Each club's biggest first round draft flops

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d have Gumbleton ahead of Wheildon personally. Of the next 11 selections 9 were still in the system in 2017, two are club captains and 4 of those 9 were KPP’s that played in premiership teams. Games wise it’s one of the best top 10’s ever with a current average across the board of 146 games per player and Essendon got just 35 out of him.

From the pick freo gave us for Gumbleton we took Fantasia - a worthy investment imho

Indeed. He was like Ian Aitken, who could have been anything. His jaw was shattered by a certain Hawthorn Coach. He came back, but has lost his edge and left after struggling towards 50 games.
Mind you, Vance did have a few other issues. But after his injury he'd had enough of the hypercompetitive nature of AFL footy. He just wanted to play with his mates and have a few beers afterwards.

Vance was very casual about his footy. Top bloke, footy isn't everything for everyone.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rory Hilton (pick 3) was a howler for Brisbane. Went on to play 80 odd games for Richmond but played just 9 for the Lions over two seasons. Was also injury ravaged but in terms of return from a pick 3 it was a disaster.

Like Mitch Thorpe his ego didn't match his output. Still remember watching him taking awesome hangers for the Murray Bushrangers.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tambling was actually playing half decent footy for the Crows before he got delisted. He wasn't nearly as horrible as his reputation suggests but for the price the Crows paid in picks and salary it was a pretty horrible deal. I'd say it was the 2nd worst trade we ever did behind Carey.

Griffen was also taken ahead of Franklin at 3 wasn't he? Griffen is by no means a star either, good footballer but nothing more, Tambling whilst not the greatest, he had constant issues with his legs/shins, was wearing shin splints for a lot of the time that nobody knew about.

I don't like defending Griffen, but he is an All Australian, best and fairest winner and was regularly our best finals performer. He is washed up, but he was a gun. Tambling isn't in the same league.

Off the top of my head:

Richmond is jarrod oakley nicholls by the length of the flemington atraight.
Gws is either orourke at #2 or sumner
Gold coast would be schade or garlett
Bulldogs is grant
Brisbane is schade just on the fact that two years later they got sfa for him. Otherwise aish
Melbourne is gysberts or toumpos
Essendon is gumby
Collingwood is freeman
Carlton boekhurst, lucas and menzel

Ok with this in mind lets try and predict this years (dont get defensive just a bit of fun and yes we know they havnt played a game yet)

I reckon will powell may be a complete swing and miss whilst i have doubts over naughtin aswell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok with this in mind lets try and predict this years (dont get defensive just a bit of fun and yes we know they havnt played a game yet)

I reckon will powell may be a complete swing and miss whilst i have doubts over naughtin aswell

I onviouslt hope he isnt but just to familiar to the mistajes we have made in the past for my liking

AT least we turned Tambling into a premiership player:
In 2010 traded Bling to Adelaide for End of first round compensation pick (Nathan Brock compo) & draft pick #51
In 2011 traded compensation draft pick (end of first round) to GC for draft pick No. 26 & compensation draft pick (second round)
In 2012 Drafted Kamdyn McIntosh with the second round compensation pick.

"At least we turned Tambling into a premiership player"

And we didn't turn Griffen into one? The wording of your post and what it replies to directly implies that. To let you know, we did, in a far more direct way than your convoluted nonsense.

Jesus you have a short memory or really have no idea who we traded Griffen for.

P.S. To follow your line of thinking GWS thank you for their captain and we thank you for Jack Macrae. Hope McMahon was worth it. Actually wait... using your logic he was. He stopped you from picking Scully or Trengove and got you Martin. Everyone wins but Melbourne... Lol!

Last edited:
"At least we turned Tambling into a premiership player"

And we didn't turn Griffen into one? The wording of your post and what it replies to directly implies that. To let you know, we did, in a far more direct way than your convoluted nonsense.

Jesus you have a short memory or really have no idea who we traded Griffen for.

P.S. To follow your line of thinking GWS thank you for their captain and we thank you for Jack Macrae. Hope McMahon was worth it. Actually wait... using your logic he was. He stopped you from picking Scully or Trengove and got you Martin. Everyone wins but Melbourne... Lol!
Very long bow, I made no reference Griffen who I actually rate.

I have never seen Powell play but I doubt very much that Naughton doesn't play 100+ games injury permitting.

I hate to mention this - but Richard Lounder.

Sure JON was a complete disaster - but he was a project, and afterwards West Coast gave him a second chance (no good there, either).

Lounder was guaranteed-Number 1-can't miss.

He missed big time. And nobody else even considered him again.
As mentioned Tambling is the lazy mans option as far as picking first rnd flops (we've had more than our fair share). I also agree that Lounder is very bad, but I'd argue back in 1987 the draft concept was new and many clubs including us didn't know what they were doing. Even the pre-season draft was bigger than the national draft back then.

With Tambling he was a flop, but at the time any club would have picked him at pick 4 if in the same situation.

JON is the biggest howler because we picked him when no other club really rated him highly to start with. And the reason we picked him so high? Because he was handing his resume at draft camp (draft combine as it is known now). Though to be fair he tested well athletically at the draft camp, but it was obvious he was going to struggle to put on muscle and didn't have great football skills. We clearly decided we were going after athletes rather than footballers.

Last edited:
Surely Luke Livingston at pick 4 for Carlton would have rival Vance for their worst pick
Correct.

Also more recently but before SOS:

Boekhorst
Watson
Yarran
Lucas
Menzel
Russell

(Bootsma was a second round pick though the first Carlton pick that year).

I have never seen Powell play but I doubt very much that Naughton doesn't play 100+ games injury permitting.

I guess time will tell but prettu much every club supporter says they expect their first round pick to play 100games but. Reality is every chance they wont!

I guess time will tell but prettu much every club supporter says they expect their first round pick to play 100games but. Reality is every chance they wont!
Not a Dogs supporter so no vested interest in this one. Looks very comfortable at WAFL level already so he'd have to already peaked to not make the cut. Could happen but I don't think so.

It wasn’t talent for Thorpe or Roach or Wheildon either yet they all made the list. Unfortunately it was a bomb selection and given what went around him it’s your clubs worst, IMO.

Kepler Bradley was worse, talented but injury prone >> fit but s**t.

Scully and McLean I reckon are both better than Sylvia. Scully just ****ed off and annoyed you guys. Jacks also a good footballer with a horrible history of injuries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back