Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McCartin.jpg

Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:
AFL.com.au article on Tom

PLAYER BIO
Former club: Geelong Falcons
Height: 193cm
Weight: 84kg
Position: Forward
2017 U18 STATS
Games: 3
Goals: -
Avg Kicks: 2.3
Avg Marks: 3.3
Avg Hballs: 4

Strong-marking and mobile tall forward who missed his bottom-aged year because of injury. Has been promising for the Geelong Falcons in the TAC Cup, also having a taste of the NAB AFL U18 Championships, playing three matches for Vic Country. Brother to Paddy at St Kilda. Showed his impressive athletic traits at the Combine when he recorded an 88cm running vertical jump and finished highly in the Yo-Yo test as well (level 21.5).

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
20171124_mccartin_p.png

Tom McCartin

Club: Geelong Falcons
Height: 193cm
Weight: 84kg
Position: Forward

Strong-marking and mobile tall forward who missed his bottom-aged year because of injury. Has been promising for the Geelong Falcons in the TAC Cup, also having a taste of the NAB AFL U18 Championships, playing three matches for Vic Country. Brother to Paddy at St Kilda. Showed his impressive athletic traits at the Combine when he recorded an 88cm running vertical jump and finished highly in the Yo-Yo test as well (level 21.5).

Read all about them

“We didn’t know what we had with Tom at the start of the year because he hadn’t really shown anyone, including himself, what he could do, but he’s a player. Probably similar to his older brother Paddy but is more of an athlete. Gets up the ground, has super hands, is courageous in the air and is a good size. A super athlete.”
Geelong Falcons coach Dan O’Keefe.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-11-24/pick-33-tom-mccartin

His highlights look pretty good and another big plus is that he is still 5 weeks away from being 18, so he is probably the youngest player drafted this year. It also means he will likely grow another few centimetres in the next year or so making him the perfect size for a key forward.

Won't see him play many games in 2018, but it would be good to get him down to training as much as possible and have him working with Plugger and Buddy.

Inspired choice, was happy to hear his named called by us. Very young KPF who played without the benefit of having a development year last year. Will stay at home and complete year 12?

This is a pick for the future, plenty of time for Tom to develop as we already have KPF covered so no pressure. Will obviously end up much bigger than he currently is as a 17yo.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm excited we got Tom. Looks a very good project forward. Love that he is more athletic than his brother. Hopefully Plugga and Buddy can teach him a few tricks and he ends up being the better of the two ;)

I just hope he doesn't have the same issues as his brother. I have always felt for Paddy as his career is not looking good and not because of anything he has done but because he seems to get knocked out easily and often.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
I just hope he doesn't have the same issues as his brother. I have always felt for Paddy as his career is not looking good and not because of anything he has done but because he seems to get knocked out easily and often.

Well let's hope that isn't the case for Tom.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Football stats are low; 9 goals from 13 TAC Cup games and only an average of 2 kicks per game in his 3 U18 Championship games.

Does seem to mark the ball at its highest point, reasonable athletic traits and a late birthday (which Beatson has previously mentioned he likes).

(cliche) time will tell, but it would be interesting to know what particularly appealed to our recruiters given his low output.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez can we not start the writing off business? Fair dinkum talk about who we didn’t get, but anyone who we DID get deserves our full excitement. They’re three new members of a club that could potentially have some exciting times around the corner. I don’t mind us getting a smokie type, always gives them a chance to come from nowhere and impress.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
According to Beatson the back and hip issues he had were viral, not structural, and he looks to have fully overcome them. Given his age he sounds like the classic 'project player'.

Neverwas

All Australian
Aug 15, 2009
Korweinguboora
AFL Club
Sydney
Football stats are low; 9 goals from 13 TAC Cup games and only an average of 2 kicks per game in his 3 U18 Championship games.

Does seem to mark the ball at its highest point, reasonable athletic traits and a late birthday (which Beatson has previously mentioned he likes).

(cliche) time will tell, but it would be interesting to know what particularly appealed to our recruiters given his low output.
KB saw lots of improvement over the year and potential for lots more. Could be an inspired pick when you look at his attributes.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
I like that we picked a fwd. Welcome Tom.

I hope we bring his game on successfully. Could be awhile until he plays I'm guessing.

Long term play.

Do not think we will see much of him for 2-3 years as ge develops with Plugger.
How bloody good is that for the kid though?

Swans supporter. Getting coached at the Swans. By Plugger. Playing alongside Buddy. Holy crap... Pretty sure that is exactly what dreams are made of.

A bit peeved you guys selected him just one pick before our turn :mad:
Be patient with this kid - bottom aged talls do take time but I think you have a real good one in Tom

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Geez can we not start the writing off business? Fair dinkum talk about who we didn’t get, but anyone who we DID get deserves our full excitement. They’re three new members of a club that could potentially have some exciting times around the corner. I don’t mind us getting a smokie type, always gives them a chance to come from nowhere and impress.

Careful now.
That sort of stuff can be frowned upon here.
Be miserable about it & you'll get along fine.;)

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
How bloody good is that for the kid though?

Swans supporter. Getting coached at the Swans. By Plugger. Playing alongside Buddy. Holy crap... Pretty sure that is exactly what dreams are made of.

It is really good.

Havent seen much of him. And is a bit of a bolter. Most reporta say that he is fairly athletic. Maybe the coaching staff hope he can play the roaming chf role and put buddy at ff when tippett is done?

Makes sense for forward planning. Also gives him ample time to develop.

According to Beatson the back and hip issues he had were viral, not structural, and he looks to have fully overcome them. Given his age he sounds like the classic 'project player'.
He has a unique opportunity: to become the only player in the entire AFL to be drafted as a <199cm key forward at below pick 14 and average 2+ goals per game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back