Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

sbyiYhsV.jpg

Jake Lloyd

Player Profile

Jake Lloyd is a ball magnet, an endurance machine, a clean user of the footy and a calming influence on the Sydney Swans’ half-back line. The former rookie-listed Swan averaged 27.22 disposals per match between 2016 and 2019 and won the club’s 2018 Bob Skilton Medal. Lloyd became the quickest Swan in history to reach 100 senior games when he ran out against Hawthorn at the MCG in Round 8, 2018. He was then recognised as one of the best players in the league when he was selected for Victoria in the State of Origin match for bushfire relief in February 2019. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Jake Lloyd

DOB: 20 September 1993
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Horsham Demons (Vic)/North Ballarat U18

Last edited:
Been rewatching quite a few Swans games from this year and I forgot how good Jake Lloyd was this year. Like even better than his second place in the B&F would suggest. He's an actual star now and we MUST resign him.

Yep and as I repeat ad nauseum, he would have made a huge difference in either of the games against Hawthorn.

Interesting re-reading this thread

2015 - Spud
2016 - Role Player
2017 - Crucial
2018 - Top 3 B & F

I shudder at the thought of the houses that have been trained down.

2015 - Spud
2016 - Role Player
2017 - Crucial
2018 - Top 3 B & F

FWIW I've been impressed with him since day one. We throw the word 'gun' around on here a lot but to me that's exactly what he is

2015 - Spud
2016 - Role Player
2017 - Crucial
2018 - Top 3 B & F

And then if he doesn't re-sign he is a spud again :p

2015 - Spud
2016 - Role Player
2017 - Crucial
2018 - Top 3 B & F

He’s already been top 3 in the b&f...

2015 - Spud
2016 - Role Player
2017 - Crucial
2018 - Top 3 B & F

I never thought he was a spud, to me he always looked like he had "it", but looked a bit too timid to make the step up. Very glad he proved me wrong.

And then if he doesn't re-sign he is a spud again :p

I have liked him from debut to be honest.

Total fanboi here

But if he leaves I will seriously text him like I did to the guy who sold me a non-laying chicken

upload_2017-12-6_9-44-31.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say something nice please. He was runner up in the Bob Skilton Medal. He should have won it in my opinion as I believe he was definitely, without doubt, our best all year. This kid just improves every year. Why? Because he puts in the extra effort.

and if he could stick a tackle he would of won it.

very impressed with every other aspect of his game. I didn't think he had the improvement he has shown in him.

Don't you feel a bit stupid now. You ought to. I don't know where you learned Aussie Rules footy but it must have been at Richmond in the 1970's. Everyone there was a spud except the coach, Tom Hafey. Strangely they won a few premierships, '67,'69, '73 come to mind. What would it take for you to become a fan? Should he cut off his leg? Get on the floor and do the Mecca thing?

This kid was always going to be a good player and any GOOD & DISCERNING judge of footy could see this. I really loathe it when people start putting our players down like this, especially when it is not true or fair comment just put down for the sake of it. If you could not see the potential even in 2015 then you are a rotten judge of footy stocks.

he is right that he is not elite and will never be.

very impressed with every other aspect of his game. I didn't think he had the improvement he has shown in him.
He is not there to stick a tackle.
He is one the few outside exit players we have & he is far tougher, resilient & more consistent than Jetta ever was & he has a tank second to none on game day which is a different climate to the training track.

Along with Rampe, for a rookie pick up he is our best value player on the list ATM & deserves to be financially remunerated accordingly.

He is not there to stick a tackle.
He is one the few outside exit players we have & he is far tougher, resilient & more consistent than Jetta ever was & he has a tank second to none on game day which is a different climate to the training track.

Along with Rampe, for a rookie pick up he is our best value player on the list ATM & deserves to be financially remunerated accordingly.

I defer to you superior insight into the game where defenders aren't required to tackle...

I defer to you superior insight into the game where defenders aren't required to tackle...
So you want him to lay the tackle, flick the ball out to himself to pinpoint a way out? Sheesh.

He can't be an outside player AND be made to tackle everything too. His job isn't to tackle. His job is to be the link in the chain and create spread/space.

he is right that he is not elite and will never be.

I remember our arguments about Lloyd back when you had a different username, I’d like to take this opportunity to say I told you so.

Jake had a fabulous season in 2017. He can find and use the ball.

In our structure, I prefer him on the wing and Callum Mills on HBF

he played the entire 2017 in defence. didn't play on the wing at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back