The 'Gabba (Brisbane Cricket Ground)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just read somewhere that the GABBA next year is likely to not host a test match in similar circumstances to the WACA in late 2014 thanks to Perth Stadium opening soon

Just read somewhere that the GABBA next year is likely to not host a test match in similar circumstances to the WACA in late 2014 thanks to Perth Stadium opening soon
(A) It's "The 'Gabba" - it's an abbreviation or just a name, not an acronym (Great Amazing Big Ballsport Arena?)
(B) what circumstances would those be? A tight summer due to a World Cup?
(C) where is "somewhere", so we can read it too?

(A) It's "The 'Gabba" - it's an abbreviation or just a name, not an acronym (Great Amazing Big Ballsport Arena?)
(B) what circumstances would those be? A tight summer due to a World Cup?
(C) where is "somewhere", so we can read it too?

Brisbane cricket ground nicknamed the Gabba due to the suburb it is located in. Woolangaba. Like how we call our annual show the ekka we are a little different up here.

Brisbane cricket ground nicknamed the Gabba due to the suburb it is located in. Woolangaba. Like how we call our annual show the ekka we are a little different up here.
Yes but it's The 'Gabba not The GABBA. As I said it's a name not an acronym, so it only needs one capital letter.

Well thanks for being an arse no my fault you choked this year.
I'm not sure how I was the arse? You're the one who explained to me why the ground is called the Gabba when I didn't even ask.

And my GF performance was woeful. Worst on field. Tex was so upset with me. Not that it has anything to do with this discussion.

Essentially it looks like they'll host Sri Lanka later in the summer next year instead of India, as they're now deemed the 2nd worst of the mainstream cricket grounds in the country (behind Blundstone Arena).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...r/news-story/fb77a33d6e52e831373d4959576b4bbf
Interestingly not mentioned is the wish of Qld Cricket to host more D/N Tests - which is what moved the ground from first Test of the summer status last year.
It has fallen behind though.

I find it hard to believe they will take a test away from the gabba.
Can't have two tests in Sydney. Canberra or Hobart wouldn't be well. May as well leave it where it is if that's the case.
They're not. They're talking about not giving the Gabba the opening Test of the summer against India and giving them a later one against a lower-drawing opponent. Canberra will get their maiden Test next year and probably rotate/fight with Hobart.

I have always found the Gabba to be in a bit of a tough spot to get to. Lack of public transport. Hopefully Cross River Rail gets built and improves this.

Not a bad little ploy by CA. Playing the grounds against each other. Not sure if we will see any major upgrades to the Gabba any time soon.

I have always found the Gabba to be in a bit of a tough spot to get to. Lack of public transport. Hopefully Cross River Rail gets built and improves this.

Not a bad little ploy by CA. Playing the grounds against each other. Not sure if we will see any major upgrades to the Gabba any time soon.
It's a mixture of a ploy and CA doing what they feel is best for themselves. Firstly why would they not put an India series at the four biggest venues (MCG, PS, AO, SCG)? Secondly those that do go to a lower-attended Test at the Gabba will find it easier to get to when not fighting for limited transport resources with as many people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the Queensland government is battling to get the new Gold Coast trains online, I can't see the Cross River Rail getting built anytime soon.

Why only a 4 test seriesv India?

India series have been 4 tests since 2003

We usually have a separate 2 test series to make it 6 tests over the summer (2014 was the exception because of the World Cup). That series is against lower ranked sides like Zimbabwe and New Zealand generally.

India series have been 4 tests since 2003

We usually have a separate 2 test series to make it 6 tests over the summer (2014 was the exception because of the World Cup). That series is against lower ranked sides like Zimbabwe and New Zealand generally.
I wonder why tho
do india do 4 tests series v everyone?

Essentially it looks like they'll host Sri Lanka later in the summer next year instead of India, as they're now deemed the 2nd worst of the mainstream cricket grounds in the country (behind Blundstone Arena).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...r/news-story/fb77a33d6e52e831373d4959576b4bbf
Watching cricket atm Ian Chappell said Adelaide will host 2019 Australia Test against India being the 4th test since India only want to play 4 test which means Perth will be 3rd test Sydney 2nd test and Melbourne 1st test on Boxing Day with Sri Lanka playing in Brisbane which will be a Day Nighter to get a crowd and Canberra to host other test

Best think for the Gabba to get Test Status back pull the ground down start again build a Multi purpose stadium with a Roof sitting 50k which means no cricket or AFL for 3 years and fix Transport and Car Parking to make it easy to get there so Qld Government need to find 500 Million to do it

Watching cricket atm Ian Chappell said Adelaide will host 2019 Australia Test against India being the 4th test since India only want to play 4 test which means Perth will be 3rd test Sydney 2nd test and Melbourne 1st test on Boxing Day with Sri Lanka playing in Brisbane which will be a Day Nighter to get a crowd and Canberra to host other test
Wonder if they'll play D/N in Adelaide still? Given it's more "holidays" than early December is, I'd say the time-difference into India will be a strong influence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back