Player Watch #9: Charlie Spargo

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, really stoked with this pick. He was rated as a top 5 or even number 1 pick this time last year IIRC? Welcome Charlie. Again I reckon Charlie should see some senior action alongside Fritsch. Maybe Baker depending on VFL form.

Good highlights package. Can kick by the looks of it. Excellent choice. Future hall of famer to my eye.

Future Norm Smith, Brownlow Medalist, Premiership Captain, MOTY winner for mine.

I like the fact that we've learnt how to draft players who look like natural footballers, rather than drafting players according to hypothetical metrics like vertical leaps and whatnot. Based on my expert analysis of that 2 minute video, this kid doesn't seem to have any standout attributes (pace, skill, height, leap etc.) but you can just tell he has a good understanding for the game. I know all draftees look good on these highlights packages, but this kid seems like a no-bullshit footballer where we don't have to worry about "development" or "potential".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very impressive highlights. Anyone else get a feeling of Viney? Probably just because he's short and nuggety, but the way he hunts the ball. Charlie looks like he has some outside to his game though.

My impression was he's short, clean / good mitts, no left foot, seems a smart footballer and quick decision maker but his disposal is a bit iffy. Odd that they'd include a floater of a kick back into the corridor in his "highlights" package. Also took three marks inside 50 from around 35 to 40 out but no follow up shots at goal on any of them, so either unselfish or not much of a set shot for goal.

In the SEN Inside Football Draft Special, with a top score of 5, he rated as follows:

Kicking 3.5
Marking 3.5
Accumulating 4
Contested Ball 3.5
Speeds 4
Agility 4.5
Endurance 4.5
Draft Range: Second Round

Fun Fact: 4th Generation VFL/AFL player. His Great-Grandfather Bob Spargo Sr. actually played 2 games for us in 1942.

His father Paul wore No. 31 for North Melbourne so that would be reason enough to resurrect it.

Least impressive ‘highlights’ video of all time! Must have something for JT yo call him out first but that highlights reel does him no favours at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back