List Mgmt. 2018 NAB AFL Draft: November 22nd & 23rd

Who would you prefer with our first selection?

• Max King

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Bailey Smith

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Connor Rozee

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Jye Caldwell

Votes: 37 15.5%
  • Unknown Smokey?

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Jack Lukosious

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Isak Rankine

Votes: 72 30.1%
  • Ben King

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Sam Walsh

Votes: 13 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
After reading this article on the AFL site...

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-28/clubs-shift-focus-to-2018-super-draft

...I thought I'd ask you experts for more specifics. I'm sure there's already a thread about this somewhere, but after an exhausting 2 second scroll down the thread list, I found nothing. (Please mulch this into such a thread if it already exists, mods)

So my questions are:

Do we have any extra picks, less picks or moved picks in the 2018 draft as part of previous trade deals?

Why is it supposed to be a superdraft, the general quality is better, the top 20 are amazing, or the quality runs deeper than normal?

In other words, where would be a strategic place to have our picks on the basis that we probably won't be picking up too many extra players, (for the sake of argument, let's assume we just have 4/5 more list spots to fill) ie: a couple of picks inside the top 10 like this week or more top 20 or 2nd round to pick up a handy player without reaching?

Any Saints father son picks on the horizon?

And any other stuff you feel relevant to the 2018 soooooopadraft!

At the moment Port Adelaide have our 2018 2nd and 3rd rounder - unless they on traded those, so we will have our first rounder then nothing until round 4 (I think).

We have an extra two 2018 round 4 picks (Port and Adelaide) so let's hope it's reeeaallly deep.

I would expect us to do a deal to get back into the 2nd round. We'll have some player currency at the end of the year I reckon. Finally reached the stage where some of our fringe players hold trade value.

In terms of what makes it a Superdraft, I have NFI. I read it on here so I believe it.

Do we have any extra picks, less picks or moved picks in the 2018 draft as part of previous trade deals? We lost our 2018 2nd rounder, but we got Adelaides 2018 4th rounder

Why is it supposed to be a superdraft, the general quality is better, the top 20 are amazing, or the quality runs deeper than normal? its considered a super draft due to the performance of the talent in it against this years crop. whilst the super draft label has been used way too early, what we do know is that if the 2018 draft talent was available to be selected in the 2017 draft, then the top 6 players would have all been from the 2018 draft. the younger talent just seemed to out perform the older talent this year. which tells us that either of the following is true:
1) the 2018 draft top end is really strong,
2) the 2017 draft top end was soft.

what we dont know is how deep the 2018 draft will go. we didnt see all the 2018 talent play against the 2017 talent. also a lot can change in 12 months. having said that clubs will have an idea on how strong that pool is looking as they watch the U17 closely.

In other words, where would be a strategic place to have our picks on the basis that we probably won't be picking up too many extra players, (for the sake of argument, let's assume we just have 4/5 more list spots to fill) ie: a couple of picks inside the top 10 like this week or more top 20 or 2nd round to pick up a handy player without reaching? not sure i follow the question, but what i would say is that early 1st rounders next year should be much more sought after than first rounders were this year. they'll have a premium tied to them. which will help us if we have a player trade target across the line.

Any Saints father son picks on the horizon? this i dont know

im interested in the second part to this question in regards to father/son picks..
i know we had the father/son training days a few years back (when we were woooing Bailey Rice from Carlton) but thats all gone quiet now ... Harveys boy would be almost drafting age (although i hear he is a cricketer) Milneys young fella would be in his teens now .. i think Brett Voss had a sone as well didnt he ?

im interested in the second part to this question in regards to father/son picks..
i know we had the father/son training days a few years back (when we were woooing Bailey Rice from Carlton) but thats all gone quiet now ... Harveys boy would be almost drafting age (although i hear he is a cricketer) Milneys young fella would be in his teens now .. i think Brett Voss had a sone as well didnt he ?
Sam Loewe was in this years draft pool but appeared not as good as his old man

Always a superdraft next year,

Keep in mind that this time last year they were talking about brander, hayes and balleden in the top 5.

Spargo and Cassidy parish were getting talked up as the top mids alongside Higgins and worpel. Rayner and Brayshaw were barely on the radar. (To be fair Hunter was in the convo).

And this time 2 years ago Jonty was all the rage.

After reading this article on the AFL site...

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-28/clubs-shift-focus-to-2018-super-draft

...I thought I'd ask you experts for more specifics. I'm sure there's already a thread about this somewhere, but after an exhausting 2 second scroll down the thread list, I found nothing. (Please mulch this into such a thread if it already exists, mods)

So my questions are:

Do we have any extra picks, less picks or moved picks in the 2018 draft as part of previous trade deals?

Why is it supposed to be a superdraft, the general quality is better, the top 20 are amazing, or the quality runs deeper than normal?

In other words, where would be a strategic place to have our picks on the basis that we probably won't be picking up too many extra players, (for the sake of argument, let's assume we just have 4/5 more list spots to fill) ie: a couple of picks inside the top 10 like this week or more top 20 or 2nd round to pick up a handy player without reaching?

Any Saints father son picks on the horizon?

And any other stuff you feel relevant to the 2018 soooooopadraft!
James Sziller might give it a whirl but will be 20 next year.

Always a superdraft next year,

Keep in mind that this time last year they were talking about brander, hayes and balleden in the top 5.

Spargo and Cassidy parish were getting talked up as the top mids alongside Higgins and worpel. Rayner and Brayshaw were barely on the radar. (To be fair Hunter was in the convo).

And this time 2 years ago Jonty was all the rage.

Hunter Clark and my boy Worpel looked good things for the top end of the draft last year. Anyway this year the guys who played under 17s looked more exciting than the guys who were of actual draft age but that can change pretty quickly.

The father son training was still on this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Super Draft? So the top 6 are all better than this years number 1, but how deep is it and how hard should we be working to get back into the second and third rounds?
We don’t know and I still say people’s opinion is being swayed by the dearth of key forward talent this year in comparison to next years.

While I’m no expert I get the sense that if you ignore key forwards the expectations on the two drafts aren’t miles apart.

Having said that the best tassie player in a generation is coming through next year - do north have his rights on a next gen academy rort? Not sure of the rules.

We don’t know and I still say people’s opinion is being swayed by the dearth of key forward talent this year in comparison to next years.

While I’m no expert I get the sense that if you ignore key forwards the expectations on the two drafts aren’t miles apart.

Having said that the best tassie player in a generation is coming through next year - do north have his rights on a next gen academy rort? Not sure of the rules.
Is there a type of player you see us drafting?
And who is this apple of the Tassie Triangular Tiger's Eye?

People said 2017 was going to be loaded with talls because of Brander and Hayes. 2018 will see 1-2 talls go early but the best mids will still dominate the top 10-20 picks.

Next year is prime for a FA assault with a sneaky "future 2nd" special. So much value in swapping those 2nds for semi established players. Much better hit rate than the draft.

Is there a type of player you see us drafting?
And who is this apple of the Tassie Triangular Tiger's Eye?
Tarryn Thomas - a bit of a figjam apparently, but according to mates who know more about him, when you're that good it's hard not to be.

It's interesting Saints-wise next year. You'd think (if the new intake track ok) that we've taken care of the lack of speed, key defensive cover and we're only short additional elite mids.

With Sloane an UFA I wouldn't be against signing him and trading our 1st for a 2019 1st and 2018 2nd. Roll on Kelly warchest 2019 - this time the corks keep popping.

If we do draft I'd wager it would be the bare minimum and keep going at the inside/outside mids and maybe late pick/rookie a Ruck option.

Looks like a cracker at the pointy end, with Lukocious looking like he could be legitimately as good as a Riewoldt and with a similar game.

I'd say the performances he put on the board this year vastly outweighed those of the likes of Brander and Ballenden last year. Could play AFL next year easily probably. Made his senior SANFL debut in a final in September and kicked 4 goals, in from memory a losing team. The type who just plays really well week after week and can beat you in a number of ways. Endurance beast like Roo.

Rankine is apparently the youngest ever to play senior footy in the SANFL and likewise the performances he's put on the board this year were I'd say way better than what the likes of Worpel, Clark and LOB put together last year and were more like what JOM and Jack Martin were doing in their enderage years, when they were hyped off the charts.

Could have probably played senior AFL footy this year, two years early. Extraordinarily talented and freakishly skilful highlight reel. Think SPS, but even better. Only 178cm about the only knock.

Then there's Max King who sounds like another Joe Daniher type at 201cm who marks at the highest point, moves well and kicks bags of goals and his twin bro Ben, who plays mostly down back, but can also play forward and kick a bag.

Then there's the small (174cm) but exceptionally talented Ian Hill, from WA, who has the sort of speed, precise kicking, run and ball-winning that we could do with in a big way. From a needs POV, he would really fit ours big-time.

Then there's the one I reckon we'd be all over like a rash, in Sam Walsh, from the Geelong Footy Factory under Mick Turner.

He was just in the best few week after week in the TAC Cup this year and averaged 29 disposals per game, which despite being a year younger, was more than any of LDU, Dow, Brayshaw, Cerra, Clark etc did this year!

Saw a little of him in the champs and have read stuff about him and he is another who would suit our needs in a very, very big way, I reckon, as he just runs all day (saw someone say he's done a 16 beep!) but is also quick and classy/evasive/skilful and can win his own ball, but also play outside.

If he was available to us at picks 7 or 8 this year I don't reckon we would have been able to call his name out fast enough.

Is the type who may easily be gone by our pick, but with the top end being so strong, it may be that you'll actually be able to get him with a pick closer to 10, even though he's the type who would probably go top 5 in most other drafts and is probably better than Brayshaw, who of course went at 2 this year (although I reckon that was largely due to circumstances and the fact he was not seen as a flight risk).

Then there's Connor Rozzee who seems like another Cerra type, who can play midfield to a really high level, but also play forward and go really well. Looks to be every bit as good as the top 5 in this year's draft, but again because of how incredible the top end of next year's draft looks like being, may be gettable with a pick closer to 10.

And so it goes on and on...

Very likely this one lives up to the hype.

I still believe the top-end of this year's draft is fine (especially Rayner) and would be seen more favourably if the likes of Bonar, Cerra, Spargo and LDU hadn't missed so much of their underage year, but next year's top-end looks like it could be one of the very best ever. Serious, serious talent there. Judd, Hodge, Ball type talent.

A pick around 10 could be very similar to what you would have gotten with a pick around 5 in any of the last few drafts.

Last edited:
Looks like a cracker at the pointy end, with Lukocious looking like he could be legitimately as good as a Riewoldt and with a similar game.

I'd say the performances he put on the board this year vastly outweighed those of the likes of Brander and Ballenden last year. Could play AFL next year easily probably. Made his senior SANFL debut in a final in September and kicked 4 goals, in from memory a losing team. The type who just plays really well week after week and can beat you in a number of ways. Endurance beast like Roo.

Rankine is apparently the youngest ever to play senior footy in the SANFL and likewise the performances he's put on the board this year were I'd say way better than what the likes of Worpel, Clark and LOB put together last year and were more like what JOM and Jack Martin were doing in their enderage years, when they were hyped off the charts.

Could have probably played senior AFL footy this year, two years early. Extraordinarily talented and freakishly skilful highlight reel. Think SPS, but even better. Only 178cm about the only knock.

Then there's Max King who sounds like another Joe Daniher type at 201cm who marks at the highest point, moves well and kicks bags of goals and his twin bro Ben, who plays mostly down back, but can also play forward and kick a bag.

Then there's the small (174cm) but exceptionally talented Ian Hill, from WA, who has the sort of speed, precise kicking, run and ball-winning that we could do with in a big way. From a needs POV, he would really fit ours big-time.

Then there's the one I reckon we'd be all over like a rash, in Sam Walsh, from the Geelong Footy Factory under Mick Turner.

He was just in the best few week after week in the TAC Cup this year and averaged 29 disposals per game, which despite being a year younger, was more than any of LDU, Dow, Brayshaw, Cerra, Clark etc did this year!

Saw a little of him in the champs and have read stuff about him and he is another who would suit our needs in a very, very big way, I reckon, as he just runs all day (saw someone say he's done a 16 beep!) but is also quick and classy/evasive/skilful and can win his own ball, but also play outside.

If he was available to us at picks 7 or 8 this year I don't reckon we would have been able to call his name out fast enough.

Is the type who may easily be gone by our pick, but with the top end being so strong, it may be that you'll actually be able to get him with a pick closer to 10, even though he's the type who would probably go top 5 in most other drafts and is probably better than Brayshaw, who of course went at 2 this year (although I reckon that was largely due to circumstances and the fact he was not seen as a flight risk).

Then there's Connor Rozzee who seems like another Cerra type, who can play midfield to a really high level, but also play forward and go really well. Looks to be every bit as good as the top 5 in this year's draft, but again because of how incredible the top end of next year's draft looks like being, may be gettable with a pick closer to 10.

And so it goes on and on...

Very likely this one lives up to the hype.

I still believe the top-end of this year's draft is fine (especially Rayner) and would be seen more favourably if the likes of Bonar, Cerra, Spargo and LDU hadn't missed so much of their underage year, but next year's top-end looks like it could be one of the very best ever. Serious, serious talent there.

A pick around 10 could be very similar to what you would have gotten with a pick around 5 in any of the last few drafts.

ripping write up. ian hill looks amazing!!!

ripping write up. ian hill looks amazing!!!
Yeah he's bloody good. Small, but I don't think that will matter, as he just finds so much of the ball and has the speed and skill to punish you when he has it.

Him, Rankine and Walsh are the ones I'm most familiar with who I'd say would suit our needs the most.

James Sziller might give it a whirl but will be 20 next year.

I think Jimmy will be happy in the VFL. That is his standard. And nothing wrong with that. Think He may go to Fragga next season.

As for the draft next season I heard Brett Anderson say if they were allowed to draft first year TAC players only one or two of this years crop would have gone top 10 next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back