Delisted #37: Dylan Clarke - End of the road, will not be offered a list spot in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt Crouch was a very poor kick but has understood his limitations and become more reliable. I can see Clarke doing the same, I still think his kicking will be worse but if he is winning enough clearances to feed it out to the likes of Zerrett and Parish then it wont be so bad. Many of the best inside mids in the comp aren't the best kicks they just need to be in the contest winning first possession and feeding it out while also blocking and offering tackling pressure. Clarke fits all those requirements.

Gotta say, I'm surprised at the development in M.Crouch's game - Thought kicking would be a big obstacle at AFL level, but he's turned into a reliable kick - Always though B.Crouch was a class above M.Crouch, but this has not proven to be the case.

Hopefully he improves his positioning and transition running as some spots could really open up in the seniors in 2018.

Has a good engine already but one thing that stood out was the easy passage out of the stoppages in the VFL this year. Felt we lacked some deffensive accountability by some of midfielders this year.

As it stands though, Clarke could go either way in 2018. Stand up and sneak in 1 - 5 games or languish in the VFL again. My tip is the former as the basic tools are already in place. Fingers crossed that kicking tidies up, gets that handball out to our better users of the ball.

The more vids/pics I see of him in pre season the more I feel like he's going to become a rather important cog in our side in years to come. It's just a vibe, i understand it probably sounds weird but just seeing the way he carries himself and his posture and look of confidence, I feel like he is going to be an ever reliable team man at some point in the near future.

The more vids/pics I see of him in pre season the more I feel like he's going to become a rather important cog in our side in years to come. It's just a vibe, i understand it probably sounds weird but just seeing the way he carries himself and his posture and look of confidence, I feel like he is going to be an ever reliable team man at some point in the near future.
IMG_5063.JPG

I think it's because he's already built like he is a 10 year veteran. When you add that with everything you know he can do, even allowing for the deficiencies in his kicking, it makes you much more confident about a pick in the 60s than you'd normally be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta say, I'm surprised at the development in M.Crouch's game - Thought kicking would be a big obstacle at AFL level, but he's turned into a reliable kick - Always though B.Crouch was a class above M.Crouch, but this has not proven to be the case.
Brad has been curtailed by injuries. He did well to get back and get going this year.
Matt has had a fairly uninterrupted career. Much like Merrett has.
He's a smart footballer though. Knows where to be to receive the ball, knows how to keep it moving in close traffic.
And his disposal is pretty good.
Started kicking some goals late on too as the Crows midfield pressed forward.

Actually made that observation on the basis of a small sample of two VFL games and a couple of match replays and highlights - Of course I could have seen Clarke on one of his better days and Mutch one one of his worse days - Clarke is a bone-fide inside midfielder and that's where he has to be played in the AFL - Expect Mutch to play AFL in round 1 and Clarke sometime in 2018 - I'm happy that Bruno read my ramblings !

Would love to see it, but there's a legit 0% chance Mutch plays AFL in Round 1.

Top 3 finish in the time trial, I'll give him to mid season before he overtakes Myers. Clarke's inside game is severely underrated on here, could start Round 1 2018 and be our best clearance player.

Top 3 finish in the time trial, I'll give him to mid season before he overtakes Myers. Clarke's inside game is severely underrated on here, could start Round 1 2018 and be our best clearance player.

It really isn't. Anyone that watched him play in the VFL this year is aware of his inside game. Maybe not being talked up as much as the other kids because he literally can't do one of the basic fundamentals of the game.

Nobody has questioned his inside game. As I've said previously, he's Matt Priddis with inferior kicking skills (and that's bloody hard to do, mind).

His inside game isn't underrated, he hasn't got the chance to show his inside game playing mostly on a forward flank this year. I'll be pretty miffed if he doesn't get more midfield time next year

Does seem to possess a big bodied inside game and grunt we need, also seems to have an exceptional tank. Has any body who has been able to get down to some pre season training noticed any improvement in his kicking at all? How do you guys rate his kicking against a Rhys Mathieson type?

Does seem to possess a big bodied inside game and grunt we need, also seems to have an exceptional tank. Has any body who has been able to get down to some pre season training noticed any improvement in his kicking at all? How do you guys rate his kicking against a Rhys Mathieson type?

He makes Mathieson look like Sam Mitchell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back