Peter "Butters" Handscomb

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
As good as Handscomb's test career start was there was always a feeling his technique could get exposed once the international cricket community had more exposure to him.

I don't think it's a matter of retraining his technique because at his age it's just too ingrained. You can make small changes here and there but mass changes at this stage of his career rarely works. You can often completely destroy blokes when you try this. Most of them are unknown batsmen languishing in grade cricket around the country who made a vain attempt to change things up so they could take the next step but only ended up regressing. I think he's just gotta back in the technique that got him this far and work his way through.

He has become the first batsmen on the chopping block if a replacement were to come in.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Mitch Marsh supposedly a likely replacement. FMD.

If they were proactive enough with the dropping of Renshaw (which I felt was relatively early based on history) then Handscomb should be out.

Dunno if id bat Maxwell at 5 or 6 though.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Mitch Marsh supposedly a likely replacement. FMD.

If they were proactive enough with the dropping of Renshaw (which I felt was relatively early based on history) then Handscomb should be out.

Dunno if id bat Maxwell at 5 or 6 though.

If we select Mitch Marsh, I have nothing to say. Definitely not a Test-class #6 from what I've seen, plus he hasn't even been bowling that much recently.

I'd like someone like Maxwell at #7, but I don't trust Paine to bat #6, so #6 it would be. He's been in good form recently so he should cope OK.

They'll probably give Handscomb another shot, but he's looked very uncomfortable during this series and his recent form hasn't been all that.

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
Mitch not bowling in shield So he should not be picked on his test batting ave.(2 up will not change )
Steve O'Keefe has served his penalties , so he will be rushed back into the squad for melb and sydneyyyyyyyyyy
In top form, got 1 wicket @4.81 and scored 52 & 8 against the mighty tigers :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

As good as Handscomb's test career start was there was always a feeling his technique could get exposed once the international cricket community had more exposure to him.

I don't think it's a matter of retraining his technique because at his age it's just too ingrained. You can make small changes here and there but mass changes at this stage of his career rarely works. You can often completely destroy blokes when you try this. Most of them are unknown batsmen languishing in grade cricket around the country who made a vain attempt to change things up so they could take the next step but only ended up regressing. I think he's just gotta back in the technique that got him this far and work his way through.

He has become the first batsmen on the chopping block if a replacement were to come in.

Would be interesting to see what happened if he simply went a metre, even a metre and a half forward and then played back from there, from the outside it seems like he makes himself far less of a sitting duck if he starts with his back foot on the crease instead of his front. Can still play back from there, just not ridiculously far back. Nothing wrong with favouring the back foot in defence.

I suspect his technique is still very much viable. it's what got him into the side, he's had success with it and it pretty much eliminates the cordon as a form of dismissal so it does have that going for it.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
If we select Mitch Marsh, I have nothing to say. Definitely not a Test-class #6 from what I've seen, plus he hasn't even been bowling that much recently.

I'd like someone like Maxwell at #7, but I don't trust Paine to bat #6, so #6 it would be. He's been in good form recently so he should cope OK.

They'll probably give Handscomb another shot, but he's looked very uncomfortable during this series and his recent form hasn't been all that.
Mitch Marsh isn't going to play.

The fact that we're 2-0 means Handscomb gets a lifeline. Maxwell clearly next in given its a middle order spot and the MCG and the SCG will be more spin friendly.
Boys

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
what the *

This is a bad move for the Australian cricket team and a bad move for Marsh who needs to actually put together a few good seasons on is own to build actual confidence.

FFS selectors. This better just be having him as 12th man because the test is in Perth anyway.

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't post s**t like this. It's embarrassing. Tried and failed at test level.
2 tests in foreign conditions is what you call tried? He has a better average, strike rate & economy rate then Lyon. Outside of his beginners luck Lyon took 3 wickets @ 87 for the rest of his 1st tour (8 @38 with that 1st innings) which isn't that indifferent to 5 @54.

Holland deserves another go at some point

Mitch not bowling in shield So he should not be picked on his test batting ave.(2 up will not change )
Steve O'Keefe has served his penalties , so he will be rushed back into the squad for melb and sydneyyyyyyyyyy
In top form, got 1 wicket @4.81 and scored 52 & 8 against the mighty tigers :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
He's bowled the last 2 or 3 games mate.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
2 tests in foreign conditions is what you call tried? He has a better average, strike rate & economy rate then Lyon. Outside of his beginners luck Lyon took 3 wickets @ 87 for the rest of his 1st tour (8 @38 with that 1st innings) which isn't that indifferent to 5 @54.

Holland deserves another go at some point
You are tripping mate. Holland is about as good as Bryce McGain. Mentioning him in the same sentence as Gaz is an insult to Gaz.

Holland's a good bowler. At FC level. As was McGain. Nothing wrong with that, it means you're a very good cricketer (don't anyone pretend otherwise). He'll probably be the leading spinner in the Shield again this year. However he's simply not up to international cricket.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Peter Handscomb's technique should not be considered a defect but he needs to review footage from his successful debut Test season to regain form, according to selector Mark Waugh.

The Australian number five appears set to be spared the axe but his spot is under scrutiny after a lean start to the Ashes, having also scored just two half-centuries from this year's Test tours of India and Bangladesh.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-...e-not-the-problem-says-selector-waugh/9240512

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Handscomb averaged 26 in his 3 FC matches prior to this series, is averaging 21 in the Ashes - in a positive he did manage around 34 in the subcontinent this year, but while that's fairly forgivable for a young Australian batsman on the subcontinent, it's hardly world-beating.

His career average is boosted by destroying Pakistan on home soil.

I think he should get another match. But the whinging victimhood stance taken by his supporters is ridiculous - his career average should mean * all when he's had a clear run of lower scores and has shown signs of 'being worked out'. Doesn't mean he has been or is a lost cause or needs to drastically change his technique, but if this clear trend continues he will be out of the side very soon.

Lynnsanity

All Australian
Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Handscomb averaged 26 in his 3 FC matches prior to this series, is averaging 21 in the Ashes - in a positive he did manage around 34 in the subcontinent this year, but while that's fairly forgivable for a young Australian batsman on the subcontinent, it's hardly world-beating.

His career average is boosted by destroying Pakistan on home soil.

I think he should get another match. But the whinging victimhood stance taken by his supporters is ridiculous - his career average should mean **** all when he's had a clear run of lower scores and has shown signs of 'being worked out'. Doesn't mean he has been or is a lost cause or needs to drastically change his technique, but if this clear trend continues he will be out of the side very soon.

His average was also boosted by a few not outs which had the Vics claiming we had the second coming of Bradman on our hands

His technique is actually more suited to the sub continent which is why he didn’t completely balls it up over in India. He would have had more time to play the spin and playing of the back foot is more helpful in those conditions. But against any hint of swing, seam or full bowling against decent opposition and he looks like a pub cricketer.

If Handscomb was not Victorian, the Victorians on this forum would have called for his dropping immediately after that clueless innings he played in the second test. FACT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynnsanity

All Australian
Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I just wish for one year at least that everyone would put state alliances to the side for the benefit of the national side and just get behind the team as a whole as politics seems to have found its way into a few of the Australian National sporting teams over the last couple of years and just becomes toxic and halts our progress on the national stage. State alliance is also the reason it’s hard to take any opinions seriously when you have the Vics trying to push Jon Holland’s claims when let’s face it, we will never play 2 spinners in the same match unless it’s on a Bunsen burner in the sub continent. This was also the same mob that fed us the propaganda that Travis Dean was going to be this next great batsman that would be opening for Australia and a mere 6 months later is on the verge of being dropped from the side that is 0-5 and he languishing dead last on the ladder.

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
I just wish for one year at least that everyone would put state alliances to the side for the benefit of the national side and just get behind the team as a whole as politics seems to have found its way into a few of the Australian National sporting teams over the last couple of years and just becomes toxic and halts our progress on the national stage. State alliance is also the reason it’s hard to take any opinions seriously when you have the Vics trying to push Jon Holland’s claims when let’s face it, we will never play 2 spinners in the same match unless it’s on a Bunsen burner in the sub continent. This was also the same mob that fed us the propaganda that Travis Dean was going to be this next great batsman that would be opening for Australia and a mere 6 months later is on the verge of being dropped from the side that is 0-5 and he languishing dead last on the ladder.

So you are going to put aside your clear dislike for everything Victorian then?

Back