Radio coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

3AW has the best team in my opinion.

Lane and Eva are the best callers and I think they have the best expert comments. I like that they have two on at once. What lets their broadcast down is the constant adds, unlike Triple M they don't seem to plug as much during the call but after every over.

The moment Brad McNamara and James Brayshaw were announced as part of triple m's coverage, i made a decision to give them a wide berth regardless of how highly i might regard some other members of their team.

I reached a saturation point with Gerard Whateley, so i haven't listened to him on ABC radio for just under a year and if Jim Maxwell's suggested strgugels are true then maybe not listening to his post stroke commentary isn't such a bad thing.

So i suppose by process of elimination, I've been listening to Macaquarie radio. I enjoy Time Lane and Bruce Eva as callers. I don't mind Ian Chappell at all so that's another positive for me. Mike Hussey and Damien Fleming are pretty good too. I could do with no Greg Matthews though to be honest. His absence from the Gabba test has been a welcome on for me.

Strgugels? That you, Jim?

Honestly I find the ABC boring these days as I mentioned in the Jim Maxwell thread. Rogers, Nannes and Katich are too vanilla, even if the ball by ball people are quality. Maxwell, Wheatley, Mitchell and Aggers is a great ball by ball lineup.

I tried listening to 3AW but I really just can't deal with the ads. The whole point about radio cricket commentary is the analysis and discussion that goes on between overs. Ads kills the tempo.

The Cricket Australia app offers the BBC so I'm listening to that at the moment. It's good.

Edit: Oh dang McGrath is on the BBC? What a legend.

MMM for me,Isha Guha is terrific,I like their laid back style,Channel 9 is woeful,Michael Clarke is the worst commentator in the history of TV cricket commentary.

On Triple, the pre conceived idea i had with them was that their commentary was going to be very biased and one eyed? Is that pre conceived idea i had about them true or not?
They can be, yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with ABC is that the voices are not very different, and most of the commentators sound the same (not just their voices, but their style of analysis as well). The previous era you had different commentators with different styles and perspectives. You could always tell Lawson was in the box if the conversation shifted towards NSW grade cricket, and you had no trouble identifying who was in the box from a couple of sentences. There have been times where it has taken a while to figure out whether its Rogers, Katich or Nannes on air.

The ABC used to also have a different member of the team for each test, so Lawson in Sydney, Terry Alderman in Perth and so on. I liked this because they gave us a local perspective. Not sure why they got rid of this and now take the same team to each test. I agree there is a sameness about the commentators now. Also, both Nannes and Katich have a slightly whiny tone which can get on your nerves after a while.

Last edited:
What would be everyone's dream team of radio commentary? My top 5 would be:

• David Lloyd - could listen to him call every ball of every match for the rest of my life
  • Kerry O'Keefe - partly because I really enjoy his self-deprecating sense of humour and partly because I enjoy putting him on to annoy my old man
  • Michael Holding - smoothest voice in world cricket
  • Ian Healy - now hear me out, I absolutely LOATHE him on Channel 9, but remove him from that pack of idiots and he is actually very insightful and possibly the most unbiased Australian commentator
  • Harsha Bhogle - has some great turns of phrases and I love the nerdy way he tries to understand the Aussie slang of the other commentators

What would be everyone's dream team of radio commentary? My top 5 would be:

• David Lloyd - could listen to him call every ball of every match for the rest of my life
  • Kerry O'Keefe - partly because I really enjoy his self-deprecating sense of humour and partly because I enjoy putting him on to annoy my old man
  • Michael Holding - smoothest voice in world cricket
  • Ian Healy - now hear me out, I absolutely LOATHE him on Channel 9, but remove him from that pack of idiots and he is actually very insightful and possibly the most unbiased Australian commentator
  • Harsha Bhogle - has some great turns of phrases and I love the nerdy way he tries to understand the Aussie slang of the other commentators

If i was given carte blanche to put a commentary team together i'd go off Macquarie radio's one caller, two experts system.

Ball by ball commentators would be: Aggers, Tim Lane and Alison Mitchell
Expert commentators would be: Kerry O'Keefe, Ian Chappell, Michael Vaughan, David Lloyd, Simon Katich, Mike Atherton, Mark Taylor and Shane Warne

With regards to Warne and Taylor, when they're talking cricket, i think they're well worth listening to even if i might not always a agree with them. Honourable mention to Sir Geoffrey Boycott but there's room for one grumpy old man and that spot goes to Ian Chappell who, Bill Lawry aside, is my favourite of the channel 9 team. Alison Mitchell's inclusion isn't down to tokenism, i think she did a very good job on ABC last summer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back