Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn Harrison Jones - pick 7, 2017 rookie draft

Was he injured in the highlights package? Serious question.
What’s your expectation of a rookie pick?

Do you want them to have a reel like Cyril’s?

Most people who wait for a rookie pick and the accompanying highlights are looking to see what the upside is that the club is going to try and grow.

With Jones, it’s clealry his inside work and sure hands that has given him this chance, which is certainly highlighted within the video.

Great 2008

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What’s your expectation of a rookie pick?

Do you want them to have a reel like Cyril’s?

Most people who wait for a rookie pick and the accompanying highlights are looking to see what the upside is that the club is going to try and grow.

With Jones, it’s clealry his inside work and sure hands that has given him this chance, which is certainly highlighted within the video.

I have no expectations of rookie picks. If they play games that is a huge bonus.

Half the posters on here, comment on and make a judgment based on these highlight packages, draft reports and news articles as they have nothing else. That does not mean they are putting their house on that assessment.

FWIW I loved Kreugers' highlights package as did a few other posters I recall on this site. Nothing came of that either.

...and yeah. if they all had a highlights package like Cyrils' that would be lovely. :thumbsu:;)

Last edited:
knock yourself out.
He's a meat and potatoes inside midfielder.
Nothing exciting about that clip.
Mr Hartung, I am a fan of your boy. Sad to see him go. Had his weaknesses but still think those can be improved.
However, he now has an opportunity at the Roos. I wish him well.

Why you are still prowling this board? And why especially knocking an 18y.o. rookie is beyond me.

Let's reassess in 2 years time to see where all is at.

Shitting on a rookie pick who had to deal with injury for majority of the year...

Go you!

Now we know why his son apparently had no friends at the club - obviously didn't have the greatest of role models growing up.

MrFujiMoto

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks, Norwood Redlegs
Nexzt year we are totally going after a guy named Indiana Ford, I don't care how well he plays.
Just need to find someone with that name, stick a footy in his hands and get him to nominate. 5 or 75 it doesn't matter

List Manager

Club Legend
May 21, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
there's a video up, but there aren't any highlights in it.
Surely you jest.
I just watched Jones draft prospect video again and for comparison sake watched Billy’s again too.
Billy’s video shows he had elite speed and good disposal at pace, not one bit of physical contact in the video, not one tackle laid nor one defensive act shown at all. I remember being uninspired with the selection at the time and was not at all surprised he was cut at the end of the season after showing very little improvement in his 4 seasons. Nothing changed from Billy’s draft highlights to what he produced through to 2017.

Jones video shows that he enjoys getting his hands dirty, winning the contested footy, clean disposal at ground level and brings his team mates into the game with good decision making while standing up in tackles and is quite strong overhead.
If his draft video is a reflection of his AFL career as Billy’s was by showing the same traits at AFL level as he did in his draft prospect video I think he will develop into quite a nice player.

Theoretically speaking, if both players were available at our pick in this draft with only those same draft prospect videos to judge by I’d be going with Jones every time.

AFL players can be elite endurance athletes all they like but if they aren’t willing or capable two way runners with a desire to be involved in defensive efforts and winning the contested footy their careers will always be limited to some degree.

I wish Billy the best of luck at North. He was given every opportunity to work on the defensive and contested sides of his game but the improvement (or desire?) just wasn’t there.

Last edited:

Dystopia

Senior List
May 22, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There is a photo on the Hawks "Instagram" Site of young new recruit Harrison Jones. Was put up about an hour ago...Not sure how to upload it onto here, if someone can for all to see, be my guest. Cheers.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Putting aside my dislike for anything essendon for a moment, he plays a lot like Dyson Heppell. In his highlights he was either very good at avoiding a tackle or there were some pretty weak attempts to put him under pressure. Rounds off a great draft for us, given the picks we went in with, by any reasonable assessment we have done well above what could have been expected.

* Edit: I just found out he is (well, was) a bombers supporter...

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To be fair on the kid, you wouldn't call those highlights only because they seem to all be from a small handful of games - given he's missed a lot.

Id just call that match vision.

If that's his output over the course of 2-3 games then I'm impressed.

Not flashy but strong and skilled hands for a skinny kid can only mean good things once he bulks up.

Back