North lodges plan for massive Arden Street upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm confused. So the government is paying the nrl to play the SOO there? So, effectively, you think the afl should pay down the stadium so the state can pay other codes to play there?

Try to comprehend what I said , e.g I didn't mention Origin, its my footy club that will be largest client ($s, bums on seats), I'm not looking for that (the $s) to increase.

Go back to the start, ie, your request
Re Perth stadium, I agree sports should contribute proportionately....do you know how much the NRL is paying to rent Perth Stadium for the SOO in 2019? Maybe we could use that as a benchmark.

The Major Events people are in play, surprise, surprise ... in WA & in Vic, but you don't appear to be across this well established phenonenum :rolleyes: & you want to use it as a benchmark.

I'm confused. So the government is paying the nrl to play the SOO there? So, effectively, you think the afl should pay down the stadium so the state can pay other codes to play there?
The AFL (actually, Clubs) is subsidising other codes/events.
When NMFC, St Kilda & Footscray played at Docklands from 2000, if they attracted a crowd of less than c.22,000, they were disadvantaged. They received nothing from the gate, & had to pay the Docklands operators for playing there. When Melb. Victory played there, it was always paid a good gate fee, irrespective of the crowd.

Melb. Victory & Melb. City soccer clubs have, if they attract similar small crowds at AAMI, better financial returns than NMFC, St Kilda & Footscray would obtain at Docklands.

I understand more favourable financial arrangement also exist for other codes/events, cf AFL Clubs, at AO & PS.

The AFL is the only football code contributing to some stadia developments -all the other codes must contribute to some also (I assume cricket has made contributions to cricket stadia).

Last edited:

You do need to be moved on though, preferably interstate.

Yeah, but that's not going to happen.

Tell me, why, if you're big mighty Richmond, all the fans, just won the flag, do you care about poor lil old North?

Richmond supporters are going out of their way to put s**t on us. I just don't get it.

Is it the Dusty thing? Are you cut up about that despite you winning the flag?

I would have thought big mighty Richmond would be putting s**t on Essendon or Carlton or other "Big 4" clubs that haven't won a flag in ages.

Instead you seem to gain pleasure rubbing our noses in it.

Whatever, as I said above, you win the flag, you get to do whatever.

It is quite bizarre though.

I thought, I dunno, you would have ENJOYED it a bit more than this.

At least the Dogs fans gave it a right old shake, you could almost see them, their big wide freckly faces furrowed with glee.

You guys are just being weird.

At least the Dogs fans gave it a right old shake, you could almost see them, their big wide freckly faces furrowed with glee.

Haha, for sure. It's the strangest post-flag reaction ever. I want them to jump up and down, yell and chant, and tell us that they're the champs. Instead, they've bizarrely chosen to get angry and jealous of other teams, specifically us. An odd performance, to say the least. :huh:

Try to comprehend what I said , e.g I didn't mention Origin, its my footy club that will be largest client ($s, bums on seats), I'm not looking for that (the $s) to increase.

I swear, I am really trying...it's not easy and I'm not just saying that to be a smart arse

Go back to the start, ie, your request
Re Perth stadium, I agree sports should contribute proportionately....do you know how much the NRL is paying to rent Perth Stadium for the SOO in 2019? Maybe we could use that as a benchmark.

The Major Events people are in play, surprise, surprise ... in WA & in Vic, but you don't appear to be across this well established phenonenum :rolleyes: & you want to use it as a benchmark.

No, I'm very much across this "phenomenum". For some reason you think funneling taxpayer dollars for sporting events through some government agency is fine as long as that agency is called "major events". Meanwhile, as the other codes are being paid for the honor of playing there, the AFL should make a contribution to the principal investment

I saw the business case a while back for this stadium and IIRC the additional tourism it was supposed to attract was evenly split between AFL games and all other sports. You think it is right for those "all other sports" to actually get paid to play there (I know, I know "major events) but the AFL should have to kick in for the build?

It's correct, the Vic government's "major events" agency did doll out cash for the opening RLWC game to play in a stadium RL was never asked for a down payment for. Of course the idea this was an actual "major event" relative to half the AFL games played in Melbourne is comical.

Haha, for sure. It's the strangest post-flag reaction ever. I want them to jump up and down, yell and chant, and tell us that they're the champs. Instead, they've bizarrely chosen to get angry and jealous of other teams, specifically us. An odd performance, to say the least. :huh:

Don't worry, the footy gods will be watching and remember why they hated them for so long....things will get back to normal soon enough

Back on topic - when we get this up for 2019, it will quickly shoe how important having an AFLW team is, especially in context of a "three team club".

Hawthorn and Essendon have missed the boat here, though they will rapidly catch up in one sense when they get their own W teams.

Thing is, Essendon will be playing their games at Arden Street.

I would have thought big mighty Richmond would be putting s**t on Essendon or Carlton or other "Big 4" clubs that haven't won a flag in ages.
Unfortunately, the other Big 4 clubs are abject failures and no longer worthy.

Yeah, but that's not going to happen.

Tell me, why, if you're big mighty Richmond, all the fans, just won the flag, do you care about poor lil old North?

Richmond supporters are going out of their way to put s**t on us. I just don't get it.

Is it the Dusty thing? Are you cut up about that despite you winning the flag?

Instead you seem to gain pleasure rubbing our noses in it.

Whatever, as I said above, you win the flag, you get to do whatever.

It is quite bizarre though.

Every one keeps saying there are too many Melbourne based clubs in the competition. I'm not convinced spending money on upgrades to Arden st is the best use of resources. It is just my opinion though.

Last edited:
I swear, I am really trying...it's not easy and I'm not just saying that to be a smart arse

No, I'm very much across this "phenomenum". For some reason you think funneling taxpayer dollars for sporting events through some government agency is fine as long as that agency is called "major events". Meanwhile, as the other codes are being paid for the honor of playing there, the AFL should make a contribution to the principal investment

I saw the business case a while back for this stadium and IIRC the additional tourism it was supposed to attract was evenly split between AFL games and all other sports. You think it is right for those "all other sports" to actually get paid to play there (I know, I know "major events) but the AFL should have to kick in for the build?

It's correct, the Vic government's "major events" agency did doll out cash for the opening RLWC game to play in a stadium RL was never asked for a down payment for. Of course the idea this was an actual "major event" relative to half the AFL games played in Melbourne is comical.

You want to put words in my mouth that were not said, why is that?
Your feeble attempt at a benchmark that you, you not me, that you know is misleading is transparent. See your summary of the NRL game in Melbourne, perhaps that is the benchmark you need, though why? Surely it meets your criteria!

My bitch with the AFL & the Perth Stadium is it claimed the Stadium as one of Fitzs achievements when he stepped down & despite putting money into Geelong & belatedly into Adelaide Oval, wont put money into Perth ... very selective at best.

Last edited:
Every one keeps saying there are too many Melbourne based clubs in the competition. I'm not convinced spending money on upgrades to Arden st is the best use of resources. It is just my opinion though.

LOL, "everyone". Nobody is saying that, the evidence demonstrates that there's plenty of demand for all the Melbourne clubs.

"Everyone" said we'd be gone in three years after knocking back the GC, instead we've paid off our debt and are now expanding to meet the demand for our Women's side and VFL side.

Why not grab a beer, stick on the replay of the Grand Final and savour your success?

You want to put words in my mouth that were not said, why is that?
Your feeble attempt at a benchmark that you, you not me, that you know is misleading is transparent. See your summary of the NRL game in Melbourne, perhaps that is the benchmark you need, though why? Surely it meets your criteria!

My bitch with the AFL & the Perth Stadium is it claimed the Stadium as one of Fitzs achievements when he stepped down & despite putting money into Geelong & belatedly into Adelaide Oval, wont put money into Perth ... very selective at best.

No dude, I'm not putting words into your mouth, I'm trying hard to make sense of the words / arguments you are posting here.

Chances are the AFL has contributed to Geelong and Adelaide Oval to help make them happen. In terms of Adelaide Oval redevelopment, negotiations were at an impasse and ultimately cricket SA got a massive pay out to relinquish management rights IIRC. The WA government built Perth Stadium without resolving the WAFC's long term lease at subiaco. You want the AFL (or WAFC as the official governing body in WA?) to hand over millions of dollars for no extra benefit based on a really glue-sniffing vague idea of "fairness" when at the same time the WA government is going to pay millions each year to other codes for one off matches to play in that stadium? Remember that the new stadium through football was anticipated to be worth 10s of thousands of extra tourists each year

It's a pretty weak argument that the AFL should be paying upfront capital contributions to Perth Stadium just becuase it is the only sport that does so elsewhere in the country

Maybe they should be paying the AFL to play there too, instread of the other way round. Just so everyone is on the same terms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No dude, I'm not putting words into your mouth, I'm trying hard to make sense of the words / arguments you are posting here.

Chances are the AFL has contributed to Geelong and Adelaide Oval to help make them happen. In terms of Adelaide Oval redevelopment, negotiations were at an impasse and ultimately cricket SA got a massive pay out to relinquish management rights IIRC. The WA government built Perth Stadium without resolving the WAFC's long term lease at subiaco. You want the AFL (or WAFC as the official governing body in WA?) to hand over millions of dollars for no extra benefit based on a really glue-sniffing vague idea of "fairness" when at the same time the WA government is going to pay millions each year to other codes for one off matches to play in that stadium? Remember that the new stadium through football was anticipated to be worth 10s of thousands of extra tourists each year

It's a pretty weak argument that the AFL should be paying upfront capital contributions to Perth Stadium just becuase it is the only sport that does so elsewhere in the country

What is weak is to talk the talk (taking credit) & failing to walk the walk.

LOL, "everyone". Nobody is saying that, the evidence demonstrates that there's plenty of demand for all the Melbourne clubs.

"Everyone" said we'd be gone in three years after knocking back the GC, instead we've paid off our debt and are now expanding to meet the demand for our Women's side and VFL side.

Why not grab a beer, stick on the replay of the Grand Final and savour your success?
Righto. You seem to be of the opinion I shouldn't be posting on bigfooty because my team won the premiership. Your reasoning being I should instead have the GF on repeat with an alcoholic beverage in hand.

Let me ask you this. What is one to do during Tex Walkers speech? There's a good minute there from the brief lull in proceedings before he is called up to him walking orf tail between legs. That is when I like to post on bigfootball.

I'm not sure I like the tone of your posting. I will ignore this thread as my presence here seems to cause you angst.

Hooroo.

My understanding, as inequitable as it may seem, is that PS (similar to AO, MCG & other major Stadia) are willing to pay some "one-off" sports/events (but not the AFL) to schedule games at PS -& these other sports/events ALSO get a share of the gate receipts. Only the AFL, cf other football codes, has contributed large sums for some stadia development.

The AFL/Clubs probably benefit from similar arrangements when AFL games are played in Tas., Cairns, Darwin, Ballarat etc.

The rationale, apparently, is that it would generate a net economic return to the City/State by the large influx of tourists visiting the state/spending money etc. The business case for such generosity are often not publicly revealed -"commercial-in-confidence".

My understanding, as inequitable as it may seem, is that PS (similar to AO, MCG & other major Stadia) are willing to pay some "one-off" sports/events (but not the AFL) to schedule games at PS -& these other sports/events ALSO get a share of the gate receipts. Only the AFL, cf other football codes, has contributed large sums for some stadia development.

The AFL/Clubs probably benefit from similar arrangements when AFL games are played in Tas., Cairns, Darwin, Ballarat etc.

The rationale, apparently, is that it would generate a net economic return to the City/State by the large influx of tourists visiting the state/spending money etc. The business case for such generosity are often not publicly revealed -"commercial-in-confidence".
see the mercury today for an example

THE Hobart Hurricanes are gunning for a bigger slice of the public purse, stating the exposure they bring to Tasmania leaves the AFL for dead.
The State Government pays AFL clubs North Melbourne and Hawthorn about $5 million annually to play seven home and away games in Tasmania each year.

CT chief executive Nick Cummins said by comparison, CT receives $500,000 a year from state icon funding, but with 73 full-time staff, and up to 220 staff when players and match-day workers are included, CT pays more than this back in payroll tax — something the fly-in, fly-out clubs don’t have to pay.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...e/news-story/b46ebd9f83cb8d4c0935c9b09be59b10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back