2017 National Draft - 24th November 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Just seems an odd strategy that the key focus for both the list manager and recruiter is to bring in 2 key backs.

The stuff with McCartney and dalrymple not getting on is legitimate
Given there were times last year we only had 2 key backs out there with less than 40 gamed in total I would say this is an area we needed to bolster

Given there were times last year we only had 2 key backs out there with less than 40 gamed in total I would say this is an area we needed to bolster
Mate fair call
I haven’t seen Naughton play live so probably shouldn’t comment and I do trust Dalrymple. I’m not a Roberts fan and who knows with Collins. The sooner we can get Cordy playing on the 2nd 3rd forwards the better and someone has mentioned that Trengove may be trained forward.

Interesting times ahead

Mate fair call
I haven’t seen Naughton play live so probably shouldn’t comment and I do trust Dalrymple. I’m not a Roberts fan and who knows with Collins. The sooner we can get Cordy playing on the 2nd 3rd forwards the better and someone has mentioned that Trengove may be trained forward.

Interesting times ahead
Agree entirely with Roberts, Collins and Cordy which is why I get why we recruited as we have.

How it evolves will be interesting indeed

Mate fair call

Interesting times ahead
Don't see Trengove working out as a forward. I think Port tried that without much success.

Is Crameri an option for the rookie draft? Instead of bringing in a guy with maybe a 20% chance of playing a game, I think we could do a lot worse than bringing him back for one more chance.

Don't see Trengove working out as a forward. I think Port tried that without much success.

Trengrove was very good at CHB and we were chasing him - the move to Ruck and forward was a curse for him but what the team wanted. Can he get back to his previous ability we win (didn’t work with Cloke but more likely here). There are other good KPDs at Port but they are not stars so fair enough to worry - chances are always that if you don’t work out at one club You won’t magically get better at another but I have confidence in the team to make this one work.

Going forward is more likely Young. Has traits (particularly marking and agility) and with some extra kegs we might have out next Chris Grant — there’s optimism!

Trengrove was very good at CHB and we were chasing him - the move to Ruck and forward was a curse for him but what the team wanted. Can he get back to his previous ability we win (didn’t work with Cloke but more likely here). There are other good KPDs at Port but they are not stars so fair enough to worry - chances are always that if you don’t work out at one club You won’t magically get better at another but I have confidence in the team to make this one work.

Going forward is more likely Young. Has traits (particularly marking and agility) and with some extra kegs we might have out next Chris Grant — there’s optimism!

Port seemed like they decided to push him out as soon as they shifted him to the forward line despite him being better than the player that replaced him in defense. The joke was on them when they didn't bring him in for the final but I suspect that they figured he was as good as gone by about round 20.

Dude just give it a ******* break for once **** me dead

Absolutely! MD just blocked.

Though you occasionally have thoughts of merit, your constant poor me attitude is utterly ******* painful. Forget footy and get yourself another hobby. We won the flag last year! How ******* great was that?! Some faith please in the same people that won us the flag.

Absolutely! MD just blocked.

Though you occasionally have thoughts of merit, your constant poor me attitude is utterly ******* painful. Forget footy and get yourself another hobby. We won the flag last year! How ******* great was that?! Some faith please in the same people that won us the flag.

Yeah let’s settle for last year and live on that for 60 years again

Let’s not question what many others ALSO think is strange but somehow people pinpoint me as the only one that has said they disagree with what we have done this off season.

Let’s sit on our hands and not mention the disgraceful coaching last year and the fact the club has not changed a single thing to fix that.

Nope let’s just piss rainbows and lollypops and hope our safe words will make things better.

Yep that will fix things and we have 2016 who gives a s**t now right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol you do provide a laugh with your extreme passion.

There is a major difference between a balanced list profile and the perceived ability of some of those on it.

Any list now should have 4 to 5 KPB and 4 to 5 KPF's. Our list now does. In that mix you have those already there, those to develop and those to back up. We have more developing than at the level at the moment but that is a reflection of never developing a good list profle in the past.

Players such as Roberts, Red and Trengrove are backups for form or injury as our developing KPP's Develop. For the first time in memory we have depth in the area we just need to develop the depth whilst having a few backups whilst that development occurs

In the Ruck clearly English is the developer whilst Roughy is number 1. Others are there to give a ruck a break but with limited interchange the main ruck is now expected to ruck 70 to 80 percent of the time. Roughy is still developing in this area as rucks hit their peak in the late 20's so I do disagree with your assessment there.

Jong, Honeychurch etc are role players. There are 40 on the list and whilst I agree these 2 and others you mention in my opinion are not best 22, they can do their role if necessary. No clubs 30 to 40 are others clubs best 22 so why would ours be.

We do not have 4 full backs. Cordy, Young and Adams can all develop as swingmen.

Mate Trengrove isn’t depth he is easy best 22. The over rating of some of our players already on the list is laughable at times. He walks into our team.

Hawthorn Football Club continues their success by drafting and tradin players THEY NEEDED not this best available bullshit we carry on with.

We needed goal kickers AND speed above all else. There was goal kickers and speed available at pick 10 and we took another KPB immediately after we just bought in Trengrove and resigned Adams. Have Cordy Young Collins and Roberts to full that hole.

You can twist words or logic all you want mate but that in my eyes is f!ckibg stupid when our forwar line now hinges on two kids that are depressed apparently.

I understand your thinking I simply disagree with it strongly

And honey and Jong aren’t role players they are utter utter sh!t truck list cloggers

Is Crameri an option for the rookie draft? Instead of bringing in a guy with maybe a 20% chance of playing a game, I think we could do a lot worse than bringing him back for one more chance.
Not a hope sadly. Could have kept him for a year already on peanuts and still didn’t keep him. Obviously annoyed someone higher up.

No disrespect to Porter mate I know zero about him but the lay pick is always a dart throw.

The first two low picks should have been used for dire needs imo not more depth in a position we arnt too bad in.

Footy is changing to a high pressure, fast movement game and we are going tall????

I really have no idea what the club has been thinking since October 16 but most of what we have done hasn’t worked.

No disrespect to Porter mate I know zero about him but the lay pick is always a dart throw.

The first two low picks should have been used for dire needs imo not more depth in a position we arnt too bad in.

Footy is changing to a high pressure, fast movement game and we are going tall????

I really have no idea what the club has been thinking since October 16 but most of what we have done hasn’t worked.

I’m going to generally skip over your fifth annual summer edition of “this club’s stuffed and and I’m the only one who can see it” whingefap and just point out that footy has indeed changed and having KPDs that are great overhead & body on body and don’t sacrifice speed & agility is a huge advantage.

There’s a reason Melbourne mortgaged their draft and cap future recruiting Jake Lever when they already had enough KPD depth to play Tom McDonald forward.

If you can’t see why Naughton’s ceiling in the modern game is higher than the players picked after him, you’re simply out of touch with where AFL footy is at/headed.

Who would you have drafted at 9 & 16 instead? It’s easy to complain, but if you fancy yourself an expert put your balls on the line so we can look back on this in a year or two... who would you have picked?..

Initially surprised and a little unsure about last night however now feeling quite exited about our next generation back six. West will be drafted next year and I guess the club will draft and recruit further inside/outside mid depth next year as well.
Our current mids list is still very strong .I am optismistic that Tom L will be back his best in the year ahead . Forward line is a little questionable but rewind to our Grand Final wining forward half players and honestly I would say that line up was not that strong. we snagged a GF and we will again in this current Bevo era.

My take:
Naughton- big mistake, already have depth here and also I did not view him as the best available player. Just wont cut it in my opinion and is a long way down a pecking order of a lot of young tall backs. For those who will respond 'well then who would you have picked instead', my simple response would be any of Higgins, Bailey, Ling or Allen would do the trick.
Richards- very happy, Dal liked him and I like him. Great selction
Porter- dont know much about him but didnt know much about any of the later selections either. Feel like he is a bit of a Fergus Greene type pick and picked on raw talent. Lets hope he can develop into something special, or even special-ish will do. Maybe would have preffered us to select Adam Sambono to fill a need and to add some pace/class to our list

His kicking motion is utterly horrendous and quite possibly the worst I've seen
Based only on a small bit of footage I’ve seen, I think you are being incredibly harsh here. His action looks better than at least 3 of our current players (Cordy, Smith and Dunkley) and probably better than Roughead, Dahl and Morris as well.

Now that’s not to say he will be better kick because action isn’t everything (e.g Cordy hardly misses a target), but I don’t think his motion is as bad as you have made out here

People that respond to users that have told them they are on ignore 1000 times are doing nothing other than deliberately derailing the thread with continued dribble.

How are they not banned for this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back