FTA-TV Poor Experiences you have had with Australian "celebrities"

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I could count on 1 hand the number of threads I've started on BF over the last 10 years, but the recent allegations about Don Burke and other celebrities had me thinking about a poor experience my sister had with an Australian Comedy legend.
She was working in a video shop in Bayside Melbourne when this legend of various Australian comedy shows walked in and was incredibly rude to her when hiring a video. As a retail shop assistant, you do try to make small talk and be polite. He threw his video on the counter at her and before she even had the chance to say "Hi how are you going, have you had a nice day so far?" he cut her off with a "don't bother me with small talk, I haven't got all day, just charge me for that will you".
Now this guy seems like the most affable person you could ever meet, his characters on TV have always been hilarious and you would class at least 2 of them as iconic in Australian comedy. Come to think of it, I'll add a 3rd character even though this one was more of a support to 2 female leads.
There was no sexual suggestions or anything like the Burke situation, this was more a case of someone being completely opposite of what you would expect.
Anyway, it's "time to hit the road" and give the audience on BF the opportunity to relay any experiences they've had which have disappointed them. Obviously, discretion is advised

Worked as an Extra in a David Wenham film, at the end of the night we tried to get a picture with him, he told us he didn't have time and had somewhere to be. He was nice about it and apologetic and shook our hands (could've taken a picture in that time), but later that night a guy on my facebook who is a bartender puts up pictures with him and David.

He blew us off because he was going to the pub.

Well s**t, at least he was in character.

A few years ago Michelle Bridges was doing a book tour singing thing where if you waited in line you go up get your photo and ask a question. So my wife who at the time was studying Nutrition was stoked to able to ask her a question. When she asked her the question just she rolled her eyes and " Uhuh next". I stuck around and noticed she was doing to it everyone as they walked up...

Worked as an Extra in a David Wenham film, at the end of the night we tried to get a picture with him, he told us he didn't have time and had somewhere to be. He was nice about it and apologetic and shook our hands (could've taken a picture in that time), but later that night a guy on my facebook who is a bartender puts up pictures with him and David.

He blew us off because he was going to the pub.

Well s**t, at least he was in character.

Might've been drunk with the bartender. Or getting free drinks.

A few years ago Michelle Bridges was doing a book tour singing thing where if you waited in line you go up get your photo and ask a question. So my wife who at the time was studying Nutrition was stoked to able to ask her a question. When she asked her the question just she rolled her eyes and " Uhuh next". I stuck around and noticed she was doing to it everyone as they walked up...
Interesting, we had Michelle Bridges speak at a corporate function 2 years ago and she was brilliant.I'm not particularly a fan but I thought I might get a picture with her just to show my wife and daughter (my boys couldn't give a s**t). She couldn't have been more accomodating and even asked me some questions about my family.

Moral of the story - isolated incidents aren't necessarily indicative of someone's usual demeanour.

It's funny how people claim that celebrities are rude because they won't stop to chat or take a selfie with them while they're out in public just going about their business or having dinner in a restaurant, most people wouldn't be happy being pestered by other people like that especially if it happens all the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny how people claim that celebrities are rude because they won't stop to chat or take a selfie with them while they're out in public just going about their business or having dinner in a restaurant, most people wouldn't be happy being pestered by other people like that especially if it happens all the time.

Agree.

However some of these involve people doing their job.

Sent from mTalk

Interesting, we had Michelle Bridges speak at a corporate function 2 years ago and she was brilliant.I'm not particularly a fan but I thought I might get a picture with her just to show my wife and daughter (my boys couldn't give a s**t). She couldn't have been more accomodating and even asked me some questions about my family.

We had Jeff Kennett speak at our school once and he was brilliant.

And same with Mark Robinson (but for different reasons lol)

As for the thread- no surprise but Tina Arena was a pill during her Young Talent Time days. My wokrmate saw her in a KFC in Moonee Ponds and she was cracking the shits she couldnt jump the line, something like that :D

I think I ripped Michael Long's ticket when I worked at Hoyts. Or perhaps another bomber idk... and i wished him luck for the game ahead. Yeah was very shy didnt say much.

Admitted Wayne Carey as well into the cinema, didnt say a word to that turd. (except where the cinema was)

I think I ripped Michael Long's ticket when I worked at Hoyts. Or perhaps another bomber idk... and i wished him luck for the game ahead. Yeah was very shy didnt say much.

Admitted Wayne Carey as well into the cinema, didnt say a word to that turd. (except where the cinema was)

Wayne was probably more interested in where the women's toilets were.

Opposite of the thread, but one person I always genuinely nice and always having time for people was Peter Brock. Met him a few times and was a pleasure each one.

Sent from mTalk
And yet he used to beat the s**t out of his wife. Go figure!

Got a footy signed at a Slowdown 8 or 9 years ago, if you paid $20 for a cheap foam footy all the celebs involved would sign it (and a select few ex-Crows/Power players). Most players were great, most celebs were great, "Thanks for coming out, enjoy the day" sorta stuff, except Fitzy and Lehmo. There were regular delays in the line where people would be stuck at the people who just signed their stuff which is where the smalltalk would commence. Fitzy and Lehmo sat next to each other chatting away, never took their sunnies off, looked up or even acknowledged the people getting their s**t signed. Seems about how I expected them.

Before the Game were assholes. Went to a taping, just said "see ya" and left.

The Footy Show were fantastic (circa late 90s) went and Sam, Eddie and Trev hung around signing stuff and chatting. Sam was lovely in particular.
My grandad got interviewed on The Footy show a couple years ago, said Brayshaw, Lyon, Brownless etc pretty much hopped in their cars and drove off as soon as the credits rolled, but Sam hung around for awhile for a chat. Reckons he was a ripping bloke off-camera.

Met plenty and for the most part they are all normal people, some lovely some less so. Only one I remember (and its more funny than anything) was working in retail in Camberwell, Matt Welsh, Patty and Lauren Newton came in, I had not idea who Patty and Lauren were but recognised Matt Welsh. Patty was x-mas shopping for a young guy and wanted a tee shirt but she had these massive sunnies and a headscarf on and wouldn't speak to or look at me so Matt had to ask her then ask me for what they were after. After they picked one and had to pay for it Patty sort of stood there and handed her money to Matt who then handed it to me. Told Matt I thought he was a champion and she took her sunnies off and glared at me.

I told my girlfriend the story later and she told me it was Lauren and Patty, supposedly Patty was notorious for it along the Burke road shops and also used to buy stuff, use/wear it then come in with someone else and get refunds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back