Jim Maxwell has lost the plot

Remove this Banner Ad

All the ABC colour guys are very similar sounding and pretty boring these days. Nannes, Rogers, Katich are all a similar age too and went through the system at the same time.

Compare that to the guys they had a decade ago, Kerry O'Keefe, Peter Roebuck, Fleming (although he's become a parody of himself these days), Lawson. All had different backgrounds, voices and opinions. You'd actually look forward to different pairings. These days it really doesn't matter who's in there.

A lot of Dockers fans on Bigfooty dislike him I've noticed.

Footy fans have long memories. :D

No fans hold bigger/longer grudges than Freo fans!

Regardless of the fact he hates your head coach he is far and away the best broadcaster in Australia across both AFL and Cricket.

I've always been amazed at how thin-skinned Ross was with Whateley over that article, I mean the bloke did go behind the back of his club and his management team, so what did he expect?

Whateley went totally overboard, he described Lyon's move as "deceitful, duplicitous and distasteful", made some untrue claims (that Lyon didn't speak to his players which was untrue, he personally went a met with the key guys) and just generally went overboard. It wasn't just the article, it was also on radio and on 360.

I think he was just shocked Freo pulled off such a coup but part of the problem was that Whatley is one of the more articulate guys in the media and in the emotion of the moment (WA team stealing a coach from a Victorian team) he got carried away.

I still like Whateley though

I've always been amazed at how thin-skinned Ross was with Whateley over that article, I mean the bloke did go behind the back of his club and his management team, so what did he expect?

Mark Harvey and Lyon had the same manager, so Lyon had to do the deal himself to avoid his manager having a massive conflict of interest. It was obvious to any person that thought it through, but not to Whately who acted like Lyon had killed a small child and some kittens. Lyon had a clause in his contract that St Kilda had agreed to and he activated it. Football is a professional business.

As Gerard Whateley himself said at the launch of Chip le Grand's book about the Essendon supplements scandal, "I propose there were three forms of journalism at play: the superficial, the vengeful and the investigative. Only the third has held up to scrutiny. A man can have his own opinion but he can’t have his own facts". Whateley's article about Lyon was superficial and vengeful.

I have since seen Whateley dismiss concerns about Damien Oliver's character after he bet $10 000 on a different horse to the one he was riding on. He criticized the handling of it by the authorities, but was careful not to go overboard with his criticism of Oliver. What Oliver did was disgraceful and should have seen him banned for years. In other countries, he would have been jailed.

As I said, Whateley plays favourites and it takes away from his obvious ability as a broadcaster.

Last edited:
I have since seen Whateley dismiss concerns about Damien Oliver's character after he bet $10 000 on a different horse to the one he was riding on. He criticized the handling of it by the authorities, but was careful not to go overboard with his criticism of Oliver. What Oliver did was disgraceful and should have seen him banned for years. In other countries, he would have been jailed.

Australian horse racing long since stopped even pretending to be legimate and above board

Australian horse racing long since stopped even pretending to be legimate and above board

I hate horse racing and anybody associated with it and don't care how corrupt it is to be honest. Just using Whateley's attitude to really poor behavior and his perceived idea of poor behavior.

All the ABC colour guys are very similar sounding and pretty boring these days. Nannes, Rogers, Katich are all a similar age too and went through the system at the same time.

Compare that to the guys they had a decade ago, Kerry O'Keefe, Peter Roebuck, Fleming (although he's become a parody of himself these days), Lawson. All had different backgrounds, voices and opinions. You'd actually look forward to different pairings. These days it really doesn't matter who's in there.

I would never look forward to Lawson.

I have never been a huge fan of Jim Maxwell and I can't stand the way everyone at the ABC grovel to him so much (oh you are the sound of summer Jim!). He is OK but is starting to make a few mistakes, I noticed the other day he called Stuart Broad Chris Broad and Shaun Marsh Mitch Marsh. I'm not sure if it's a direct result of his stroke or just old age setting in. Maybe it is time for him to retire.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he was just shocked Freo pulled off such a coup but part of the problem was that Whatley is one of the more articulate guys in the media and in the emotion of the moment (WA team stealing a coach from a Victorian team) he got carried away.

I still like Whateley though

Lulza. You don't really think that, do you?

lol Whateley couldn't give two shits where Freo got their coach from, but Ross stabbed his existing club, his manager and a fellow coach in the back so should have been expecting to get called out on it.

Yeah I'm sure if he'd gone from WC to Geelong in the same circumstances Whateley would have had the same reaction...

Always rued the day Glenn Mitchell fell out with the ABC. I enjoyed his commentary more than Maxwell's commentary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back