Gym & Misc Member Profiles - Post yours!

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't that make it the dominant leg then? That's where your kicking distance comes from and it would be the leg you jump off as well

Should of said preferred foot/leg not dominate

Yeah I just had a look at a Howe highlights package and the majority of his screamers were launching from his left, which surprised me.

I wonder if ruckmen would be the same, since they have the opportunity to preset themselves in a more predictable environment.

I'm probably not a great example actually, because I carried a knee injury on my left for quite a few years so probably became pretty right dominant for most things.

Natanui and Ryder definitely jump off their left, I’d hazard a guess the rest are the same (unless they’re left footed) but could be swayed otherwise with sufficient evidence

Natanui and Ryder definitely jump off their left, I’d hazard a guess the rest are the same (unless they’re left footed) but could be swayed otherwise with sufficient evidence

Now that I think about it, when I'm doing sprints I always start with my left leg forward (natural right footer) and find it awkward when consciously trying to take off with my right leg forward

Now that I think about it, when I'm doing sprints I always start with my left leg forward (natural right footer) and find it awkward when consciously trying to take off with my right leg forward

If you throw a ball as a right hander you also use your left foot as the base of support.

I'm a right hander for throwing, hand balling and tennis but bat left handed

I'm then a left footer and jump off my right but I used to jump off my left until my heel start t hurt in my teens and I changed it at some point

So at basketball i shoot right handed but lay up left handed

I'm not aware of any ruckman who jump off their right foot/tap left hand but it would make center bounces interesting because of jumping 'besides" each other it would be more of a crash into each other with a lot of knee on knee contact

Makes sense now I think about it, because it's instinctive to put your 'dominant' leg up to protect yourself.

I do that too, but that's because I get most of my drive taking off from my back leg.

Makes sense now I think about it, because it's instinctive to put your 'dominant' leg up to protect yourself.

In an AFL context alone that might make sense, but doesn't really account for all the high jumpers, longer jumpers etc that jump off their left leg

I'm a right hander for throwing, hand balling and tennis but bat left handed

I'm then a left footer and jump off my right but I used to jump off my left until my heel start t hurt in my teens and I changed it at some point

So at basketball i shoot right handed but lay up left handed

I'm not aware of any ruckman who jump off their right foot/tap left hand but it would make center bounces interesting because of jumping 'besides" each other it would be more of a crash into each other with a lot of knee on knee contact

I found photos pretty easy of Mark Jamar and Spider Everitt leading with their left knees (incidentally both "left footers").
No idea if either (or both) of them had greater knee damage sustained throughout their careers though.

You mustn't be very fast then, at least initially

Drive from the front leg as hard as you can...driving from the back will give you next to nothing as far as horizontal displacement is concerned

Yeah I'm probably not. :$

I still have some issues with that left knee I was talking about, so I've probably developed a lot of dodgy biomechanical compensations.

So I've used this week as a bit of test week;

2km time trial 7:58
Barbell shoulder press; 70kg
Squat; 140kg
Deadlift; 170kg
Barbell row; 110kg
Bench press;115kg

Current body weight 84.5kg

Pre season in full swing so cardio will increase. Weight training is 6 days a week one muscle group each day. 16-24 sets depending on which muscle and in the 8-12 rep range.

Squat; 140kg
Deadlift; 170kg
Barbell row; 110kg
Bench press;115kg

Pre season in full swing so cardio will increase. Weight training is 6 days a week one muscle group each day. 16-24 sets depending on which muscle and in the 8-12 rep range.

How are you doing your barbell rows?
I never really go over 60kg as I feel like I need to cheat and also that my spine is about to blow up (the latter being rather inexplicable as I’ve done good mornings with 150-160kg before)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are you doing your barbell rows?
I never really go over 60kg as I feel like I need to cheat and also that my spine is about to blow up (the latter being rather inexplicable as I’ve done good mornings with 150-160kg before)

My back would be 45 degrees with bent knees.....at the weight there's a bit of shrug to so you can feel the traps coming in. But when I'm doing BB rows for reps, lighter weight with an over hand grip and definitely with less trap involvement

Squat; 140kg
Deadlift; 170kg
Barbell row; 110kg
Bench press;115kg

very impressive man, you've got me on all of the above except deads and rows

2km time trial 9:00
Barbell shoulder press; 62.5kg
Squat; 130kg
Deadlift; 210kg
Barbell row; 120kg
Bench press;110kg

Current body weight 82.8kg

Squat; 130kg
Deadlift; 210kg
Barbell row; 120kg
Bench press;110kg

You've got me on the bodyweight haha

I didn't really deadlift much through footy season, I trained in the mornings and just didn't have the time to do both squats and deadlifts. Looking to build that up over the summer break.

Two main goals really get down to 82-83kg and get my 2km down around 7:20

Squat; 130kg
Deadlift; 210kg
Barbell row; 120kg
Bench press;110kg

Have you had a knee injury or something like that?
That’s a huge discrepancy between squat and deadlift, even if you’re squatting high bar atg

Have you had a knee injury or something like that?
That’s a huge discrepancy between squat and deadlift, even if you’re squatting high bar atg
No knee injury just stagnated at 120kg squat for the past 3 years while by Deadlift went from 140kg to 210kg in the same time frame.

I've got pretty long femurs which causes my body to fold over in a traditional high bar squat. Recently widened my stance a bit and moved to low bar which should give me a better biomechanics for increasing my squat numbers.

Watching these videos recently really struck a chord.

No knee injury just stagnated at 120kg squat for the past 3 years while by Deadlift went from 140kg to 210kg in the same time frame.

I've got pretty long femurs which causes my body to fold over in a traditional high bar squat. Recently widened my stance a bit and moved to low bar which should give me a better biomechanics for increasing my squat numbers.

Watching these videos recently really struck a chord.

Fair enough.
Might be worth really focusing on your squat until it’s in the 170-180kg range.
If you’ve got a reasonable build for deadlifting it should rise with your squat even without training it up to a certain point, particularly if you’ve done nothing with a wider stance before as your hip strength is likely to go through the roof with the switch to a wider squat stance.

Fair enough.
Might be worth really focusing on your squat until it’s in the 170-180kg range.
If you’ve got a reasonable build for deadlifting it should rise with your squat even without training it up to a certain point, particularly if you’ve done nothing with a wider stance before as your hip strength is likely to go through the roof with the switch to a wider squat stance.
Started a linear progression program a couple of weeks ago which I'm confident will start paying dividends.

Day 1: 112.5kg 3x5 (90% 1RM) and 62.5kg 10x5 (50%)
Day 2: 75kg 9x3 (60%)
Day 3: 87.5kg 6x4 (70%)

Definitely think I need to put deadlifts on the back burner till I get my squat numbers up.

Looking at my last belfie I think I’ve lost a bit of fat around my back/waist. Also trust my calves to still be the most developed part of my lower body :'(.

I also trained in a sports bra for squats for the first time in Thursday and no one gave two shits. It was excellent, I moved up weights!

Also a bit of a lol story - the mate I’ve whinged about (the ‘love yourself one’) has started sending me belfies because I have, and her butt is literally all fat - she doesn’t do any exercise (except cardio, yet she says I’m being mean when I tell her cardio will do nothing for her butt).

So somehow, I’m meant to praise her ‘big’ (aka fat) behind while listening to her lecture my ‘overtraining’ because I have an ‘eating disorder’.

The insecurity kills me.

Last edited:
I also trained in a sports bra for squats for the first time in Thursday and no one gave two s**t. It was excellent, I moved up weights!

I thought I saw on the news some old bloke was hurt at a gym in Sydney walking into equipment whilst distracted

I thought I saw on the news some old bloke was hurt at a gym in Sydney walking into equipment whilst distracted

My shoes are incredibly white, yes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back