Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a Thomas replacement?

We do. He's mostly best 22 still. He's not vital to the side (or in our weekly bests) like Simpson or Murphy though.

Defensively Im happy. We have Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman, Jones as stable talls, and Byrne, Williamson, Simpson and Mullet as rebounding defenders (no Docherty due to injury). Rowe and ASOS provide back-up (as does Macreadie).

Mids we look shaky on with Murphy, E Curnow and (still reasonably inexperienced) Cripps, plus Dow, Fisher, Polson, SPS, Kennedy (around a 10 game average there among them). Graham provides backup.

We're still a few years away from really identifying gaps. I reckon we're still 2 elite mids away from a class midfield. Arguably 1 mid down if Dow becomes an elite player.

Last season we got into winning positions in about 60% of our matches.

We're going to be a dangerous team, even without Gibbs and Docherty.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

5 wins would be an absolute disaster for our club and Bolton.

5 wins would mean we have gone backwards not only from our 6 win season this year but our 7 win season in 2016.

5 wins will massively hurt our ability to climb the membership ladder, will see us stripped again of prime time games and will make it harder to attract serious sponsor money.

Its not about wins and losses, its about how we play.

There are no internal expectations on Bolton. The club know where we're at. Next year is a development year. Nothing more and nothing less.

We do. He's mostly best 22 still. He's not vital to the side (or in our weekly bests) like Simpson or Murphy though.

Very debatable.

Played 18 games in 2017 but I'll be very surprised if he gets close to that in 2018.

Admire his professionalism and I have no qualms about keeping him on another year, but I think you're overestimating how difficult it'll be to find an on-field replacement for him.

It's madness to lump him in with Murphy and Simpson on that front.

A

There are no internal expectations on Bolton. The club know where we're at. Next year is a development year. Nothing more and nothing less.

Agree 2018 & 2019 will be development years, finals expectations will be raging 2020 onwards.
We'll be amongest the best for a long time , team culture & foundations have been renewed and are strong.
It's taken the hammering of two decades to finally bring us around.
Silvagni and Bolton are amazing .

A

Agree 2018 & 2019 will be development years, finals ambitions will be firming 2020 onwards.
We'll be amongest the better times for a long time , as foundation have been renewed and will be strong.
It's taken the hammering of two decades to finally bring us around.
Silvagni and Bolton are amazing .

Ditto.

Just gotta be patient and look for the signs. We're a young list and have only really just been assembled.

A few years development in us at least.

I'll be shocked if we aren't bottom 4 next year. Expecting the ride up the ladder to start 2019. Hopefully we can get a decent free agent or 2 in 2019/20 we have had to 'earn' our draft picks we need some freebies through FA.

Do not believe that for a second. Should we finish in the bottom couple of places again, then questions will most certainly be asked about BB. From the board, the media and the fans. And before you jump down my throat, I fully well understand the whole list rebuild etc etc.

Do not believe that for a second. Should we finish in the bottom couple of places again, then questions will most certainly be asked about BB. From the board, the media and the fans.

From the fans. From a small group of impatient fans that still dont understand what the club is doing despite them being as clear as day about it.

We could finish dead last and the club wont care (internally) unless there is some kind of massive player discontent, and we're getting flogged every week (where we landed with Malthouse and Pagan).

Odin himself couldnt couch a team full of kids into the finals. Not going to happen. Club knows it. This year is about development and improving KPIs (just like last year). Wins and losses dont matter.

Do not believe that for a second. Should we finish in the bottom couple of places again, then questions will most certainly be asked about BB. From the board, the media and the fans. And before you jump down my throat, I fully well understand the whole list rebuild etc etc.

I am sure some board members may question Bolton, the impatient arrogant ones and no doubt the media will come at him, as will supporters, but he seems to have a strong belief as to what it will take long term to suceed and that will be enough for the right people to back him

Last season we got into winning positions in about 60% of our matches.

We're going to be a dangerous team, even without Gibbs and Docherty.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Agree. Playing the kids brings inconsistency but they held it together in most games last year. If they put it together in a game we can beat anyone.

Bolton and Co have done a brilliant job so far keeping the side competitive whilst still developing. Very underrated what has been achieved. 2018 is the year where the reliance on Murphy Curnow Simpson Kruezer starts to shift and the kids start taking over. I expect Cripps Weitering Marchbank Plowman Kennedy to take more of a leadership role on game day and mostly by example.

There is genuine "elite" talent in Charlie SPS Dow Pickett Weitering Marchbank maybe McKay, and the rest aren't bad either. It's as good as any list in the comp. It's just about being in games and getting games into these kids. In a year or so watch out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the fans. From a small group of impatient fans that still dont understand what the club is doing despite them being as clear as day about it.

We could finish dead last and the club wont care (internally) unless there is some kind of massive player discontent, and we're getting flogged every week (where we landed with Malthouse and Pagan).

Only ODN himself could couch a team full of kids into the finals. Not going to happen. Club knows it. This year is about development and improving KPIs (just like last year). Wins and losses dont matter.

while Lang is going to be a senior contributor right away, and Kennedy and Garlett are going to come on in leaps and bounds. That eases the burden on the rest of the senior group, which means they play a few less minutes, and play their footy a fair bit sharper.

Sounds like you are putting Lang ahead of kennedy? Or have I misinterpreted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back