Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Jackson Ross, Pick #71 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Hawthorn, Jackson.

Smart, quick, tall.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...t/news-story/dd74ac940d6aafedea56c0f8e460da9d
HE was one of Australia’s top tennis prospects but Jackson Ross is looming as a potential selection in this year’s AFL national draft.

Ross was a former Australian top-10 tennis junior but now has his sights set on making it onto an AFL list after returning to football less than two years ago.

The 17-year-old played junior football with South Belgrave until under-11s before his tennis career took off.

He had aspirations of being world No. 1, winning a Grand Slam and his favourite player was Novak Djokovic.

In hindsight he said those lofty ambitions were “a bit extreme”.

Last edited:

Was really hoping we would pick up this guy but didn't expect it would be this late.
I saw somewhere that he can play across the wing......the thought of a tall running wingman excites me.
Upgrade on Willsmore
We shall call him Willsmost!

Champion Data say he is 192cm, but earns numbers like a small.

Ranks elite in Contested Possessions, Disposals, Goals, Assists and Score involvements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty to work with here. Clearly a long term project at 75kgs.

Jackson ROSS
(info from AFL draft central)
Outside Midfielder/Medium Forward (Haileybury College/Eastern Ranges)
22/06/1999 (18yrs, 5months) | 192.5cm | 74.5kg
Scouting notes: Booted 29 goals playing as a centre half forward and on the wing for Haileybury College in the APS school competition. Comes from an elite tennis background and is still quite raw in football terms. Has a long kick and is able to use it on either side of his body. Very athletic and is a player with plenty of development left.
Strengths: Upside, mobility/versatile, kicking, scoreboard impact
Improvements: Consistency, tackling, reading the game
Combine test results: 20m Sprint (secs) 3.09 | Agility (secs) 8.46 | Yo-Yo Test (level) 20.8

Last edited:
I remember hearing about him through the grape vine in regards to his tennis career. Was always spoken of as being extremely agile for such a tall kid

Stats seem to show that he has translated that athletic ability to football

Looking forward to seeing him grow and develop; the perfect apprentice for Rough or Gunston

not so excited by this pick, he seems like a tall rangey runner that can kick goals on smaller opponents, i guess we'll see what he produces at Box Hill... at 75kgs another project player

Last edited:
I’m most exited about this pick. Super raw but has gun written all over him.
The last junior top 10 tennis player that chose to play footy instead of tennis turned out ok too (Sloane)
The f/s one we had stuck to tennis, and did all right too. Collected plenty of cash playing the game.

Ironic that Vickery retires to follow his tennis playing missus on tour and then we pick up this guy especially after last year with the whole Mitchell/Lewis thing.

What will be the ironic thing next year I wonder.
O’Rourke will retire and we will draft Ham String?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back