Player Watch #46: Ben Miller

Remove this Banner Ad

posted this on the draft thread

seriously, this fella has some weapons for 196cm

WHAT THE SCOUT SAYS:
For a player of 196 centimetres, Miller is explosive, agile, clean and consistent , traits that make him such a tantalising prospect. At the AFL National Combine, he came first in the Goalkicking test and the Agility test while also coming third in the 20-metre sprint. Miller has been playing senior football since the age of 15 in Kalgoorlie, hence he is ready to match it with the ruckmen in the AFL from round one.

http://footyprophet.com/afl-draft-profile-ben-miller/

ABOUT

The budding Kalgoorlie star is one of the most explosive key position prospects in this year’s AFL Draft.

He started playing senior football at the age of 15 for his Kalgoorlie team, Railways FC – a club that has produced many outstanding football players, including Dean Kemp, Steve Marsh and Jim Gosnell.

He first came across recruiters’ minds when he was selected in the WA State U16s Academy in 2015. He further enhanced his reputation when he made his debut for the Subiaco Colts in round one of the 2016 season, against Peel Thunder, when he won a game-high 19 possessions. He played a further three games for the Lions and averaged 18 hit-outs, including a dominant 36-hitout performance against East Perth in round 11.

But 2017 was when he left his mark on recruiters’ minds. By the first six rounds of the competition, Miller was sitting fourth in the WAFL Colts Coaches Award after dominant outings against Perth in round 2 (16 possessions, 30 hit-outs, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 2 inside 50s and a goal), West Perth in round 3 (11 possessions, 29 hit-outs, 2 tackles, 2 inside 50s and a goal), and Claremont in round 6 (17 possessions, 17 hit-outs, 4 marks, 3 inside 50s, 2 tackles and 2 goals).

Because of his sublime performances, he was selected in the WA U18s State Academy and he did not disappoint. In the four games, he won the most hit-outs for WA (72), laid the fourth most tackles (16), won the fifth most clearances (8), ranked seventh for contested possessions (22), and was in the top twelve for total possessions (42).

His best game came against Vic Metro in round two, when he accumulated 15 possessions (seven contested), won a game-high 28 hit-outs, laid five tackles, won three clearances and kicked a goal. His direct opponents Tristan Xerri and Sam Hayes could only register 26 possessions, 25 hit-outs and a goal between them, such was their inability to negate Miller’s influence.

He also produced solid outings against the Allies (11 possessions – eight contested – 12 hit-outs, five tackles, four inside 50s, three marks, and three clearances), and Vic Country (12 possessions, 18 hit-outs, four tackles, three marks and two clearances).

In his comeback game for the Subiaco Colts in Naidoc Round, he was clearly best afield against Perth with 18 possessions, 44 hit-outs, seven marks, three inside 50s, two tackles and a goal.

He only played another two games for the Lions, against Swan Districts in round 20 (13 possessions and five marks – playing as a key defender) and East Perth in round 23 (16 possessions, 20 hit-outs, two marks, two inside 50s and a goal), as he had to juggle his school commitments back home in Kalgoorlie.

For our interview with Ben, click here.

WHY PICK HIM?
For a player of 196 centimetres, Miller is explosive, agile, clean and consistent – traits that make him such a tantalising prospect.

At the AFL National Combine, he came first in the Goalkicking test (30/30), the Agility test (8.10 seconds), and came third in the 20-metre sprint (2.91 seconds).

At this year’s AFL National U18 Championships, Miller recorded 72 hit-outs, the third most by any ruckman in the competition, just behind Allies’ Brayden Crossley (83 hit-outs), and South Australia’s Callum Coleman-Jones (78). While he only played nine games in the WAFL Colts, he recorded the ninth most hit-outs (192 at an average of 21 per game), largely due to his imposing nature.

Miller has also been playing senior football since the age of 15 for his Kalgoorlie team, Railways FC, hence he is ready to match it with the ruckmen in the AFL from round one.

THE QUESTION MARKS?
His big question mark is his size. He only stands at 196 centimetres, while most true ruckmen at AFL level are over 200cm. To combat this, Miller has some awesome athletic traits. He has also demonstrated his versatility by playing as a key forward, and as a key defender for Subiaco throughout 2017.

THE WRAP
For any clubs looking out for a key position prospect, and it would be hard to imagine any clubs that aren’t Miller is well worth looking at.

Because he has been playing senior football since the age of 15, Miller could slot into a club’s best 22 after a strong pre-season such is his maturity, ability and determination.

For his size, he boasts explosive athleticism and beautiful skills, making him a tantalising prospect at this year’s Draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome to Tigerland Ben.

So A grade prospect that is 3-4 cm too small for an AFL ruck. Could grow and has the ability to play KP. Plus a mobile, midfielder type shorter ruck could do fine I reckon in the modern game. Bit of a gamble. But one that looks like a damn solid bet. Bit of development needed. But he has the body, athleticism, skills and attitude to succeed. Like this draft.

That highlights reel is downright exciting. He plays like a midfielder in a ruckmans body! He is the prototype of the modern tall really the way he not only takes a grab and can tap the ball down but also be takes off with ball in hand and even looks to get the handball receive back! I love his ground ball work and how he keeps hunting for the ball once the ball is in congestion.

Really excited by this kid. Looks to have so many tricks up his sleeve and his combine results have me amazed that we were able to take him so late.

Last edited:
Just watching those highlights again..
I haven't seen a pair of hands like that since Monica Bellucci.
..Alright I'm getting too drunk and esoteric.

Well done tiggys. We've killed the last two drafts. Serious competition for spots coming up.

Just watching those highlights again..
I haven't seen a pair of hands like that since Monica Bellucci.
..Alright I'm getting too drunk and esoteric.

Well done tiggys. We've killed the last two drafts. Serious competition for spots coming up.
I love MB props for bizarrely bringing her into the conversation , my retinas are better for it

I love MB props for bizarrely bringing her into the conversation , my retinas are better for it
Likewise, liquid gold.

/////

I think we're seeing a direction where some of the later draft picks are just as good as the early picks (even more often) with so many recruiters relying on teenage/high school refined stats as opposed to left of field thinking.

Likewise, liquid gold.
/////
My college sold MBs for .15c back in the day. I still fall asleep with a sad, wistful, smile thinking about that. Good times.
Anyway. This kid has obviously been conditioned to pass it off to more skilled kicks. Don't know how he'd look if he backed himself more often.. hopefully will get some more insight about him over the christmas period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back