Sue Ridgepipe

Debutant
Nov 9, 2015
Commode Abode
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Red Bull F1, EPL Spurs, NBA Spurs
The "brain surgeons" in charge at Fox Sports have recently changed their format for Fox Sport News, going with a more "dynamic" approach, lots of crosses to boring as dog s**t "live press events" with borderline illiterate footballers regurgitating rehearsed cliches, "witty" on air discussion and banter, much less structure, and ultimately requiring their news presenters to ad lib more and read a prompter less.

The result... trainwreck.

Most of the presenters had problems just reading, often butchering names and stumbling through their lines, but now attempting to ad lib on the fly with bogus "late breaking news" it is 100 times worse.

It is basically unwatchable currently, hopefully they revert back to what they had, so this will never work with the current Fox Sports collective brain power.

They have a bloke doing lunch times who literally doesn't know how to read off their prompter. He stutters every third word, the chick who he's always with (she was on the old FSN) looks at him like wtf are you doing..

Wouldn't think its too hard not to botch this..

A gripe I have is that they are over-doing the NRL and AFL news too. When I get up on a Sunday morning I want to catch-up on all the sport that happened over night. The EPL, tennis, basketball etc results and highlights. I don't need AFL and NRL game day from 8:00AM to 12PM.

I flicked onto FSN last night and they were doing reports on the day’s AFL games.

They do an intro to the WC/Crows game, then showed a couple of minutes highlights of that.

They then do an intro to the Tigers/Saints game… then the highlights of the WC/Crows game starts again! They then cut it short to blunder an apology. Shambles.

The best version of Fox Sports News was a decade ago when you could press the red button and scan through the latest news headlines and video segments. Is that still an option? Much better than a channel like FSN.

It's still not much good tbh. Megan Barnard does a great job from 5 pm EDT most weekdays. Louise Ransome, Tom Wilson, Daniel Garb and Bill Woods are pretty good. Matt Suleau and Greg Thompson must have a competition to see who can put the most product in their hair. Zac Bailey who left last week has no idea on footy codes unless it's rugby league.

I agree. There's only a few good newsreaders now, mainly the oldies or long-timers like Megan Barnard, Louise Ransome, Tom Chadwick, Garby and if Bill Woods is ever on by himself (rarely). I don't mind Amanda Shalala from her ABC days.

All the other new blood on there are trash. They obviously have minimal TV experience yet are put into intense live television environments. Fox Sports News should be near the top rungs of media where you employ polished personnel, not a training ground for uni graduates. There's a few blonde women and one very uncharismatic brown-haired bloke (narrows it down) who clearly have nfi and make elementary errors with surprising regularity.

A lot of the blame goes onto the producers. Allowing these news readers – who need to speak from an objective, unbiased, third-person POV – to have "their say" and impart their paper-thin, hastily manufactured "opinions" after a news story is bad media. Viewers don't need to know what you think, let viewers have their own opinions on the story. Dual readers is also a terrible idea; trying to create chemistry between talent is a superfluous pursuit in the news industry. Read the story, play the grab, move on immediately. It's not hard.

I've also noticed producers regularly get facts wrong in the autocue/stories/tickers.

/rant

I agree. There's only a few good newsreaders now, mainly the oldies or long-timers like Megan Barnard, Louise Ransome, Tom Chadwick, Garby and if Bill Woods is ever on by himself (rarely). I don't mind Amanda Shalala from her ABC days.

All the other new blood on there are trash. They obviously have minimal TV experience yet are put into intense live television environments. Fox Sports News should be near the top rungs of media where you employ polished personnel, not a training ground for uni graduates. There's a few blonde women and one very uncharismatic brown-haired bloke (narrows it down) who clearly have nfi and make elementary errors with surprising regularity.

A lot of the blame goes onto the producers. Allowing these news readers – who need to speak from an objective, unbiased, third-person POV – to have "their say" and impart their paper-thin, hastily manufactured "opinions" after a news story is bad media. Viewers don't need to know what you think, let viewers have their own opinions on the story. Dual readers is also a terrible idea; trying to create chemistry between talent is a superfluous pursuit in the news industry. Read the story, play the grab, move on immediately. It's not hard.

I've also noticed producers regularly get facts wrong in the autocue/stories/tickers.

/rant

Dual newsreaders worked in the past. Adam Peacock and Nick McArdle were a great combo before Peacock became soccer presenter on FOX and McArdle became the rugby presenter on FOX. Tom Chadwick and Gerard Middleton were a good combo too i felt. Bill Woods and Megan Barnard from 6 PM EDT most weeknights is the best combination of the current combos they run with.

I dunno who this guy with the glowing bleached hair is, but he is ******* terrible.

My issue with FSN isn't so much the format - it's that the newsreaders they're bringing in are getting worse and worse.

Agree with much said. Two presenters are awkward. Sitting alongside each other trying to discuss what they just read.

Its also funny when one of them stands up to present the news that has been spoken about, then throws to co host to discuss.

how does sportscenter get it so right but fsn cant. odd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 5pm and 6pm EDT bulletins featuring Megan Barnard are the only times i watch Fox Sports News now. She's also pretty close now to usurping Neroli Meadows as my favourite presenter on Fox Sports.

I dunno who this guy with the glowing bleached hair is, but he is ******* terrible.

My issue with FSN isn't so much the format - it's that the newsreaders they're bringing in are getting worse and worse.

For some reason the reporters on Sky News are crossing over to FSN

The bleached dude even covered the Queensland election

Today was pretty s**t again. I made the mistake of watching Fox Sports News before 4pm Brisbane time this afternoon. Matt Suleau was reading a story about Port Adelaide and mentioned that Port lost to West Coast in ''overtime''. FFS, this is Australia, it's not overtime, we have extra time for finals matches that end all square. Also, he referred to a finals series as the post season. Again, we're in Australia, keep the Americanisms off the airwaves.

Later on, Glen lauder was speaking on the phone to Simon Hill about Ange Postecoglou taking charge of Yokohama F Marinos from Japan. Yokohama F Marinos are owned by the City Football group and Ange will be shadowing Pep Guardiola in January. This lead to a stupid, hopefully tongue in cheek question about Ange Postecoglou succeeding Pep Guardiola at Manchester City. Hopefully it was tongue in cheek.

As a rule now, i won't be watching unless Megan Barnard, Bill Woods and or Louis Ransome are on. A fine channel to catch up on sports news has become rubbish. Nick McArdle, Adam Peacock, Tom Chadwick and Gerard Middleton, please come back Fox Sports News to join Megan Barnard, Bill Woods and or Louis Ransome and make Fox Sports News great again.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back