Season 2017 - The weirdest and worst ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Shane Edwards? Really?

You'd put Shane Edwards ahead of players like Darren Milburn or Grant Birchall?

I'd choose Steven Motlop or Paul Puopolo ahead of Shane Edwards...
Yeah, but you chose Isaac Smith ahead of Trent Cotchin, so your opinion is invalid. Edwards just had a better finals series and grand final than any of the players you mentioned, and is more versatile, hence filling the last spot on the bench.

What am I being biased about?

Sydney had a train wreck performance against us in the semi, and it wasn't just down to our brilliant pressure.
Geelong were horrible against Richmond, alot of it down to Richmond pressure, but missing uncontested targets, basic skill errors, horrible decision making and dropping uncontested marks, that's on Geelong.

The other game you've taken issue with was the Grand Final, I have no dog in that fight. Why would I be biased towards Adelaide?

Edit* Sorry, I should have just used this to show how horrible your bias is.
Everyone is biased, Geelong supporters are particularly biased against Richmond because we humiliated them and made them afraid for their safety. Geelong were horrible against Richmond because Richmond thrashed them.

Grigg is closer to Lewis' level than Lewis is to Cotchin's, is the point I was making.

Relative evenness of the teams made a good H&A. The first half of the season was especially weird. So many 'upsets' - crazy time.

Finals was a series of one way games. Strange.

Was it the worst? Obviously I'd say no. But also we saw some great performances by winning teams. What I saw was that teams are trying to dominate the opposition. And when they get on top they crush them. This is a physical pressure style. Maybe just accidental, maybe a strategy that professionalism has allowed to be introduced.

Why so many top 4 finals team crumbled after half time gets me. Could be a trend though. I'd say that this is the tigers preferred game plan. Pressure and attack until the oppo crumbles, then go for the jugular. Took most of the season for the team to get the plan and execute it. When they got going it was an awesome ride. It'll be interesting to see if the fragility of even top teams continues.

Everyone is biased, Geelong supporters are particularly biased against Richmond because we humiliated them and made them afraid for their safety. Geelong were horrible against Richmond because Richmond thrashed them.

Grigg is closer to Lewis' level than Lewis is to Cotchin's, is the point I was making.

Geelong fans have no reason to be biased against Richmond. We lost a final in a similar manner to Adelaide just 2 weeks later, who also rolled us earlier in the year costing us top spot, and knocked us out of the Finals in 97. If our collective bias was against any team this finals series, don't you think it would be them? That's even without bringing up the records between our 2 sides for the last 35 years.

Lewis is very close to Cotchin. I'd take Trent just, a touch more explosive.

Grigg doesn't deserve to be mentioned alongside either of them.

How old are you? Because that is not how footy was supposed to be played. It's a shadow of the entertaining sport I watched as a kid.
Old enough to know that when everyone is complaining about how you play when you are winning, to stay with it until it no longer does.
The season prior to the finals was universally hailed as the closest of just about all time. I am not sure when its better looking brother was (the most aesthetic season of all time) let me know if you do. And if then the next stage is to complain about how one sided the finals were, check in to just about any finals series 1980 - 2000. More floggings than Christians got from Romans. I think sometimes we over estimate how good the recent past was. The tigers season and style of play may be a one hit wonder. But some of the most iconic music of all time is. And the tigers season should be noted as such. 13th to first FFS, does this not get any kudos?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Edwards? Really?

You'd put Shane Edwards ahead of players like Darren Milburn or Grant Birchall?

I'd choose Steven Motlop or Paul Puopolo ahead of Shane Edwards...
Are you serious,.no you cant be, nice one nearly had me.

Edwards was sublime throughout most of the year and went to another level during the finals, his handballing out of packs started so many forward attacks, finally showing what he can do.

Horseshit. Richmond's standard of footy was fantastic, hence it dominated the finals like no team in almost two decades. Won contested ball, moved it quickly, applied relentless pressure and kicked great goals.

I know what you're saying and as an old key forward myself I agree to a degree. I would love to see rotations cut and forwards given more of a chance one-out. Richmond would love to be able to give Riewoldt, Martin, Rioli, Caddy, Cotchin and Castagna one-out opportunities inside 50.

Pressure/tackling are the new black, but that's not all it takes. Richmond dominated contested possession this September, handled the ball cleaner, moved the ball quicker than it opponents. Richmond had more marks inside 50 and a stack more running bounces than its opponents. Richmond owned the corridor, like the best teams always do. (Watch our finals again and note how much more often than our opponents we brought the ball through the centre of the ground. This was partly our defensive shape denying them the cut-back inside, and partly the skill and vision of our players, led by Shane Edwards, to beat the opposition's attempts to do likewise.)

I disagree it's boring (of course I do). I can't see how you can argue it's more boring than Sydney and West Coast winning finals with scores in the 50s 11-12 years ago.

Geelong didn't play old-school contest footy, they played run-in-waves handball. Hawthorn played uncontested mark and kick.

There's this myth that Geelong and Hawthorn were champion teams of champions. Have a look at the 2007 grand final line-ups. That Port Adelaide side is the worst team to play in a grand final I've ever seen:

B: 36 Michael Pettigrew 28 Toby Thurstans 9 Jacob Surjan
HB: 25 Domenic Cassisi 30 Troy Chaplin 7 Peter Burgoyne
C: 3 Steven Salopek 18 Kane Cornes 15 David Rodan
HF: 4 Daniel Motlop 1 Warren Tredrea (c) 16 Danyle Pearce
F: 5 Brendon Lade 39 Justin Westhoff 33 Brett Ebert
Foll: 20 Dean Brogan 35 Chad Cornes 8 Shaun Burgoyne
Int: 10 Travis Boak 23 Brad Symes 44 Tom Logan
2 Darryl Wakelin

2017 Melbourne, who didn't even make the finals, would flog that Port side.

Even the mighty Geelong had s**t trucks like Nathan Ablett and Josh Hunt, and bog-ordinary players like Harley (captain of this great team, wouldn't get a game for Richmond 2017), Wojcinski, Mooney, Stokes, Byrnes, King and Rooke.
Glorious post! A Rose in the dustbin.

Old enough to know that when everyone is complaining about how you play when you are winning, to stay with it until it no longer does.
The season prior to the finals was universally hailed as the closest of just about all time. I am not sure when its better looking brother was (the most aesthetic season of all time) let me know if you do. And if then the next stage is to complain about how one sided the finals were, check in to just about any finals series 1980 - 2000. More floggings than Christians got from Romans. I think sometimes we over estimate how good the recent past was. The tigers season and style of play may be a one hit wonder. But some of the most iconic music of all time is. And the tigers season should be noted as such. 13th to first FFS, does this not get any kudos?

Why do you keep taking this personally as a dig at the Tigers, it's got nothing to do with the Tigers mate the whole game of AFL is s**t compared to what it was. The Tigers were the best this year clearly but of a game that resembles aussie rules less and less every year. The games might have been close but the actual product is s**t now. I don't wanna see teams winning based on how much pressure and tackling they do in the forward half.

Once again I get tigers fans enjoyed it you won the ******* premiership.

Do me and yourself a favor and watch 5-10 minutes of this game and tell me this isn't 100 times more appealing than 2017 footy.
Carlton were also one of the worst sides ever and I would rather pay money to watch them back then than any 2017 AFL side

If Richmond were so shithouse, what does that make your other teams?

Oh, that's right ... every other team in the comp was better, it's just that they didn't win the premiership.

the competition is very diluted now, the days of powerhouse teams are gone, every side has a fair few spuds running around, while there was some close games thru the season the standard was poor. 18 teams is just too many to have an elite competition, 14 would be about right.
but unfortunately the dollar comes before the product
Who do you recomend we get rid of?

(No sarcasm intended, serious question. The usual less vic teams argument or?)

It started off great with everyone beating everyone. Premiership fancies would fluctuate from week to week with upsets galore and team A beating team B. Great finish to the year with many teams vying for a finals birth but by then the team fighting for the last spot didn't look worthy of being in the 8. The finals were the worst I can ever imagine apart from the Port vs Eagles game and even that was diabolical at times. The only good thing about the finals was Richmond, their story and the heartache they appeased for their fans and all the years of agony.

All in all, I think season 2017 was shithouse. Worst finals campaign I've witnessed and an appalling end to what was shaping up to be one of the best seasons ever. For example, the Saints played brilliant footy at times knocking off GWS and belting Richmond, only to fall to a heap after that. On the flip side the memories of that loss by the Tige's, their two chokes in a row vs GWS and Freo are a distant memory. Melbourne capitulated once again, and the doggies title defence if you can call it that was a sham. Adelaide Crows? Well they just lost to a far better outfit on the day and in the finals. But another team who tops the ladder, gets a lot of hype and goes out with a mighty thud. I can't believe I believed in them. I thought they were pretenders all along. And before anyone chimes in about Geelong, I'll sum up what I think about them in three words..

piss weak pussies.
Does it not seem like every year people say its been the worst year of footy ever, normally followed by a "the game was so much better 30 years ago" comment?

Unfortunatly I couldnt watch to much of the season these past few years, but I find it just as exciting as ever, even when my team is frustrating as a vegan in Bavaria.

2007 was the worst
2007 was great. The semi and preliminary final are up there in the conversation for a couple of the best games of the decade. An incredible retiring class that probably won’t be matched for a fair while. A team exhibiting pure dominance on Grand Final day.

If you take the football Richmond played in the finals as a quality of the game itself, then footy is still entertaining. Over 100pt's is entertaining football. Richmond were attacking and showed plenty of flair, Edwards, Martin, Rance, Houli, Nankervis are not dour types and all could have received the Norm Smith. The problem was with the opposition, they didn't step up. If there was a kick in it at the final siren, then we would have said how entertaining the game was. There were some low scoring arm wrestles played quite recently which were tense but not great highlight viewing.
People complain about Richmond's forwards, players like Townsend, a roll player who was there to negate and cause a bit of havoc. But what was Max Rooke in Geelong's 2009 side HF, next to Cameron Mooney. Great pressure roll players. Only the great Grand Final sides don't have these players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back