Opinion Knightsight, Hinesight and Hindsight Nov 2016 and 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I worry about putting everything into the Tom Lynch. So what Happens IF we don't get him(Which is my Tip) OR we get him and pay Massive Overs for him

Hopefully we can at least get a 2nd Rounder back and Hopefully a 2nd 1st Rounder

To me it just means we hit the draft and use our early picks on a key forward or two. It'd be disappointing to miss out on Lynch but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood are going to be as aggressive as possible in our pursuit of Gold Coast's Tom Lynch. Even if it means clearing salary cap space to make it possible.

Collingwood will secure some father son and academy prospects. Quaynor and Kelly likely at this stage.

Otherwise with what early days looks like a good KPP group, I can see Collingwood looking at some KPPs, given this year Collingwood looked to fill other holes - outside pace and skill among various role players.

That'll be our strategy for sure. If we get our off field stuff right on top of Lynch we'd be firmly in our window. I reckon our list is in great shape but lacks a key forward focal point. We need to get our high performance, development and coaching areas right to support the list we have. I'm hopeful with the moves we've made in those areas this off season.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hopefully that means you'll stop posting on BF too.
What? You don't like a bit of humour mixed in with your serious footy talk? I'd be bored shitless on here if not for the posters who don't take themselves too seriously and give me something to laugh about. I'd rather you stop posting than BringouttheGimp re. In fact, I never even knew you existed till now.

Brent24

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
What? You don't like a bit of humour mixed in with your serious footy talk? I'd be bored shitless on here if not for the posters who don't take themselves too seriously and give me something to laugh about. I'd rather you stop posting than BringouttheGimp re. In fact, I never even knew you existed till now.
Not sure what was humorous about his post.
Plenty of funny people on this board that could pick up the slack I'm sure.

BPikkers

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've decided I like the Riewoldt clone.

Imagine if Nick Riewoldt was born one year earlier and Josh Fraser one year later.
On such things.... clubs fall or rise.

I still regret something that actually is only a fantasy as they are born when they are born

Imagine if Miranda Kerr asked me out a few years ago when we bumped into eachother at a function. I wouldn't be here on Bigfooty debating the merits of Oxley over Ramsay in the rookie draft that's for sure.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Imagine if Miranda Kerr asked me out a few years ago when we bumped into eachother at a function. I wouldn't be here on Bigfooty debating the merits of Oxley over Ramsay in the rookie draft that's for sure.
Perhaps not....

Young love promises so much...

Delivers so little.....

(Unless you're lucky ofcourse)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
To me it just means we hit the draft and use our early picks on a key forward or two. It'd be disappointing to miss out on Lynch but it wouldn't be the end of the world.
I'd prefer us to miss out on him than pay the prices being bandied around. He's a solid player, good for 50 goals a year, but he doesn't dominate.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I'd prefer us to miss out on him than pay the prices being bandied around. He's a solid player, good for 50 goals a year, but he doesn't dominate.

I would. He's the missing piece and would balance out our list. I'm thinking about how it clicked for the team with Jolly and Ball once those very obvious needs got addressed.

It is a lot of currency though and I can see why you'd have some concerns.

Last edited:
I would. He's the missing piece and would balance out our list. I'm thinking about how it clicked fot the team with Jolly and Ball once those very obvious needs got addressed.

Think we won't come Flag Contenders with JUST Lynch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither do I. Need do better in high performance, development and coaching too.

Yep. I say at best we are 3 Years away from Contending for a Flag and 2 away from Finals

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I've decided I like the Riewoldt clone.

Imagine if Nick Riewoldt was born one year earlier and Josh Fraser one year later.
On such things.... clubs fall or rise.

I still regret something that actually is only a fantasy as they are born when they are born

I'd do all I can to get both Lynch and Lukosius.

Trade the clubs first rounders for 2018 and 2019 if it means getting pick 1/2 or whatever is expected to be enough to get Lukosius.

I'd also clear salary cap space to get Tom Lynch, with a view to trade out a lot of depth and fringe best 22 types for picks with next years draft looking particularly exciting.

In the miracle scenario both could be added - it would allow Moore to play as the relieving ruckman - mostly forward behind Grundy. What a key forward/ruck core that would create!

Lynch would be big beyond just production - with youth development (having Moore and Lukosius learn off of Lynch would be incredible) + as a captain, that's added leadership Collingwood need more of.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
That'll be our strategy for sure. If we get our off field stuff right on top of Lynch we'd be firmly in our window. I reckon our list is in great shape but lacks a key forward focal point. We need to get our high performance, development and coaching areas right to support the list we have. I'm hopeful with the moves we've made in those areas this off season.

Yep. I say at best we are 3 Years away from Contending for a Flag and 2 away from Finals

*A sort of response to you both.

The AFL is a weird place at the moment. Richmond just won a premiership. Adelaide were the best team through the home and away season. Am I allowed to say I don't rate either team?

I'm not seeing any one great team in the AFL. It's such an even competition now. Only a few good off-season moves, a good pre-season as a squad and injury luck during the season and any team other than North Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Fremantle can contend.

I'm not liking Collingwood's premiership chances any time soon and see Collingwood likely continuing to flutter around 9th-14th over coming seasons. But then again I would have said the same of Richmond going into last season with ageing list, little worthwhile young talent and the loss of Deledio who seemed like the difference between winning and losing seemingly the final straw for them. So it shows how wide open things are, with Collingwood no worse than Richmond 12 months ago.

Last edited:
I would. He's the missing piece and would balance out our list. I'm thinking about how it clicked for the team with Jolly and Ball once those very obvious needs got addressed.

If Lynch can get back to 2016 form next year, I'll probably start clamouring for him. But if he repeats the production levels of 2014, 2015, 2017' I reckon his price is crazy talk.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Trade the clubs first rounders for 2018 and 2019 if it means getting pick 1/2 or whatever is expected to be enough to get Lukosius.

In the miracle scenario both could be added - it would allow Moore to play as the relieving ruckman - mostly forward behind Grundy. What a key forward/ruck core that would create!

Lynch would be big beyond just production - with youth development (having Moore and Lukosius learn off of Lynch would be incredible) + as a captain, that's added leadership Collingwood need more of.
Moore doing more rucking over time.
Emphatic yes from me.
I wonder if people realise that Moore could be a terrific ruck. In a few years think as a minimum just under Peter Moore levels, at a premium a dominant ruck.

Just my view on Moores talent levels, albeit potentially, as a ruck.

I see us being blessed in something at least for 2018.
Rucking down back with Moore.
Around the ground with AA contending Grundy.
Up front with the tallest player ever, Cox.

Gee that's something.

For what it's worth if we got Lukosius* and Lynch and surround them with the core of Grundy, Moore, De Goey, Maynard, Adams, Treloar and Pendlebury.... well be contending I reckon.

*I just cant get the idea of having a career player like a Nick Riewoldt in our midst.
So often what we have missed.

Feb 27, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cityslick sight...

5. Bit of trepidation here, but prob would've settled on Stephenson. Cerra the one I really wanted - think will win a Brownlow one day - but was happy to go excitement / high risk, high reward here. The other two I wouldve considered are Fogarty & Bonar. Fog could be exactly what we need in the forward 50, but his lack of tank and oversized physique worried me a little. Reminds me of Shayne Smith from the 90's who dominated smaller opponents, but peaked at 17 and didn't really make it. Bonar could be the Goodes type from this draft, so I would not have been unhappy if we selected him, but also has an inferior tank & oversized build, which has no doubt helped him in the juniors. Stephenson also far more dominant in the Stars game... which I know is only one day, but kept reminding myself of.

39. Happy with Murphy here. Didn't know much about him 1 month out from the draft, but what I saw in the highlights package screams hidden gem. Also has a v good tank, mark & skills & that confident, carefree, unflappable attitude about him that often goes hand in hand with elite sportsmen. Think Dangerfield, Daisy, Buddy, Billy Slater, Steve Smith...
Was sure he'd be gone by now, so was initially hoping for Clavarino, but if Moore really is going to play back, we should be fine down there & Murphy helps edge out the Blair & Greenwood types that slow us down & make us vulnerable. Will be interesting to track Ballard, as I like the sound of him too.

57. Agree, would've gone Myers. Cats will be rapt he was still available here, and I think he represents something that we dont have on our list. Genuine small forward with high pressure & a big tank. No guarantee Kirby will make it, and Daicos & Brown are more HF / midfield types, whilst Betts, Rioli, Elliott and Fantasia have proven that small forwards can win games off their won boot.

Not too disappointed for the club to follow the lineage route on the off chance that Tyler is a late developer & could turn out like his father, but its a big if at this stage. Bucks was a massive Gavin Brown fan btw - said he's one of the best he's ever played on (Bears days), so I've no doubt he influenced both Brown draftings.

70. I'd have taken a gamble on Garlett here. Have no doubt clubs were hoping to rookie him, but could be another pacy player with elite potential that could be a quick running back with good vision and skills.

Still leaves us short for KP players, but I'm hoping that Dunn can go round again, McLarty soon develops to add much needed height and aerial ability down back... and of course Lynch plus one of the King twins can be added next year :D

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The thread theme is hindsight but the talk is of a future when we have recruited Lynch, or Lucosius, or somehow both (??!!:drunk:), and our draftees have matured. It seems there is not a lot to enthuse about short term in terms of team success. We rejoice in our choice of recruits and invest our hope in their potential and development. TradeDraft believes that finals are two years away, which is a long time to wait. I need a more immediate fix. Lucosius could easily be ours if we come last in 2017, but then the 2nd round pick we lightly gave up is going to seem a very expensive price for Murray - unless Murray stars in the backline this year and helps us avoid the wooden spoon. But as Knightmare states above, all is not lost - the competition is not dominated by a bunch of star teams.

Last edited:

BPikkers

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

I'd also clear salary cap space to get Tom Lynch, with a view to trade out a lot of depth and fringe best 22 types for picks with next years draft looking particularly exciting.

I agree having both at the club would be fantastic. Unless we are bottom 3, not sure if giving away our 2018 and 2019 1st round picks will be enough to get the number 1 pick in the draft...although you can never say never.

In terms of trading players for picks to free up cap space, I'd be interested to know who you think actually has some currency in the market place? Apart from Fas, I'm not so sure we have alot to work with that we can afford to give up. DO we make the bold move and offer up Sidebottom? Grundy? Elliot?

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Moore doing more rucking over time.
Emphatic yes from me.
I wonder if people realise that Moore could be a terrific ruck. In a few years think as a minimum just under Peter Moore levels, at a premium a dominant ruck.

Just my view on Moores talent levels, albeit potentially, as a ruck.

I see us being blessed in something at least for 2018.
Rucking down back with Moore.
don't play your thoroughbreds in the ruck imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back