The situation reminds me a lot of when we drafted Pendles. Both from elite non football pathways (Basketball and Cricket respectively) and expected by most to be selected in the teens right up until the draft. Most thought taking him at 5 was a stretch. Don't think many would think that now.

His highlights do look good. Kicking and hands look very good. 188cm a nice height for a modern day midfielder and his body type would compliment the more inside types we are developing in JDG/Maynard and to a lesser extent Sier and Wills.

I saw someone made a James Hird comparison in the way he looks and moves. Not a bad comparison on the limited vision I have seen of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So now it’s murphy ?

Not even on the poll?

Just goes to show how hard it is to pick a draftee and how hard it even is to get something remotely looking like consensus.

But no doubt in five years time people will be using 20/20 hindsight. Saying what we should have done....

In 5 years time people will be wondering why dual Brownlow medallist Nathan Murphy went to us at 6 instead of to Brisbane with pick 1 :p

So now it’s murphy ?

Not even on the poll?

Just goes to show how hard it is to pick a draftee and how hard it even is to get something remotely looking like consensus.

But no doubt in five years time people will be using 20/20 hindsight. Saying what we should have done....

I think everyone has a favourite some of us are just saying it could well be a type of player Hine would reach for.

Personally I have a group of players whom I will be happy with and some not so, but ultimately it is personal preference and in no way relevant to Hine or the player he picks.

His information on the players is far superior then anyone's on here but that doesn't mean we cant discuss it for shits and giggles, and have a feel on the draft or give an opinion on players.

I think everyone has a favourite some of us are just saying it could well be a type of player Hine would reach for.

Personally I have a group of players whom I will be happy with and some not so, but ultimately it is personal preference and in no way relevant to Hine or the player he picks.

His information on the players is far superior then anyone's on here but that doesn't mean we cant discuss it for shits and giggles, and have a feel on the draft or give an opinion on players.

That reply narrows the field down!!

I’m not criticising anybody just pointing out it’s not easy. I’m offering no views myself because I’m no expert.

(Although I am criticising in advance the inevitable harry hindsight’s who in five years time will reinvent history and say what we should have done and how obvious it was at the time) .

Last edited:
Back