Pielebo’s top 25 POTENTIAL stars (the sequel 10 years on)

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
I thought I’d give it another go. Put myself out there for the barrage of abuse, but hopefully have a few agree and most engage in a healthy discussion.

This is the list of the top 25 potential superstars and unlike 10 years ago, I’ll mention the criteria which is -
Players under the age of 21 and having already played a handful of AFL games.

It is obviously weighted towards potential stardom, more so than exposed form thus far. But that plays a big hand in how I may rate them.

Let me know what you think.

The 25 to 11 list -

25, M Kennedy (Carlton)

24, R Clarke (North)

23, J Silvagni (Carlton)

22, C Marchbank (Carlton)

21, B Keays (Lions)

20, J Hopper (GWS)

19, H Andrews (Lions)

18, J Dunkley (Dogs)

17, L Duggan (WCE)

16, SPP (Port)

15, R Mathieson (Lions)

14, J Weitering (Carlton)

13, B Fiorini (GCS)

12, H McCluggage (Lions)

11, D Parish (Dons)

aaaaand the top 10 -

10, A Witherden (Lions)

9, J Gresham (StK)

8, R Burton (Hawks)

7, SPS (Carlton)

6, C Mills (Swans)

5, D Rioli (Tigers)

4, C Curnow (Carlton)

3, A McGrath (Dons)

2, E Hipwood (Lions)

1, C Oliver (Dees)

Honourable mentions, apologies and considering I’m just not a scout or recruiter, I didn’t know enough to put these guys in my top 25 -

B Hardwick, H McKay, D Houston, A Francis, C Ah Chee, J Simpkin, J Schache, Z Guthrie, T Taranto, J Parsons, J Berry.

3/12/17 EDIT - Will Taranto omission come back to bite me on the arse?

Last edited by a moderator:

I thought I’d give it another go. Put myself out there for the barrage of abuse, but hopefully have a few agree and most engage in a healthy discussion.

This is the list of the top 25 potential superstars and unlike 10 years ago, I’ll mention the criteria which is -
Players under the age of 21 and having already played a handful of AFL games.

It is obviously weighted towards potential stardom, more so than exposed form thus far. But that plays a big hand in how I may rate them.

Let me know what you think.

The 25 to 11 list -

25, M Kennedy

24, R Clarke

23, J Silvagni

22, C Marchbank

21, B Keays

20, J Hopper

19, H Andrews

18, J Dunkley

17, L Duggan

16, SPP

15, R Mathieson

14, J Weitering

13, B Fiorini

12, H McCluggage

11, D Parish

aaaaand the top 10 -

10, A Witherden

9, J Gresham

8, R Burton

7, SPS

6, C Mills

5, D Rioli

4, C Curnow

3, A McGrath

2, E Hipwood

1, C Oliver

Honourable mentions, apologies and considering I’m just not a scout or recruiter, I didn’t know enough to put these guys in my top 25 -

B Hardwick, H McKay, D Houston, A Francis, C Ah Chee, J Simpkin, J Schache, Z Guthrie, T Taranto, J Parsons, J Berry.

Nice effort but for numpties like me , are you able to edit and put their team names against them so I know who they all are.

I doubt even North fans would rate Clarke that high, his ceiling appears to be a b-grade midfield accumulator, nice list though.

I would personally put Simpkin in before Clarke.

12/25 spread between Carlton and Brisbane. I’m happy with that.
Only realised that now, but I’m purely going by players 20 years and younger who’ve played and look the goods. It’s going to be the bottom sides who’ve exposed these players more, thus the skewed numbers towards Blues and Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only realised that now, but I’m purely going by players 20 years and younger who’ve played and look the goods. It’s going to be the bottom sides who’ve exposed these players more, thus the skewed numbers towards Blues and Lions.
Pretty grim for the Suns considering they're the other team in the bottom 3 and they only have 1.

Pretty grim for the Suns considering they're the other team in the bottom 3 and they only have 1.
Ainsworth and Joyce look okay. With GCS, there’s Miller, Wright, Kolodjashnij and Martin who are still pretty young too.

It’s actually not a bad list but Rioli is way too high imo

Edit - I would have Taranto in the actual list too
Taranto should be top 10.

Watch out for Gallucci too. Will play plenty of games in 2018, with Cameron leaving.

Would agree that Blakely and Taranto should be in there - would probably have them in at the expense of Clarke and Kennedy. Although I think both have a higher ceiling than Silvagni, but I get the reasoning if you've tried to not make it midfield-heavy.

edit: Sorry, just saw your age limit. Fair enough on Blakely then, but he still definitely doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back