List Mgmt. 2017 Draft - Pick 10 - Poll Added

Who would YOU pick at #10 in this years draft? (Single Choice)

• Stephenson

Votes: 34 9.8%
  • Brayshaw

Votes: 82 23.7%
  • Coffield

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Constable

Votes: 18 5.2%
  • Higgins

Votes: 31 9.0%
  • Brander

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Bonar

Votes: 32 9.2%
  • Clark

Votes: 26 7.5%
  • DFogarty

Votes: 84 24.3%
  • Hayes

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 9 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I've seen and read (not much, classic YouTube recruiter) I really would prefer Bonar over LOB. Bonar seems like he could be absolutely anything. LOB does have a glorious left peg on him, but I'm not sure if we need a purely outside player just yet.

Here's hoping by some miracle Hunter Clark slides to us at 10.

Yes, because of his mix of attributes. They are all better kicks than him, but I don't see that as a technique issue and thus something he can improve on.

If you're rating them for kicking ability, O'Brien is the standout, but I would make a strong argument for L.Fogarty after that, particularly when delivering into the F50. Richards is adventurous, but I don't think his ability to hit the ball flat is really at the same standard as the other 3.

The best thing about 6'2"+ mids that can run is that generally they don't need to weave around traffic to get the job done, they can just shrug the arm tackles and break the game open for your side. Bonar has the athletic tools to take either option, and I see that as something that will really unsettle the opposition.

We certainly don't have enough tall mids on our list to overlook him in favour of an outside-leaning type, especially given the way he can dash into open space.
Great - thanks for that
I'm really we are postering
If our doctors ticked off his injury then get him onboard ahead of those 3 you've listed; but, only if clark & coffield are taken :)

Cripps, Kennedy, Cuningham, SPS, Fisher and Lang are all inside mids. We have virtually zero young developing outside mids on our list unless Pickett and Williamson eventually become mids. Hence, I can see why we are keen on O’Brien.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think i read even Dow has a contested possession rate of around 60% and does most of his good work around stoppages.

Though Dow, Cuninghan, SPS, Fisher & Lang could be described as inside mids I think all of them are also somewhat 'outside' as well due to their speed...i'd say they are more balanced inside/outside mids but more weighted to inside. Kennedy & Crippa on the other hand have basically no outside game.

We definitely do need a more 'outside' weighted players though to really break the lines ala Isaac Smith/Brad Hill so will be very happy for a O'Brien type at 10.

Cripps, Kennedy, Cuningham, SPS, Fisher and Lang are all inside mids.
No, the last four are all outside-leaning mids at AFL level.

Cuningham's strength is his speed, agility and execution and you want to play him predominantly inside once Curnow is gone?

SPS's strength is his sidestep and quick decision making in traffic, and you want to leave him exposed to getting knocked around if Cripps is resting forward?

Fisher is tiny and may never play midfield full time and you want him to step into the stoppages consistently?

Lang's strength is his running power but he'll never be able to break tackles with his upper body and you want to deploy him consistently in the stoppage?

Those four are an outer rotation from the stoppage, to the wing, to a flank as needed, they are not the guys who are coming out with the footy consistently save for Cuningham, and you don't want him in there full time in order to be able to use him fully.

When a 6'3" mid that can run, break tackles and dispose the ball flat and well falls into your lap you take them and build the system around them.

Cuningham's strength is his speed, agility and execution and you want to play him predominantly inside once Curnow is gone?

SPS's strength is his sidestep and quick decision making in traffic, and you want to leave him exposed to getting knocked around if Cripps is resting forward?

Fisher is tiny and may never play midfield full time and you want him to step into the stoppages consistently?

Lang's strength is his running power but he'll never be able to break tackles with his upper body and you want to deploy him consistently in the stoppage?

Those four are an outer rotation from the stoppage, to the wing, to a flank as needed, they are not the guys who are coming out with the footy consistently save for Cuningham, and you don't want him in there full time in order to be able to use him fully.

When a 6'3" mid that can run, break tackles and dispose the ball flat and well falls into your lap you take them and build the system around them.

I like Bonar's potential like you do Jimmae. He has Goodes like upside, although that is far far from guarantedd as we both know. I definately see the argument for taking Bonar at 10. He is intriguing.

I also see the benefit in taking LOB or Clark and to a slightly lesser extent, Richards or Coffield.

I am happy with Bonar, LOB or Clark at 10. Slightly less happy, but still ok with Richards or Coffield.

Have given up hope on D.Fog.

I will concede they are more balanced mids than inside mids but Cuningham, SPS and Fisher in particular win a significant portion of their possessions in contested situations and I don’t see any of them being able to play that outside line breaking type role. We need to recruit a dedicated wingman, whether with pick 10 or 30, as we too often rely on Murphy and Simpson to play that gut-running outside role.

By the way, I wasn’t advocating selecting O’Brien at 10, I was just understanding the logic behind it. I would be just as happy if we selected Bonar at 10 who I assume you’re talking about as the 6’3” mid.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like we're not into Bonar BECAUSE he's not that type of player. Also hasn't been any mention of Higgins who has consistently been touted around pick 10 but is seen as a small forward at AFL level.

In fact before mail came through we were interested in Richards and O'Brien at 10 most phantoms had them in the mid-to-late teens.

Higgins for mine. Crying out for goalkickers and he could be one more piece to the puzzel.

Pickett has shown only glimpses, and wright (28) isnt getting any younger.

Dow and LOB look like they're best mates. Would be a nice story, especially after LOB spent his AIS time with us.

Brent Daniels is very close with Dow too, could be a Vic C trio! Daniels at 30 is a bit of a reach though IMO
Callum Twomey has Daniels going at Puck 24 so it doesn’t seem much of a stretch.
Dow, O’Brien & Daniels would be perfect fits for Carlton’s I think. They all provide something very different to the team. in and under stuff & clearances with Dow, a crafty small forward in Daniels & a very neat ball user off half back/wing in O’Brien.

If I were a Carlton fan than I’d be happy walking away with those 3 players in the first 3 picks

Clark would be my #1 preference at 10 but sadly that ship appears to have sailed.

So on that basis a bit of pettiness is called for:

if it’s true that picking Richards will give Collingwood the shits then that’s good enough for me - all things being equal.

Maybe I don't have the same confidence in some of the names you have listed.
I'm not big on outside runners in general. They always get caught out in finals. You must be able to win your own footy. O'Brien may develop that. Thats a gamble I personally wouldn't take at 10.
O'Briens contested numbers are not as bad as made out he averaged 9 per game. We can't all have contested midfielders/ bulls, It's about balancing your midfield. O'Brien is a more outside player with elite kicking and endurance machine. Exactly the type of player we need. Look at his 2016 all stars game as a bottom ager.

Last edited:
Seems more like we don't rate Bonar, and are left raffling from the same type of player in O'Brien, Richards and L.Fogarty.
Bonar is an player who has had two knee reconstructions and does not have enough runs on the board to be considered in top 20. Jury is out about what his best position will be.

Think I'm leaning towards Bonar if no one slides through (D.Fog/Clark/Coffield ect.). His mix of strength on the inside and speed on the outside is unique.

Another inside mid with a point of difference to what we have. He and Dow would he a nice addition, then we look for some forwards.

Back