Opinion Knightsight, Hinesight and Hindsight Nov 2016 and 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

With regard to McCarthy. The important thing with key position players is having players who project as long term best 22 players. McCarthy didn't project to be that, and we only needed the one year to figure that out. Key position posts are all about maximum quality and McCarthy is a long term project who wasn't likely to develop into that best 22 player.

It makes one wonder why we hung onto Corey Gault for so long!

Thanks for your comments KM. Aish entering into season 5 and now finally doing the work he needs to do? Hopefully he has just realised that this is his last opportunity to play AFL.
This is make or break season for Aish next year. If it works out for him no-one will regret giving up the second round draft picks for him as he is a silky smooth one touch player with a pin point accuracy kick when he gets going. Pace isn't an issue with silky smooth players because they rarely get caught. His physique has been the issue with him because he gets hit in the packs and he doesn't have the bulk, like Sidebottom, to take the hits. If he gets hit too often next year and loses confidence being the shy player he is, that could be it regarding an AFL career and then we regret the valuable draft picks we gave up for him, which as the poster above states, we could have used to draft a KPP.

It makes one wonder why we hung onto Corey Gault for so long!

I sense with Gault the Pies hung onto him thinking he had some chance at him filling the relieving ruck role.

Thanks for your comments KM. Aish entering into season 5 and now finally doing the work he needs to do? Hopefully he has just realised that this is his last opportunity to play AFL.

From some preseason comments, it sounds like he has realised it is probably his final season if he can't establish himself as a regular part of the clubs best 22.

It would be very surprising if Nathan didn't make that very clear at the end of last season.

It's more his contested ball winning that concerns me. He doesn't win enough of it, and it stems from that. He could also go about improving his endurance, so that he does go at a higher speed more often. Hopefully he is addressing both issues this preseason. Talk is he is starring on the track, so I trust he received a rocket at seasons end and is putting in the work he has long needed to, to take the next step.

He plays mostly outside which I guess limits his Contested Ball and his Concern of his many getting off him

My go

First pick: Naughton
Pick 2: Murphy
Pick 3: Brown
Pick 4: Butts

Agree KPP was our Biggest Need and Naughton would been the best but we needed X-Factor and Speed next and Stephenson gives us that.

Butts was not even Drafted

Agree KPP was our Biggest Need and Naughton would been the best but we needed X-Factor and Speed next and Stephenson gives us that.

Butts was not even Drafted
Love the look of Stephenson. He was my favourite pick after Naughton. His all star game was elite against some of the best draft prospects. I just thought we needed Naughton more and I love his Collingwood connection. Talent wise I'm extremely happy with Stephenson. He looks like JJ who is the sort of player we need. He looks driven and I think he will live and beath football, like Pendlebury or Judd. If he stays healthy he will be elite maybe even the best in the draft imo.

Love the look of Stephenson. He was my favourite pick after Naughton. His all star game was elite against some of the best draft prospects. I just thought we needed Naughton more and I love his Collingwood connection. Talent wise I'm extremely happy with Stephenson. He looks like JJ who is the sort of player we need. He looks driven and I think he will live and beath football, like Pendlebury or Judd. If he stays healthy he will be elite maybe even the best in the draft imo.

Very Well Said. Can't Complain about Stephenson Talent as he has a Lot and Big Upside.

Lot of Draft Watches have said he has the Chance of being the Best from this Draft:D:thumbsu:

Very Well Said. Can't Complain about Stephenson Talent as he has a Lot and Big Upside.

Lot of Draft Watches have said he has the Chance of being the Best from this Draft:D:thumbsu:
And attitude.
Can't ever discount a great attitude.
Just means the chances of stuffing up by being dumb is reduced greatly.

Can see him being a wonderful ten year player.

Actually I see Murphy as the same ten year type. And he's always cheerful by the looks.

I love the dedicated types.

Pick 6: Darcy Fogarty. My boy The Fog machine. IMO, he will be the best player in the draft. I think he will end up being a very very good KPD. His ability to read and attack the ball is elite. Beautiful kick too.

Pick 39: Hugh Dixon. He reminds me of Mitch mcgovern at the way he jumps at the ball. Think he will turn out to be a steal.

Pick 56(assuming we didn't match T.Brown) : Jake Patmore. He can definitely get the ball. Averaged 29 possessions a game for Claremont.

First time I've ever done one of these, and I'm hoping I'm truly and utterly wrong and Stephenson, Murray and T. Brown kill it.

But at the same time, I'm wondering what my life as a recruiter would be.

And attitude.
Can't ever discount a great attitude.
Just means the chances of stuffing up by being dumb is reduced greatly.

Can see him being a wonderful ten year player.

Actually I see Murphy as the same ten year type. And he's always cheerful by the looks.

I love the dedicated types.

Very True. Attitude is Huge for Hine and I Stephenson would had 1 of the best in the Draft IF we rated him as the 3rd Best Prospect

Hey nightmare love your opinions and phantom drafts, love getting snoops and your thoughts about our club, looking forward in 12 months time what do you think our recruiting strategy will be? in the super draft ie potential key position players, academy f/son picks. and also potential free agents?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey nightmare love your opinions and phantom drafts, love getting snoops and your thoughts about our club, looking forward in 12 months time what do you think our recruiting strategy will be? in the super draft ie potential key position players, academy f/son picks. and also potential free agents?

Collingwood are going to be as aggressive as possible in our pursuit of Gold Coast's Tom Lynch. Even if it means clearing salary cap space to make it possible.

Collingwood will secure some father son and academy prospects. Quaynor and Kelly likely at this stage.

Otherwise with what early days looks like a good KPP group, I can see Collingwood looking at some KPPs, given this year Collingwood looked to fill other holes - outside pace and skill among various role players.

I am a bit gutted no Fogarty as I can quite comfortably see him developing into an elite AFL player. He was a safe bet and a good fit IMO.

Having said that Stephenson is intriguing, but I do have mixed concerns about him. For some reason I see a lot of WHE in him, this is not necessarily a bad thing but it doesn't excite me all that much. What does excite me is his pace, it is breathtaking and is an elite quality that will stand him apart, he makes some of those guys look like they are standing still as he blazes past him (mind you last time I was excited about a Collingwood draftee with pace it was N. Freeman). He does have an x-factor and will be exciting to watch, but we do have a lot of exciting guys on their day, do we have enough reliable soldiers week to week?

Also, I don't feel he is a great kick. I think our field kicking needs to be a prerequisite before bringing any mid in so as to slowly improve our overall lists deficiency there. The best teams use the ball well by foot. I may be wrong but Stephenson isn't up to scratch in this area.

I think in retrospect we did poorly not having a second rounder where we could have got quite a decent KPP. A lot were taken before we had an opportunity - I thought some would slide, like Balta but it was Murphy who slid and is a good get but no KPP, so that makes us look a bit silly and holes in the list.

Murphy looks like a natural footballer and will be solid for us.

Similar in style but no in personality. WHE comes across as a quiet kid who might lack a big of mongrel/self belief whereas Stephenson seems like a confident, outgoing type who will back himself to perform. I think he will be good for WHE, healthy competition might bring out his best more consistently.

Collingwood are going to be as aggressive as possible in our pursuit of Gold Coast's Tom Lynch. Even if it means clearing salary cap space to make it possible.

Collingwood will secure some father son and academy prospects. Quaynor and Kelly likely at this stage.

Otherwise with what early days looks like a good KPP group, I can see Collingwood looking at some KPPs, given this year Collingwood looked to fill other holes - outside pace and skill among various role players.
What would we need to do to get Lukosius?

This is the one I reckon is great gem. As described (by you no less) as a Nick Reiwoldt clone type.
How good would he be; if I had to punt on getting only one I'd take him over even Tom Lynch.

What would we need to do to get Lukosius?

This is the one I reckon is great gem. As described (by you no less) as a Nick Reiwoldt clone type.
How good would he be; if I had to punt on getting only one I'd take him over even Tom Lynch.

Just as Jonathon Brown followed Wayne Carey, Lukosius I fully expect to be that same equivalent to Nick Riewoldt. Lukosius is a better kick, but otherwise you're looking at a near copy. He's flat out special. Complete game and has that same endurance as Riewoldt where he can push up the field and take marks endlessly, or if you're stupid enough to follow him past the centre, he'll burn you the other way and kill you inside 50m.

There won't be a decision of Lynch v Lukosius, as Lynch is a free agent.

In reality, you always need to go with the established player over the prospect, as you get that on field performance and leadership. But I wouldn't put it past Lukosius going past Lynch and having the better career. He has that capability.

He'll go pick 1 or 2 is the expectation at this stage.

Izak Rankine some favour to Lukosius. King some are talking about as a number one, but I don't see it. Ian Hill is another who may be in that mix or close.

I worry about putting everything into the Tom Lynch. So what Happens IF we don't get him(Which is my Tip) OR we get him and pay Massive Overs for him

Hopefully we can at least get a 2nd Rounder back and Hopefully a 2nd 1st Rounder

Because of Hines effort in the drafts and trade and my dislike of Buckley.. I have decided to spend my money on a few bottles of aventus creed that will last me a life time. Throw in acqui di gior and s**t loads of Versace Eros as well. And relinquish my membership re.

Spending it wisely this time round.

Ade reee.

Because of Hines effort in the drafts and trade and my dislike of Buckley.. I have decided to spend my money on a few bottles of aventus creed that will last me a life time. Throw in acqui di gior and s**t loads of Versace Eros as well. And relinquish my membership re.

Spending it wisely this time round.

Ade reee.
Hopefully that means you'll stop posting on BF too.

Just as Jonathon Brown followed Wayne Carey, Lukosius I fully expect to be that same equivalent to Nick Riewoldt. Lukosius is a better kick, but otherwise you're looking at a near copy. He's flat out special. Complete game and has that same endurance as Riewoldt where he can push up the field and take marks endlessly, or if you're stupid enough to follow him past the centre, he'll burn you the other way and kill you inside 50m.

There won't be a decision of Lynch v Lukosius, as Lynch is a free agent.

In reality, you always need to go with the established player over the prospect, as you get that on field performance and leadership. But I wouldn't put it past Lukosius going past Lynch and having the better career. He has that capability.

He'll go pick 1 or 2 is the expectation at this stage.

Izak Rankine some favour to Lukosius. King some are talking about as a number one, but I don't see it. Ian Hill is another who may be in that mix or close.
I've decided I like the Riewoldt clone.

Imagine if Nick Riewoldt was born one year earlier and Josh Fraser one year later.
On such things.... clubs fall or rise.

I still regret something that actually is only a fantasy as they are born when they are born

Remove this Banner Ad

Back